Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Picture in Picture

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DirectMan

DirectMan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

In the transcript of the 2Q Conference Call CEO Michael White is quoted as "We're looking at picture in picture." GREAT!

I read some posts in the past which indicated that it would be difficult/impossible? to set that up with existing D* equipment - does the newer HR-24 / H-24 equipment have this capability if enabled?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,682 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:10 PM

No, the newer H24/HR24 do not have PIP.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,082 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:21 PM

No, the newer H24/HR24 do not have PIP.

I think he's asking if the HR24s are technologically able to do PiP.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   DirectMan

DirectMan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:45 PM

I think he's asking if the HR24s are technologically able to do PiP.

Yes could a system or software upgrade by D* enable PIP or is there some chip or board level capability missing in the current equipment for PIP. Thus could PIP be a one year away possibility or maybe never with existing equipment? I would think that a DVR would have the dual tuner requirement for PIP.

#5 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,946 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:18 PM

How exactly would PiP work?! :confused:

~Alan

#6 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:50 PM

I'm going to speculate that the dual tuner might be how this could work. I would doubt that a single tuner would work. The receiver might have the ability to put both tuner feeds on the screen. Perhaps the receiver software could control which feed you are able to hear.

I would love to see this if it is possible. I currently have PIP on my plasma with 2 separate HD receivers. This works just fine for me, but it would be nice to eliminate one receiver for PIP.

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - 2014

#7 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,483 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

How exactly would PiP work?! :confused:

~Alan

It would put one channel in a small box overlayed onto another channel, or both perhaps both channels side by side.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#8 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,801 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:16 PM

While the chipset may not natively support PIP, I see no reason that a small video from the second tuner - like the Picture in Guide, couldn't be programmed.

There were many that said we'd never get double play but . . .

I have P&P (side by side - varying sizes) supported by the TV and 2 dvrs. Very useful with football or busy news / sports days.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#9 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 813 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

Maybe a 2 way mix channel where I could specify the stations. They already have the mix channels today. Now all they would need to do is convert those into a 2 way that uses the tuners in the box instead of a dedicated feed from DTV.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#10 OFFLINE   mikeak

mikeak

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:29 PM

They have 2 tuners in the box

They have the ability to make a small picture in the upper corner (when you use the guide etc)

They have the ability to have both tuners active at the same time (double-play)

Now it would "just" be about overlaying the smaller picture on the big picture. Question is if we would live with it as going over that part of the picture (I say yes) or they need to "shrink" the original picture as well

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,187 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:30 PM

While the chipset may not natively support PIP, I see no reason that a small video from the second tuner - like the Picture in Guide, couldn't be programmed.

You give far too much credit to the CPU in a DVR. It doesn't have the horsepower to decode and render a video stream, much less scale it. That must be done in hardware.

The HR21-3 lack the secondary decode functionality necessary to put two motion video streams on the screen at once. PIG is not a valid comparison as it uses a dedicated character generator to render text and static graphics. The HR20, on the other hand, has two rendering facilities as well as a character generator just like that used in the DISH ViP series that does feature PIP.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:14 PM

I would think the HR24 would be able to do it with a software update. It has double play which seems like a similar idea to PiP. My old could cable DVR could do PiP is the HR24 has got to be far more powerful that that.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...