Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upgrading to HD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tpwillie

tpwillie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

I got an offer in the mail today for a good deal on the upgrade to HD so I decided to do it. I would like to know what to expect.

I have a Dish 500 on 119 and 110. I live in zip 47872 and get the locals from Terre Haute, IN. Does that mean I will be on the Eastern Arc and will Dish give me the locals in HD?

I'm sure I will get a new dish and will probobly get a 722 to replace the 625 Duo DVR and a 211 to replace the 508D Solo. Does that sound right so far?

Is it worth the effort to make sure I get the 722K and the 211K instead of older models? What would I lose if I didn't get the K models?

The current 625 feeds a TV in the kitchen on channel 3 and the TV2 goes to a TV in the basement. The TV at the 625 will be fed via HDMI. How can I get a channel 3 output on the 722? Will I need to get an OTA module?

What does the OTA module add besides an additional tuner for recording?

I know that if I add an external HD to the 211 I will be charged for it. Will that same fee also allow me to add an external HD to the 722?

I currently have the the outside antenna hooked to each receiver. To get OTA stations I have to turn off the receiver. Will I still have to do that?

That for the help and time and consideration for answering my questions.

Lou

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:16 PM

What does the OTA module add besides an additional tuner for recording?

Lou,

Without the module, the 772k has no OTA capability. It "only" has two satellite tuners.

With the OTA module you get two OTA tuners and also a coax output for down-rezzed OTA on either Channel 3 or 4.

Assuming you have subscribed to your locals from Dish, the OTA channels will be displayed in your guide and you'll be able to record them just as you do the Sat offerings. You will see a different symbol for the OTA tuners in the timer schedule. It is really pretty amazing to be simultaneously recording four events while also simultaneously viewing two different previously recorded shows in two different rooms. :D

#3 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:00 PM

You could get the 622 which is the same thing as the 722K with a smaller recording capacity and slower processor.

The 622/722/722K will allow you to put TV1 over one RF channel and TV2 over another RF channel between OTA channels 21-69 or Cable channels 73-125.

You can choose one of the OTA channels above 52 and put a 700Mhz Band Pass Filter between your OTA antenna and the rest of your system and you should be able to use the same cable for your OTA antenna, TV1 & TV2. For example, if you have:
OTA channels 2, 11, 13, 24, 45, 54, 67
622 TV1 on Channel 68
622 TV2 on Channel 69

You can tune to any of your OTA channels on your TV on their regular channel numbers or switch to your receiver by tuning to ch. 68 or 69.

Also, you can feed the same cable into the 722/722K and your OTA channels will be integrated with your receiver (as described by SaltiDawg).

The advantage is that people could be using TV1 and TV2 and someone else could be watching OTA at the same time or you could be recording four programs and you could be watching OTA.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#4 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:33 AM

You could get the 622 which is the same thing as the 722K with a smaller recording capacity and slower processor.

Some other differences. Two vice one OTA Tuners with the 722k, as discussed above. Also, with the 722k you can actually backup your timer and remote settings to the remote. should you need to replace your 722k receiver you will be able to restore those timers and settings to the new receiver from the remote. You also can output one OTA tuner's down rezzed viewings on Ch 3 or Ch4 with the 722k. With the other VIP receivers you cannot view OTA live at TV2 in Dual mode.

Edited by SaltiDawg, 10 August 2010 - 01:22 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   tpwillie

tpwillie

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for the replys so far. I especially like the idea from JSK to add the OTA channels in with the TV1 and TV2 outputs.

Lou

Protected By... spam firewall...And...