Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD...just like DISH

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:11 AM

Yeah, you can still get in on the deal as an existing customer. I just called last night (Aug 25th), and got the deal with no problem. I'm finally replacing my two old SD DTivos with two HR24-500s. I added the whole home DVR service w/ Internet Connection Kit. When the CSR mentioned the $10/month fee for HD access I brought up the 24/mo free deal. It took her a minute to look it up, and she had to transfer me up the chain to a different CSR, but there was never any issue. I just checked my account and "HD Access - 24mosFreeHDAcc " is listed in my recent activity.

I was also able to get the $99 fee waived for the whole home DVR install. D* said I was eligible for a $99 loyalty credit on a new receiver. Since I wanted to ensure that I received two HR24s, I just bought the receivers myself from amazon.com ($180 each w/ free shipping). I asked if they could apply that credit to the whole home install instead and they did. The second CSR I spoke to said that the first CSR shouldn't have allowed that, but I guess it was too late to take it back by then. They also threw in Showtime for a month and the HD Extra Pack for 3months.

The only problem I'm having now is that I cannot schedule an install date. I keep trying to schedule an install online, and keep getting the message "Sorry, our installation calendar is unavailable at this time." Anyone know if this is common? How far out is D* usually booked for installs. Now that the details are worked out, I'm wanting this installed ASAP (no surprise there).

Call in and schedule the install through the CSR. Sometimes the website acts weird for the install stuff.
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   byrd

byrd

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:22 AM

Call in and schedule the install through the CSR. Sometimes the website acts weird for the install stuff.

They couldn't schedule me last night either. It almost sounded like they were trying to schedule me though their own website (they read the same error message to me over the phone). She said that they'd call me back within 72 hours. She also said that there might be issues with hardware availability in the area, but since I already had the receivers that shouldn't be the issue unless the dishes are the problem, which would be more uncommon. I figured I'd at least wait for the 72 hours, then I'll definitely call if I can't schedule online.

Is the D* install calendar usually pretty full, or can they typically schedule an appointment pretty quickly? Unfortunately they had to activate the 2 new HR24s last night. I'd rather not wait for 3-4 weeks and pay the extra receiver fees for units that are still in boxes. Off lesser importance... it's kind of a waste of the free Showtime and HD Extra.

#23 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

I'd say Directv installs quickly if you choose a weekday install. The 3-4 week delayed installs are probably all the people who only want a weekend-only install so they can be there personally to supervise. I waited about 2-3 weeks for my new installation so it could be on a saturday but all during that time period I was getting calls from the installers offering openings on weekdays if I wanted it earlier.

I'm confused about them having to activate the receivers last night? I don't see how they can even activate new boxed receivers prior to a scheduled install date. I would assume the system would reject it if the csr tried to do it unless the customer was already an active existing customer.

#24 OFFLINE   byrd

byrd

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:04 AM

I'm confused about them having to activate the receivers last night? I don't see how they can even activate new boxed receivers prior to a scheduled install date. I would assume the system would reject it if the csr tried to do it unless the customer was already an active existing customer.

I sounded like they had to activate them since I had purchased the receivers on my own. My two old Tivos are not compatible with the new service, so their computers wouldn't let them add anything to my account until I had compatible hardware. Since I didn't want hardware from the installer, they needed the info of the hardware that I purchased. Of course, this is the first time I've changed anything on the account in 8 years, so I have no idea if this is normal or not.

A weekday install in not an issue for me, but when I try to schedule online everything is blanked out. Hopefully I'll have better luck when (if) they call back on the pone.

#25 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

Ok. That's a little more clearer. What info about the receivers did you give them? If they didn't take the receiver serial/card numbers than more than likely they probably just made notes on the account that you already had receivers you bought and the installer wouldn't need to bring any. If you create an account online at Directv.com it can give you information about the upcoming install and whether or not the receivers are active or not. You'll need the account number they provided you and a valid email address.

#26 OFFLINE   byrd

byrd

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

Ok. That's a little more clearer. What info about the receivers did you give them? If they didn't take the receiver serial/card numbers than more than likely they probably just made notes on the account that you already had receivers you bought and the installer wouldn't need to bring any. If you create an account online at Directv.com it can give you information about the upcoming install and whether or not the receivers are active or not. You'll need the account number they provided you and a valid email address.

I gave them the receiver serial/card numbers. Both units are indeed shown on my account in the My Equipment section. The installation is shown as "Unscheduled" in my Pending Orders. I've been clicking the "Schedule Installation" button all day with no luck. I guess I have to wait for their call. :( It's gonna be a long 72 hours. I've had a 52" HDTV for 2 years. Now that I've finally signed up for HD service, my excitement isn't leaving much room for patience. ;)

#27 OFFLINE   byrd

byrd

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:15 AM

So I called D* back last night to schedule my apt. Looks like I'll have to wait for over a month!! Sept 27th is the best they could do. So much for a bad economy. :rolleyes: Must be a lot of folks out there ordering D*...

Fortunately, they were great about working the credits for me. They verified the free 24mo of free HD and gave me an additional credit for one month since it won't be installed until the end of Sept. They also gave a $5 credit each for the two receivers that they activated early, as well as a credit for one month of the HD Extra Pack. Finally, I asked about the free month of Show time. They said that since I can still watch that in SD, they couldn't give a credit, but they did add on 3 months of Starz, which will last for a couple months after the HD is installed.

I'd love it to be installed early, but all in all, I'm still content.

#28 OFFLINE   JimV

JimV

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

i just find it funny that they dont advertise a thing about it but as soon as they give it to you they send you an email exclaiming how great it is you got the deal and then send a nice glossy marketing postcard saying the same thing.

if they bothered to print up the post free HD discount cards, then they knew this was going to be avialable to existing customers and somehow they are touting it to us as this great deal, but then they probably shouldve at least put something up about the offering ahead of time, or in our invoice or in my 'special deals just for me' monthly emails...
Samsung 46" LCDTV - LN46A550 - HR23-100 / DECA2 / CCK
Onkyo Receiver TX-SR608
Polk Audio 5.1 Speakers
- - - - - -
Olevia 323v and HR21-
- - - -
Old Receivers: R15-100, R15-500, HR21-0700, H20
Customer since 2001

Protected By... spam firewall...And...