Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

YES Network- Fake ball hitting mit sound

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:00 AM

Since we are talking about YES, did anyone else who has EI not have today's game appear on YES and NESN? I was able to watch in on MLBNet, and on the game mix channel, but both the direct NESN and YES feed just showed the DirecTV logo.

I've randomly had that happen with MLS DK HD games, but its only one of my IRDs. I think its a Guide data corruption issue where the data is pointing at the wrong TP/feed. I can go to a different IRD and the game is there fine.
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:01 AM

Thanks guys....I guess it was just me. All of the other games came in fine. It didn't bother me too much since the Yankee feed was on MLBNet anyway.

#23 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,435 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:05 AM

First time I've paid any attention to this channel. What's with the fake sound effects of the ball hitting the catchers mit on every pitch? Seriously???????

Dude. Did you just call MLB on XM?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#24 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:16 AM

I once was given tickets to a WW-whatever-it-was wrestling exhibition. I think they have something under the ring surface that they whack it with to make the impacts seem violent. They blew their timing a few times so we I heard "thunks" when nothing was happening in the ring.

I remember a couple of decades ago, back when Wade Boggs was having marital problems, and I was watching a road game that probably had fewer than 10,000 fans in attendance. When Boggs was at the plate, this solitary voice of someone who was sitting near one of the "crowd" microphones said, "Hey, Boogs. Margo's here. She isn't wearing any underwear." All of the crowd microphones were then abruptly shut off for the remainder of the game. It was really eerie, hearing a baseball telecast with no crowd noise.

#25 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,907 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:28 AM

Did they think he was nuts?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#26 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,435 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:30 AM

Did they think he was nuts?

They said they'd check it out. Was a quickie at the end of the show.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#27 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:15 PM

Nope. Wasn't me. There must be two of us with above average intelligence. :D
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#28 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,435 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:46 PM

Nope. Wasn't me. There must be two of us with above average intelligence. :D

Hah!

I've watched some YES highlights and have yet to hear a ball hit the glove when the bat hits the ball.

You know that makes noise, too, right?

#29 OFFLINE   juniormaj

juniormaj

Legend

• Registered
  • 430 posts
  • LocationNewbury Park, CA

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:52 AM

OK.
I was intrigued by this one. I never watch the Yankees on YES, but I do have the MLB.TV package in addition to the EI package on DirecTV.
I watched the YES broadcast archive of the game from the 9th and there is something strange going on with the audio at nearly every pitch. I don't think it's a fake "glove pop", but I do hear a phony sounding "whoosh" right around the time the ball crosses the plate.
My theory is that the parabolic mic is possibly picking up the sound of the ball cutting through the air, or maybe they are adding it artificially (for whatever possible reason there could be to do that).
Either way, I hear it.
I watch a lot of other teams games and never hear anything quite that out of place.
I would record it, but I don't know if I would need the consent of Major League Baseball.

Edit

Upon further review, I think it might be the sound effect of the pitch speed graphic when it drops down. All of the on screen graphics on YES have an overly loud sound effect that goes with them, and I think it's just the little yellow drop down tab with the MPH on it.
You can hear a taken pitch at about 8 seconds in, and a hit pitch at about 26 seconds. They both have a "whoosh".

Attached Files

Edited by juniormaj, 11 August 2010 - 05:16 AM.
Further review, added mp3

#30 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:33 PM

Hum.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#31 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,435 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:12 PM

Hum.

No hum at all. I watched. You are full of it.

#32 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:45 PM

Spoke to the YES guys today and they chuckled. As far as they know (these weren't the technical guys), absolutely no sound effects at all.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#33 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:05 PM

Spoke to the YES guys today and they chuckled. As far as they know (these weren't the technical guys), absolutely no sound effects at all.

Well, It doesn't get any more official than that now does it?
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#34 OFFLINE   scrybigtv

scrybigtv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 307 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:26 PM

I once was given tickets to a WW-whatever-it-was wrestling exhibition. I think they have something under the ring surface that they whack it with to make the impacts seem violent. They blew their timing a few times so we I heard "thunks" when nothing was happening in the ring.

I remember a couple of decades ago, back when Wade Boggs was having marital problems, and I was watching a road game that probably had fewer than 10,000 fans in attendance. When Boggs was at the plate, this solitary voice of someone who was sitting near one of the "crowd" microphones said, "Hey, Boogs. Margo's here. She isn't wearing any underwear." All of the crowd microphones were then abruptly shut off for the remainder of the game. It was really eerie, hearing a baseball telecast with no crowd noise.

Thanks alot, AAMike; I just sprayed what was supposed to be a good-size swallow of Bud all over my keyboard. After I finished my laugh attack, I couldn't help wondering if Margo was actually in attendance…and with no underwear. :lol:

#35 OFFLINE   SB-Kcx

SB-Kcx

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

With 25 years of experience in live sports television, I decided to respond to this thread, although it is old and may not be picked up by the original people that made the post. 

Years back, during the days when there was a responsibility of truth in broadcasting, you would be unable to call this a live telecast if a pre-recorded audio effect were used.  Today, few people care about truth and honesty, so I am not surprised to find this going on.  I have been laughing at this for years now, ever since it started.   

Anyone that takes a moment to listen to this carefully, will have to agree that  it is a "canned sound effect".  The many errors of the sound occurring during foul balls, passed balls and hits make it an easy to uncover that.  And this repetitive sound, rarely changing with pitch speed?  Who is kidding who?   Yesterday, I actually heard the effect used when the pitcher caught the catchers throw back.  I guess that was an effort to make a joke from the guy who pushes the button.

The Parabolic Dishes on both sides of the plate would not reproduce the action sound behind the plate as such.  That sound track they use was recorded much closer to the source.  This is the only way to technically achieve suck robust low frequency response (full sound).

I guess someone thinks that this is a great idea.  They surely spend a lot of effort and make a pile of mistakes preforming it.  In the end it is only a distraction to the game viewer and has no value included in a live telecast.  

Edited by SB-Kcx, 12 July 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#36 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

This thread is comical.  Most RSNs and sports networks have special mics on the field aimed at the plate, bullpens, etc.  The sounds of the actual game we hear are real.

• sigma1914 likes this
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#37 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

ALL?? 

Virtually all my BB viewing is on Comcast Sports Net Bay Area, and they do a good job with the telecast, a very good job frequently. Also, some on ESPN, and I don't believe they muck with sound effects, either. 

But if it's Fox, whom I dislike for the announcers and occasional second rate camera work, I wouldn't be surprised. They used to have a sound byte that went with putting up the score bug in upper left that drove me batty. 

Glad this thread is revived, and now I will listen closer to the Closer, especially. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#38 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

Who would start a thread like this? :rotfl: 

Perhaps I Misremembered.

#39 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

I also heard that sometimes the players aren't real. They're holograms. This way they can control exactly what happens on the field to deliver a better overall viewing experience.

• sigma1914 likes this

#40 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 416 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:10 AM

Along the same lines... there is a weird, annoying almost type-writer sound on MASN's coverage of the Nationals games on many, but not all, pitches. I watch far more Orioles games (as Gary Thorne is a brilliant man) and hear it occasionally, but certainly not every pitch. Considering all the loud, obnoxious noises on YES (the graphics, Yankees fans, Michael Kay) it wouldn't surprise me if they pump in crowd noise and baseball sound effects.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

spam firewall