Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD...just like DISH

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   capecodsooner

capecodsooner

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:49 AM

FINALLY!!!

But I had to call in and while making other changes was given "HD for free for 24 months" just like Dish does.

Thank you but....

Why did I have to call in to get it? How long were they going to keep taking the $10 if I did not call?:confused:

Bad form DirecTV.

If you had given it to me the other way around I would have thought it was a great CS move and another reason to possibly pimp D to my friends. But this way it is just another reason to continue to think you are just another shady company looking to screw the customer at every turn.

BTW...let all the other D subs on my friends list know they had to call in to get the $10/month savings. They were not impressed either.
Boston Market
Sony KW-5140HW proj. TV
VIZIO 32" HD
OLEVIA 27" HD
VISCO 37" HD
2 x H20-100
2 x H20-600
Hughes SD reciever - Directors Model
Samsung SD reciever
AU-9 Dish/AT-9 Dish/3LNB w/tripod
Sling Boxes(2)
Whole house prewire CAT5/Dual RG-6/5.1 SS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:54 AM

DISH's "free HD for life" doesn't have a limited lifetime of 24 months. This is more than a minor difference. At the same time, it may be that in 24 months, HD programming will be included in all packages.

I don't think DIRECTV's original intention was to make the offer to existing customers.

Quite a few DISH customers had to go through hoops too.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   capecodsooner

capecodsooner

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:07 AM

24 months was a limitation on the CSRs screen....at least that is what they said.
Boston Market
Sony KW-5140HW proj. TV
VIZIO 32" HD
OLEVIA 27" HD
VISCO 37" HD
2 x H20-100
2 x H20-600
Samsung SD reciever
Sling Boxes(2)

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,572 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

You could have started sooner if you had stumbled across this thread. :)
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=178605
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#5 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:54 PM

I was still able to get free hd for life when ordering the choice ultimate package yesterday.

#6 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:32 PM

This "free HD" was a clever marketing move by DISH network. If you read their ads, it expires in November and both DISH and DirecTV ads say "limited time only". The satellite TV companies had to do something to attract customers in the summer when few people are thinking about TV and cable companies are constantly bombarding people with ads for their so-called "free HD".

I wonder what would have happened if DirecTV, DISH network, and cable would have been around when color was introduced? Probably an extra fee from these greedy you-know-what's.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#7 OFFLINE   johns70

johns70

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:33 PM

I got in on the deal about 2 months ago when the other thread was started. I told 3 friends about. They all called in and got HD free for 24 months.

To answer one of the OP's original questions - They would have kept on charging you $10/month for HD for as long as they could have. People forget DIRECTV is a business, their main goal is to maximize profits. It's not a charity.

#8 OFFLINE   Justin85

Justin85

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:50 AM

chilibball, did you call the national number and negotiate free hd for life as a new customer? Have you confirmed that your free hd is showing up on your order on directv.com?

#9 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:24 AM

I had Directv installed back on 5/15/10. I was getting Starz/Showtime for 3 months free. I called yesterday to drop Showtime but keep the Starz package before the rollover to paid happened on 8/14. She puts me on hold to make the changes for a good amount of time and then comes back on with an offer of giving me a $10 credit for 6 months if I keep Showtime along with Starz so I took it. Showtime for a buck, can't beat that!

Getting back to why I replied to this thread: while I had her on the line I said I just saw Free HD advertised on the tv. She put me back on hold and checked to see if I could get it. She came back and said I could only get Free HD for 24 months if I was on autopay (which I am) and if I was an established customer for 4-6 months. What? I thought this Free HD advertised all over the tv and on the website was for New Customers, which she called me when she first checked my account earlier in the call? She said maybe in 6 months I could call back and get it then when I call in about turning off the $1 Showtime.

I've got to call again later tonight after work because I forgot to add the Free CricketTicket when I was on the phone last time so I'll see if CSR roulette can get me the Free HD for 24 months.

#10 OFFLINE   dalejamin

dalejamin

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:01 PM

Man, I'm gonna try calling tonite. I was gonna cancel HBO to save some cash, but maybe they'll cut me a deal. Hate playing CSR roulette, tho :lol:
Dalejamin in Nashvegas
- currently using DTV HR22-100

#11 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:44 PM

I got in on the deal about 2 months ago when the other thread was started. I told 3 friends about. They all called in and got HD free for 24 months.

