Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Installation HD-DVR

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   swannyku

swannyku

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:55 AM

Getting new service set up at a different house... What model number HD DVR are they installing standard now? HR-23?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

Getting new service set up at a different house... What model number HD DVR are they installing standard now? HR-23?

There is no specifc model for new installs. It is whatever the local installer has in the warehouse. It could be HR20s, HR21s, HR22s, HR23s, HR24s.

#3 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,326 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:09 AM

The odds seem to favor an HR22 or an HR23, but any of the other models are possible.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,827 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:16 AM

The odds seem to favor an HR22 or an HR23, but any of the other models are possible.

Based on?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   Grydlok

Grydlok

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

Based on?

His keen dog senses?:whatdidid
Hypocrites with fake rumors need not apply.

#6 OFFLINE   themaestro

themaestro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

There is no specifc model for new installs. It is whatever the local installer has in the warehouse. It could be HR20s, HR21s, HR22s, HR23s, HR24s.

That really grinds my gears.

Why did I get a HR20-100 in June? I want the latest and best, loyal customer for years, I deserve to get the best they have when I upgraded to HD this summer. Signed on for 2 more years,

The service tech is coming to get me back up and running tomorrow, so I am going to see what he says.

#7 OFFLINE   Daniel

Daniel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:48 PM

I just has a 'Whole Home' install and got 2 HR21s and an R22. My wife was POed that we didn't get the HR24s. I was just happy to get the installer out of my house after six hours so that I could finish the install properly. The idiot couldn't figure out how to program the remotes and spent over an hour trying.

#8 OFFLINE   swannyku

swannyku

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:40 PM

Has anyone had any luck requesting a model day of? Or just straight up denying a receiver already?

#9 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:43 PM

You get what you get. If you want a specific model, acquire it yourself.
DTV = Digital Television

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,827 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:51 PM

If the installer shows up and you try to send him away because he doesn't have what you want, it wastes everyone's time and at the very least you'll have nothing until he brings what you want.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   themaestro

themaestro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:52 PM

You get what you get. If you want a specific model, acquire it yourself.

That's pathetic.

A loyal customer for years and I have to fight to get the latest and best when I decided to upgrade and get a new 2yr commitment. My own stupidity for assuming I would be getting the best and newest gear. That's what I get, have come on here many times, but was naive and didn't come on here to ask what gear I should have been looking to get. As I said in another thread I will hopefully talk with some people, hopefully they can do something.

What is the best DVR out there, and even the best dish?

#12 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:04 PM

That's pathetic.

A loyal customer for years and I have to fight to get the latest and best when I decided to upgrade and get a new 2yr commitment. My own stupidity for assuming I would be getting the best and newest gear. That's what I get, have come on here many times, but was naive and didn't come on here to ask what gear I should have been looking to get. As I said in another thread I will hopefully talk with some people, hopefully they can do something.

What is the best DVR out there, and even the best dish?

There are very minor differences between the various HD-DVR's. You can add more storage (externally) to any of them. Not all of them have a OTA tuner included, but you can add one on if your locals are not available via DirecTV. The HR24 may be a bit snapper, but the are all the same beast for the most part.
DTV = Digital Television

#13 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:09 PM

We were getting mixed batches of HR24 and HR22.

The HR22 are the color decaled boxes you would have gotten in a Big box store like Best Buy or Costco.

All are brand new.

Never know though, this week it might be all refurbished HR20-100's.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#14 OFFLINE   themaestro

themaestro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:47 PM

There are very minor differences between the various HD-DVR's. You can add more storage (externally) to any of them. Not all of them have a OTA tuner included, but you can add one on if your locals are not available via DirecTV. The HR24 may be a bit snapper, but the are all the same beast for the most part.

Thanks for info.

Capacity is my biggest concern, as I said I record a lot of the European football leagues, doesn't take much HD recordings to start filling it up this HR20 quickly. May look into adding external storage if I can't get another model.

#15 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:00 PM

Which one did you get on your Direct TV install?
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#16 OFFLINE   Joe C

Joe C

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:24 AM

If the installer shows up and you try to send him away because he doesn't have what you want, it wastes everyone's time and at the very least you'll have nothing until he brings what you want.

And how how does a frustrated customer tell this tone deaf company that they are not happy with the equipment that the installer is bringing ?

#17 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:22 AM

And how how does a frustrated customer tell this tone deaf company that they are not happy with the equipment that the installer is bringing ?

There isn't much to be unhappy about so long as the equipment works properly.
DTV = Digital Television

#18 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

I was to have HD installed a couple of weeks back. Due to LOS issues, they weren't able to do the install, however the installer had an HR20 for me.

#19 OFFLINE   goldwing

goldwing

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSW OHIO

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:17 PM

I hate when ppl bring up the option to add more storage to there dvr when thats not really a option unless you dont mind having the internal one disabled. Your not adding anything....your replacing. Now if dtv would ever get off there ... and write firmware that would enable adding to what you already have like you can with dish vips then ok. I have hd concerts that i recorded 4 years ago that i still watch during poker games which i would lose if i "added" an external drive. Dont get me started on missing OTA either...thats a whole other rant :)

Even time warner and cox cable let you add space without losing your internal stuff....why cant dtv?

#20 OFFLINE   slo_dave

slo_dave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:34 PM

I'll let you know what I get tomorrow. I have an MRV install scheduled for 12-4 and have 2 HD DVR's and 3 HD receivers and internet connection in the order.
I have notes in the order to only bring HR24 and H24's. I know, I know you get what you get but can't hurt to have in the order. Hopefully the notes make it down to the local installers.
Is it normal procedure for installer to call day before or morning of install to verify? If he does I'll make sure he knows my wishes. There is no way I'm taking a refurb HR20.. I shelled out $400+ for my "leases".
Sweet install waiting for the tech. I've already ran brand new RG6 drops to all locations, terminated in wall ready to go. All ran back to central location in garage along with a cat5 to my router.
Power outlet right there also. I used to be a cable modem installer in a prior life ;)
I hate to do it but if he does not call ahead of time and shows up with beat up receivers .. I'll have to reschedule install.

Edited by slo_dave, 10 August 2010 - 12:58 PM.

spam firewall