Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DishArc

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

I'm trying to find out the "easy" way to back up an ext HD. I keep seeing "just search DishArc here and it will tell you", but I really don't find any threads explaining the process in full.

1. What Linux software do you need to run on Windows 7? Do you need to boot to Linux, or is there software that runs within Windows? I see UFS Explorer, Explore2fs, DiskInternals Linux Reader, and the Ext2 Installable File System for Windows mentioned.... which is best for a novice?

2. I see Acronis mentioned a lot, can Macrium be used, or do you need either if you can drag and drop with the above in #1?

3. Can you archive to a Windows PC HD folder, or does it need to be to another ext HD?

4. Can the subfolders (each recording) from an ext HD on a 211 be added to the DishArc folder of a 722?

Just trying to start a thread here with all the answers.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:45 PM

This track could be killed any time if Mods will think it is going out of bounds.

4. No.
3. Yes.

Two common rules:
- store for future transfer to regular EHD: to any file OS
- use any SW what would allow to do 2 functions: copy from EHD [EXT3] to your choice storage and copy back to EHD what is EXT3 type.

#3 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

I did not know the answer to #4. Thank you P Smith for the answer.

I use Ext2Fsd, which is downloadable from Source Forge or http://www.ext2fsd.com.

I am working on retrieving program information from the smallest file, cat, which is always 560 bytes long.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#4 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:08 AM

What would make this go "out of bounds"? There's nothing wrong with backing up a hard drive is there? HD's don't last forever, just looking for the easiest way to save a copy. It's not like the data is usable on anything but Dish equipment. Going to start playing with it today, I just know nothing about Linux, and didn't want to install anything that would mess up my W7 PC. I'll start with Ext2Fsd.

edit: I just noticed Ext2Fsd site says: "Windows 7 or Windows server 2008 R2 are not supported yet" too bad, I'm on W7.

Edited by tcatdbs, 10 August 2010 - 10:29 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

edit: I just noticed Ext2Fsd site says: "Windows 7 or Windows server 2008 R2 are not supported yet" too bad, I'm on W7.

Don't worry about it. It works fine on Windows 7 and Server R2. That's what my machines are.

They just haven't verified it yet. ;)

#6 OFFLINE   PeggyD

PeggyD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:54 PM

They don't mention Macs at all, but I've been using for sometime with EyeTV, using version 3.4.2 currently.

#7 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:35 PM

What would make this go "out of bounds"? There's nothing wrong with backing up a hard drive is there? HD's don't last forever, just looking for the easiest way to save a copy. It's not like the data is usable on anything but Dish equipment. Going to start playing with it today, I just know nothing about Linux, and didn't want to install anything that would mess up my W7 PC. I'll start with Ext2Fsd.

If you have Windows on it it is already messed up. I only use Windows when I run my Hallmark Card program. I do everything else on Linux. It is so much easier and faster.

#8 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:06 PM

OK, need some help. I installed ext2fsd on my W7 computer. Seems to be there, opens up, shows all my Windows drives and letters. I unplugged my external drive from my VIP211, plugged it into a USB port with ext2 running. Now I have "Disk 7" showing 3 blank lines, all with "linux" as physical object but nothing else. Says "Disk 7: not recognized".

Now what? Do I need to assign a drive letter? Do I need a partition assigned on one of my internal HD's? I am shooting in the dark here, any help appreciated.

edit: OK, I right clicked Disk 7 and hit refresh. Now I have EXT3, SWAP, and EXT3 on the 3 lines. Various file sizes on each. I can click to open info on each. How do I open, or copy to a Windows folder?

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,854 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:17 PM

You should forget 211's files - there is no DishArc folder with sub-folders, encrypted, not compatible with 622/722/922's EHD, different name convention - linear.

Edited by P Smith, 12 August 2010 - 09:28 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:23 PM

OK, it was easiest to get to. I'll try my 722 later. Do I need drive letters assigned? Or will it automatically assign once I have a722 EXT HD attached?

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,854 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

For Linux it doesn't matter and for latest versions of Windows too - you chose worst path to 'heaven' or 'hell'. :)
Mount could be done to any point of file system.

Using UFS Explorer or WinHex would be much easy for you.

#12 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:45 PM

Good news is my 211 HD still works. Why would it matter that files are encrypted (I thought they were on all Dish HD's). Seems you should be able to back up whatever is on it, even if you can't read it. Ext2fsd looks pretty easy, just not sure about getting Linux files showing up in a Windows folder (and moving them). It shows up in "disk management", but not when I open "My Computer". I assume a drive letter needs to be assigned to show up there. I'm not looking to move 211 files to 722, just want to back up in case HD failure. Will attack my 722 tomorrow night.

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,854 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:56 PM

Well, then you MUST backup and first 2 GB partition with catalogs and system files, because 3rd partition is carry only recording - so for your endeavor you're coming to backup two partitions as is.

#14 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:26 AM

Sorry, no clue what you mean. I "think" you mean create a 2gb partition on my internal drive, and assign it a drive letter. Then use a 3rd party imaging program (say Macrium Reflect) to copy/clone the Linux partition(s). Not sure what you mean "catalogs and system files". :confused:

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,854 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:33 AM

Because you don't see the difference between SYSTEM disk ( what is connected to 211 ) and EHD for 622/722/922. You started new thread with one intention [DishArc backup/restore] but slip into totally different subject without any clue. If you would stick with old threads it wouldn't be noticeable. Now ...

#16 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:39 AM

I am not sure what he means either.

Here is what I do:
  • Plug the EHD from your 722 into the Windows machine.
  • Open Ext2 Volume manager.
  • Assign drive letters to partitions 2 and higher on the EHD.
  • Copy folders from the DishArc folder(s) on your EHD to your backup location.
Optionally, you can copy folders back to DishArc on a different EHD.

Note, you can use xcopy or drag & drop to copy. Both work fine.

I have only done this with my ViP 722, but with several different drives.

#17 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:32 PM

Thanks, will try that tonight. Also no clue what he means about sticking to threads. All my questions have strictly to do with how to back up and ext HD using Windows/Linus software. I "assumed" files from a 211 ext HD or 722 ext HD could be backed up this way, but if only the 722 can be, I have no problem with that. Never used-tried-or thought about Linux until this week.

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,854 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:27 PM

He mean: you did open a thread "DishArc" but went to 211's system disk where is no DishArc.

#19 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:45 PM

Sorry, not everyone knows that... I thought it was just slang for "Dish Archiving". I want to "Arc" anything that might die... (except myself).

#20 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,854 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:23 PM

[Go to sperm bank and donate now :).]

But if we will continue discuss 211 backup, then it would be easy to make an image of the disk and store it ( and copies if you wish ) on BR or other HDD or tapes. For imaging you could use Clonzilla, Ghost, Acronis, etc.

Edited by P Smith, 13 August 2010 - 06:30 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...