Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HDMI Cable Specs???

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dod1450

dod1450

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

I am getting confused between Directv and Sony. The problem is that my HR20 DVR player and my Sony Bravia flat screen keeps losing audio and sometime a purple screen.

Both companies are pointing to each other and I just cannot get a positive lead on what maybe causing the problem. Are these problems being caused by the vendors themselves or is it the cable? If it is the cable what should I look for on buying a new cable?
I have heard there are specs like 1c and others, but which one would be the correct one?

Thank you for reading this.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

OK, what exact Model Sony tv do you have? And which HR20 model do you have -700, or -100? It might help to track down the issue? Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

#3 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:55 AM

I am getting confused between Directv and Sony. The problem is that my HR20 DVR player and my Sony Bravia flat screen keeps losing audio and sometime a purple screen.

Both companies are pointing to each other and I just cannot get a positive lead on what maybe causing the problem. Are these problems being caused by the vendors themselves or is it the cable? If it is the cable what should I look for on buying a new cable?
I have heard there are specs like 1c and others, but which one would be the correct one?

Thank you for reading this.

Try component instead of HDMI.
DTV = Digital Television

#4 OFFLINE   Zieglermd

Zieglermd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:03 AM

Did you look to see if Sony has a new firmware for your TV? I had a similar problem with my 32" XBR9 and the new firmware fixed the purple screen and audio issues.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:06 AM

Any HDMI cable that isn't damaged/defective should work. If you're looking for a version, I'd guess than anything HDMI 1.1 or later will work for 1080i or 720p.

DO NOT spend more than $10 for a 6' cable. We want to discourage price gouging.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

There is nothing wrong with the cable. It is a handshake issue. I can only think of three options: Try component rather than HDMI, update firmware, or change equipment.
DTV = Digital Television

#7 OFFLINE   gibson.guitarman

gibson.guitarman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:54 PM

Another possibility is that the firmware in your D* receiver is corrupt. If this is the case, the component output will probably also not work properly. Try forcing a download by reboot, then when the first screen shows ("Hello ...") press 02468. In two screens it will say that new software is downloading, do not interrupt.

#8 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:07 PM

The HDMI standard is a moving target. We are on HDMI 1.4 right now. Supposedly everything is backwards compatible, and the problems are less with new equipment, but still issues like this pop up.

Here is undoubtably more than you ever wanted to know about HDMI cables from Blue Jeans Cable. While this page is informational, they make reasonably priced, quality cables of all types.

http://www.bluejeans...information.htm
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:21 PM

The HDMI website is the definitive resource for understanding the ins and outs of HDMI.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:19 PM

Any HDMI cable that isn't damaged/defective should work. If you're looking for a version, I'd guess than anything HDMI 1.1 or later will work for 1080i or 720p.

I used to believe this as gospel truth. Then I discovered that it isn't. It is definitely possible to have problems with an HDMI cable that works between two components, yet doesn't work between two other components.

I have a Monoprice 4x1 HDMI Switch. When I bought it, it worked perfectly with my DirecTV receiver, an OPPO upconverting DVD player and a Western Digital WDTV media player.

When I added a Blu-ray player to the mix, it didn't work at 1080i or above. The picture would flash. I tried swapping cables between the other components and the Blu-ray player, but the ohter components continued to work regardless of the cable and the Blu-ray player didn't When I went back to Monoprice's website, I saw that they had added the following recommendation to the page for the HDMI switch:

"NOTE: 24AWG or thicker (lower AWG number) cables are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for best performance. Some devices will require thicker gauge, category 2 cables to work with this switch. For runs up to 15ft, use 24AWG. For runs of 20ft or more, use 22AWG (which is thicker than 24AWG.) Also, some source devices will not work with HDMI cables shorter than 4ft. If you require short HDMI cables, we recommend using at least 4ft 24AWG cables with this switch."

As soon as I installed two 24AWG cables (between the Blu-ray player and the switch and between the switch and the TV), the Blu-ray player worked perfectly. Later, I upgraded my WDTV to the newer WDTV Live + and the picture and audio it stopped playing consistently, even though the resolution from both units was identical. Upgrading the HDMI calble resolved this problem as well.

