Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DishArc

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:11 PM

OK, what I did:
1. Installed ext2fsd on W7, opens with no problem.
2. Plugged in ext HD from 722. 2 partitions show up, 1gb and 464gb
3. Opened Macrium Reflect, "Disk 8" with the 2 partitions show up. Right click to create disk image... 2 hours later success.
4. I can also open "My Computer" and can open the folders on the 722 ext HD. The 1 gb partition has 1 folder "Lost + Found" that's empty. The 464 gb partition has 1 empty "Lost + Found" folder, and one "Disharc" folder. It's full of 8 digit folders, each with bm, cat, tsp, and wtt files. I am in the process of copying the Disharc folder to my W7 machine.

Question: Can folders (the 8 digit ones) be copied from one 722 HD to a different 722 HD (ie: drag the "movies" from a small drive to a large drive), after copying the folders from the small drive onto my computer, and then to the large drive? Copying is very slow (25mb/sec)!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,320 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:32 PM

Yes.

If you'll use direct connection to SATA channel or if your board has eSATA, the speed will be 60+ MBps at least.

#23 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:59 PM

Doing a test, restoring the image to another drive I had laying around. Taking just as long to restore as to make the image. Using SATA to USB (internal drives plugged into a cradle, easy to swap).

Is it better to just restore the image directly to the ext drive, or should I format the drive with the 722 first, then restore? I guess I'll find out in about an hour when this finishes up, I just restored each partition directly.

Is there supposed to be 2 partitions? The 1gb partition doesn't seem to have anything in it, but it was formated with the 722, so it must have created both.

#24 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,320 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:43 PM

There was a catch - those EHD formatted (say keyed) to particular account), so you should use already formatted EHD. If you'll find more, don't forget to post here. ;)

#25 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:46 PM

Results: After restoring the image of my current drive to a second drive (this was a drive that was attached as eSATA several years ago and "died", or at least was not recognized, so I replaced it with my current drive), I turned off the 722, plugged in the 2nd drive, turned on the 722 (no reboot), and presto! :) "My Medea" folder shows up exactly like on the 1st drive. Started and played one of the movies, no flaws.

It took a LONG time to restore image to 2nd drive (only 175 gb). Took 2 hours to create image, and about 4 hrs to restore it to the second drive. The original drive is a 500gb drive, the second 640gb. Had no problems restoring the 175gb image. I do have 3 HD icons showing up when I open "My Computer" (nothing connected now), but I assume they'll go away when I reboot.

Very happy! And I didn't have to learn anything about Linux!

edit: I've been trying to "analyze" the Disharc files and can't seem to see how Disharc makes subfolders. I have 10 episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm on my Ext HD, and they are in one folder since they have the same title. I can identify the 10 folders each episode occupies in the Disharc back up (by small file size). They are not in their own subfolder (like they show up on the 722), and there's no additional files that would seem to bring them together into their own folder. The reason I am trying to figure this out is if there was a "method" then maybe manual folders could be created to categorise recordings on an ext HD. Sure be nice if Dish provided this ability through the 722 menus!

Edited by tcatdbs, 17 August 2010 - 09:11 AM.

#26 OFFLINE   yt8znu35

yt8znu35

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:34 AM

As mentioned, there are plenty of tools for doing this in Windows. However, it is a very simple operation when undertaken under Linux natively. I happen to run a Linux desktop. I simply hot-mounted the old, full 1TB MyBook and the new 2TB MyBook (pre-formatted by the 622) and, as root, copied the second and third partitions of the old disk to the second and third partitions of the new disk. (The first partition is reserved.)

Prior to the copy, as an experiment I formatted the 2TB disk as a single ext3 partition to see if the 622 would recognize it. It did not and the disk had to be reformatted by the 622. I was hoping to save some space wasted by the default formatting scheme--pri, pri, pri and extended with two logicals.

#27 OFFLINE   bamaredwingsfan

bamaredwingsfan

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

hate to bump this old thread, but i have an old EHD that was trying to go bad, so i replaced it with a new EHD. My question is, since im still using the same DVR (211k) can i copy the contents of the old EHD to the new EHD an save my recording before the old EHD crapps out? I have a windows7 PC with a ubuntu setup on it as well. Any suggestions for me? I connected the old EHD to the ubuntu pc and it would pull up all the files on the EHD but it would not let me copy them to my internal HD on the PC. I have used about 250 Gigz of the original 750GB EHD.

#28 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,320 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

create backup EXT2 partition big enough to copy all the DVR's files and folders under Ubuntu

#29 OFFLINE   rbgator95

rbgator95

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

Hi

Using Win7, Acronis True Image 2013 recognized the external 2TB HD formatted by the vip622. External HD was plugged into laptop via USB - nothing special.

I would like to purchase a second 2TB external HD, also plug into laptop via USB, and "clone" the contents of the external HD formatted by the 622 - effectively making a backup copy of the original external HD. Can this be done using True Image? Or will it only write to hard drives that are NTFS formatted?

Thanks.

#30 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,320 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Hi

Using Win7, Acronis True Image 2013 recognized the external 2TB HD formatted by the vip622. External HD was plugged into laptop via USB - nothing special.

I would like to purchase a second 2TB external HD, also plug into laptop via USB, and "clone" the contents of the external HD formatted by the 622 - effectively making a backup copy of the original external HD. Can this be done using True Image? Or will it only write to hard drives that are NTFS formatted?

Thanks.

Please read post #26

spam firewall