Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Installation HD-DVR

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   The Big Bad

The Big Bad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:56 PM

Based on my recent experience, you're going to be limited by what the installer has in his van. I had the whole home service installed last weekend and as part of that I ordered a new HD DVR. I had every intent of refusing the HD DVR if it was not an HR24 -- the customer service rep said that I could do so and get my purchase/lease price refunded. The installer initially said that the HD DVR he did not believe the HD DVR was an HR24. When I told him I was going to refuse it, he said that he would check his van. All he was finding were non-HR24s -- I was right there as he was going through the boxes -- but he finally found one (and only one). I lucked out.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,647 posts
  • LocationChicago - W. Suburbs

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:12 PM

And how how does a frustrated customer tell this tone deaf company that they are not happy with the equipment that the installer is bringing ?

You would have a hard time telling one machine from another. Maybe another provider is what you need.

House #1:
HR20-700 -> LG 42LH40 LCD (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21N -> Slingbox Solo (component)
and AverTV HD DVR C027 card on Lenovo desktop (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21 -> Samsung HL-R4266W (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
Insignia NS-55L260A13 Rev E (HDMI)
C31-700 -> Sansui SLED1980E (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

More details are available here.

#23 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,937 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:54 PM

Based on?

Observation of recent install reports here and elsewhere. This typically yields much more accurate results than what happened weeks or months ago or, heaven forbid, rationalizing that it must be one way or another based on the DIRECTV's unquestionable benevolence.

Edited by harsh, 10 August 2010 - 11:06 PM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#24 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,937 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:05 PM

There isn't much to be unhappy about so long as the equipment works properly.

I think the message here is that different people have different views of what "works properly" means.

It is surely possible to be functional and still not be up to expectations. This is especially true when the wildfire of a hot new model spreads.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#25 OFFLINE   Joe C

Joe C

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:35 AM

You would have a hard time telling one machine from another.

Really ? The model number is right on the cardboard box and on the sticker on the back of the DVR itself.

#26 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:47 AM

I think the message here is that different people have different views of what "works properly" means.

It is surely possible to be functional and still not be up to expectations. This is especially true when the wildfire of a hot new model spreads.

Which DirecTV receiver are you currently using?
DTV = Digital Television

#27 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,647 posts
  • LocationChicago - W. Suburbs

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:46 PM

Really ? The model number is right on the cardboard box and on the sticker on the back of the DVR itself.

I mean that one model behaves so much like all the others that you couldn't tell much without looking at the box or the sticker.

House #1:
HR20-700 -> LG 42LH40 LCD (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21N -> Slingbox Solo (component)
and AverTV HD DVR C027 card on Lenovo desktop (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21 -> Samsung HL-R4266W (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
Insignia NS-55L260A13 Rev E (HDMI)
C31-700 -> Sansui SLED1980E (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

More details are available here.

#28 OFFLINE   slo_dave

slo_dave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

I'll let you know what I get tomorrow. I have an MRV install scheduled for 12-4 and have 2 HD DVR's and 3 HD receivers and internet connection in the order.

Installer just left..

2 brand new HR24's :D
3 brand new H24's :D

I got lucky, he said it was the first new receivers he has seen in a month. Otherwise it would have been HR21's

#29 OFFLINE   swannyku

swannyku

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:42 AM

My installation is today so we shall see.... I at least want the HR-22 for the 500GB of space as opposed to the 320GB

*** Installed a HR24-500... Has a quicker response time and a better looking design. Other than that, about the same as my old HR22

Edited by swannyku, 12 August 2010 - 02:06 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...