I'm not recommending that anyone spend a lot of money on cables. I didn't. Where necessary, I replaced 28AWG Monoprice cables with 24AWG Monoprice cables, which were still between $6-7 a cable, and it solved problems.

I don't know why this solved the problems. But it did. Because of my own personal experiences, I no longer believe that an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable and it either works or it doesn't.

#11 OFFLINE   -Draino-

-Draino-

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:57 PM

I've always believed that Sony makes crap TV's. I have yet to see ANY SONY beat a Samsung in any catagory. I say get rid of the Sony and try a different TV

Samsung 55" LED 240Hz HDTV 1080P UN55B8000
(1) HD DVR HR34-700 - 0x808
(1) HD DVR HR24-500 - 
(1) HD DVR HR22-100
(3) HD H24-100

Dell Studio XPS 8300 - Intel Core i7 2600 3.40GHz
Memory: 16GB Dual-Channel
Hard Drive: (2) 500GB RAID 0 (Not Used) 1 Corsair SSD 240GB
Video: Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 1.5GB
27" Viewsonic VX2753MH-LED Digital HDMI
Win7U x64

#12 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:00 PM

The HDMI website is the definitive resource for understanding the ins and outs of HDMI.

Yes, harsh, this definitely is a must read by those who really want to know about HDMI, but this website is the product of an industry group of companies all behind HDMI. It's always laudatory. You do get some real information unavailable elsewhere on this site, but just read it imagining you have a cable with a plug on the end of it pushed down your throat. Gagging is a proper reflex.

I haven't posted in August how much I despise HDMI.

There, that's done.

#13 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:18 AM

I've always believed that Sony makes crap TV's. I have yet to see ANY SONY beat a Samsung in any catagory. I say get rid of the Sony and try a different TV

Any time you have a problem, the first thing to do is just get rid of your $2k-$3k tv and just get a new one recommended by some random stranger on the internet. Dod1450, just send me your crappy sony and I'll take it off your hands. Problem solved.

Edited by mdavej, 10 August 2010 - 08:29 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:32 PM

We all have different tastes but I prefer Sony to Samsung.

#15 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:57 PM

Sony also gets a heck of a lot of credit from me for all the years they made Trinitrons. They were clearly the best TV on the market for a couple of decades.

Sony now makes many different levels of TVs. When I bought my bedroom TV, the cheaper Samsung looked as good or better than the cheaper Sony. I'm not sure the same would be said comparing their high end models.

#16 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:11 PM

DO NOT spend more than $10 for a 6' cable. We want to discourage price gouging.

Ditto.. I've used 6' HDMI cables for several years on two Panny HDTVs that were each about $10 and have had no issues. I can't believe some places sell these HDMI cables for $50+ (and some people buy them!).
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#17 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:15 PM

Might also try double checking the owners manual. Things are supposed to be backwards compatible to HDMI 1.1, but my tv's manual specifically states nothing below 1.3. Not sure how true that really is, but it said it so that is what I got. It isnt like it was any more expensive.

I have had really good luck with Mediabridge cables through Amazon. Inexpensive and have a heavy feel to them.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#18 OFFLINE   gnahc79

gnahc79

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:22 PM

Don't try Samsung :D. Did they ever sort out the bad caps issue?
Video: Panasonic 42" th42ph9uk (2 component blades, 1 hdmi blade)
HR21-200 connected with blue jeans cable component cables & optical cable
Audio: Denon AVR-1602, Energy Connisseur speakers
Remote: Harmony One and an 880
MediaShare: TVersity

#19 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:33 PM

It wasn't just Samsung but an industry-wide shortage of power caps. They just got bit the worst because they made a bad substitution. Oops. Big mistake.

So yes, as an industry, consumer electronics now has plenty of the right type of power caps available. That includes Samsung.

#20 OFFLINE   tlieberg

tlieberg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

Not sure if the original poster still needs help or not -- if he does there are plenty of smart people out here to help but they'll need some more information first.

Is the Bravia new? The HR20 sure isn't - how long have you had both? Did they ever work or are you just connecting them for the first time with HDMI? Did you have them connected with component previously? Do you have another hdmi cable or another hdmi-capable device to connect to the Bravia? Does the Bravia have another hdmi port? What Bravia model is it?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...