Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Receiving C-Band Signals with a Ku-Band Dish?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mentat

Mentat

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

Hey all. So I'm still hunting down parts and deciding how much I want to invest in my FTA set-up, and I'm wondering if anyone has tried receiving C-Band signals with their small aperture (is that the right term? For one of the little DBS-style antennas typically used for Ku-Band signals?) dish? According to the FTA Show guys in New Zealand, they managed to get a weak-ish signal, but with very few drop outs. And "Rick's Satellite" is selling a conical scalar (link added to show what I'm talking about. If people feel it strays too close to "Advertising" I'll remove it) to "add C-Band to your small dish."

Of course, the larger the dish, the better the signal, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried this in the ConUS, and if they had any success? From what I've been able to learn from browsing the forums here, religious and international programming is all over Ku-Band, but the fun stuff (wild feeds, things like that) are in the C-Band. I mean, theoretically, signal is signal, and a solid dish should bring that signal in, regardless of its frequency range (at least, until we get talking about waveguides, metallic meshes, things of that nature), so shouldn't reception be possible, though weak?

Right now, I don't have a place of my own, and when I find a job I'll probably be living in an apartment building, so a BUD doesn't look too likely to be in my near future. I'd love to know if getting even some C-Band with a small dish is viable (if not reliable), so I can at least have a chance to play with it before everything goes encrypted or proprietary or something.

Edited by Mentat, 10 August 2010 - 11:30 AM.
Cleaned up grammar :P

Give me enough time and leeway and I'll knock your socks off!
P.S. - Will work for money :/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,895 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:47 PM

Did that and abandon the project.

1M [39"] DISH IS TOO SMALL TO ELIMINATE C-BAND SIGNAL FROM ADJUSTED [2 DEGREE] SATELLITES.

#3 OFFLINE   Mentat

Mentat

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

Did that and abandon the project.

1M [39"] DISH IS TOO SMALL TO ELIMINATE C-BAND SIGNAL FROM ADJUSTED [2 DEGREE] SATELLITES.

Is this due to topographical/geographical issues (like distance on Earth from satellite), dependent on the satellite, or just signal issues?
Give me enough time and leeway and I'll knock your socks off!
P.S. - Will work for money :/

#4 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,895 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

Many C sats spacing 2 degree - check www.lyngsat.com

There was discussions at Rick's site ...
So, in short - if signal is strong, if no C sats nearby, if you struggled by HOA or live in apartment, you could try use 1+M dish for C band.

#5 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:02 PM

It's been a few years, but when I was installing c-band dishes, the smallest that I could get away with was a 5' dish locked on one satellite. There's not a chance in the world that a typical 18" dish would ever work for C-band.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#6 OFFLINE   ClearSKY

ClearSKY

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:41 AM

c-band wave lengths are larger than that of ku band, hence the need for a larger dish.

#7 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,895 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:18 AM

c-band wave lengths are larger than that of ku band, hence the need for a larger dish.

Almost correct, but the point is C-band sats are low powered then Ku. Plus other technicalities like necessity of scalar ring, etc.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...