To answer one of the OP's original questions - They would have kept on charging you $10/month for HD for as long as they could have. People forget DIRECTV is a business, their main goal is to maximize profits. It's not a charity.

I am pretty sure you have to sign-up for auto-pay to get this discount. That is what I was told. And not everyone wants to go on auto-pay.

#12 OFFLINE   capecodsooner

capecodsooner

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:16 PM

I do have auto-pay and a long term (1999) customer. Guess that was the keys to the puzzle.

Now August is my anniversary month...what nugget will I get this year?

3 months preview of Baby Channel? GOL TV????? ESPN3D --SD/2D version mapped and down-rezzed to an alternate location????

:D:D:D
Boston Market
Sony KW-5140HW proj. TV
VIZIO 32" HD
OLEVIA 27" HD
VISCO 37" HD
2 x H20-100
2 x H20-600
Samsung SD reciever
Sling Boxes(2)

#13 OFFLINE   Noyac

Noyac

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:40 PM

Direct TV is definitely not a customer oriented business. I switched to cable and have never been happier.

#14 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:55 PM

Direct TV is definitely not a customer oriented business. I switched to cable and have never been happier.

...DirecTV is not a customer oriented business? That's like saying American Airlines is not a flying oriented business. :rolleyes: DirecTV is a business which depends on customers. Of course they are customer oriented. Hence the reason why they continue to offer deal after deal to entice said customers.

Good luck with that cable provider.
DTV = Digital Television

#15 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:05 PM

...DirecTV is not a customer oriented business? That's like saying American Airlines is not a flying oriented business. :rolleyes: DirecTV is a business which depends on customers. Of course they are customer oriented. Hence the reason why they continue to offer deal after deal to entice said customers.

Good luck with that cable provider.

I wouldn't bring airline companies into this discussion. They probably gather many more complaints than satellite providers. :nono2:
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#16 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:24 PM

I wouldn't bring airline companies into this discussion. They probably gather many more complaints than satellite providers. :nono2:

Satellite TV has never killed anyone :P
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#17 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:56 PM

Satellite TV has never killed anyone :P

Demonstrably not true.

A number of satellite techs have been killed on the job. A Sacramento Dish tech was killed earlier this year. Two DirecTV techs were killed last year, one in Florida and one in Texas. The Texas incident was an electrocution involving an aluminum ladder.

#18 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:19 PM

Ouch! I stand corrected.
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#19 OFFLINE   Maleman

Maleman

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:30 PM

Hmmm I was on the website and it says NEW customers only for FREEHD?

I wonder if I can still get on this.
Panasonic TCP58VT25
HR22/100
Yamaha RX-A800
Definitive Research Pro 1000/2000 Center channel
SVS Sub
Panasonic 3D /Bluray player
PS3/Xbox/Wii

#20 OFFLINE   byrd

byrd

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:03 AM

Hmmm I was on the website and it says NEW customers only for FREEHD?

I wonder if I can still get on this.

Yeah, you can still get in on the deal as an existing customer. I just called last night (Aug 25th), and got the deal with no problem. I'm finally replacing my two old SD DTivos with two HR24-500s. I added the whole home DVR service w/ Internet Connection Kit. When the CSR mentioned the $10/month fee for HD access I brought up the 24/mo free deal. It took her a minute to look it up, and she had to transfer me up the chain to a different CSR, but there was never any issue. I just checked my account and "HD Access - 24mosFreeHDAcc " is listed in my recent activity.

I was also able to get the $99 fee waived for the whole home DVR install. D* said I was eligible for a $99 loyalty credit on a new receiver. Since I wanted to ensure that I received two HR24s, I just bought the receivers myself from amazon.com ($180 each w/ free shipping). I asked if they could apply that credit to the whole home install instead and they did. The second CSR I spoke to said that the first CSR shouldn't have allowed that, but I guess it was too late to take it back by then. They also threw in Showtime for a month and the HD Extra Pack for 3months.

The only problem I'm having now is that I cannot schedule an install date. I keep trying to schedule an install online, and keep getting the message "Sorry, our installation calendar is unavailable at this time." Anyone know if this is common? How far out is D* usually booked for installs. Now that the details are worked out, I'm wanting this installed ASAP (no surprise there).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...