Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

3D TV Question

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gordo80

gordo80

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:50 PM

Besides Fry's and Best Buy where else can I get 3D TV for a good deal. Fry's had the unc557000 series for $2263 with the starter kit. I miss out on that deal.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,865 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:55 AM

I'm moving this to the HD Displays forum.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:07 AM

I got a great deal on Amazon. Shipped free and got the glasses thrown in with the BD player.
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:31 AM

Fry's, Best Buy, Amazon, HHGregg, Costco, Sams Club, Sixth Avenue....pretty much anywhere that sells TV's.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,416 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

I''d add Cleveland Plasma.
https://clevelandplasma.com/
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#6 OFFLINE   olgeezer returns

olgeezer returns

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:26 PM

Whatever you do don't purchase from a local dealer.:D

#7 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,416 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:30 PM

My local dealer told me that he didn't sell plasma because "everybody knew they were no good":) My local Best Buy (45 miles away) can't keep a pair of glasses to even demo the Panasonic (stolen, broken, etc). Pretty discouraging shopping on the local scene.
Fred

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,668 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

Check out Video Only if there's one in the area.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   emoxley

emoxley

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:39 PM

Sears too.
1080p Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP
Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver
Oppo BDP-83 blu ray player
Polk Audio LSi9 front speakers
Polk Audio LSiC center speaker
Sony SS-MB100H rear speakers
SVS PC12-NSD powered subwoofer
Pioneer PL-514 turntable
Logitech Harmony 628 Universal Remote

#10 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,416 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:21 PM

Check out Video Only if there's one in the area.

Sears too.

Thanks guys, but no Video Only in my area, and Sears doesn't even have the Panasonic VT25;s on their website.
Fred

#11 OFFLINE   emoxley

emoxley

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:53 AM

Our local Sears had demos setup with the Samsung and Sony 3-D models.
The Sony looked just as good as the Panasonic I saw demoed at Best Buy. The Samsung only has an animated demo, which I wasn't crazy about. The Sony had some good demo material, which included ESPN's 3-D channel. It looked surprisingly good.........
1080p Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP
Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver
Oppo BDP-83 blu ray player
Polk Audio LSi9 front speakers
Polk Audio LSiC center speaker
Sony SS-MB100H rear speakers
SVS PC12-NSD powered subwoofer
Pioneer PL-514 turntable
Logitech Harmony 628 Universal Remote

#12 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,416 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:46 AM

The Sony looked just as good as the Panasonic I saw demoed at Best Buy. The Sony had some good demo material, which included ESPN's 3-D channel. It looked surprisingly good.........

Just don't tilt your head when watching 3D on the Sony. I saw it at my BB and you must keep your head erect at all times - any tilt and you lose the 3D.
Fred

#13 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,992 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:47 AM

Our local Sears had demos setup with the Samsung and Sony 3-D models.
The Sony looked just as good as the Panasonic I saw demoed at Best Buy. The Samsung only has an animated demo, which I wasn't crazy about. The Sony had some good demo material, which included ESPN's 3-D channel. It looked surprisingly good.........

Just don't tilt your head when watching 3D on the Sony. I saw it at my BB and you must keep your head erect at all times - any tilt and you lose the 3D.

I've got a Mits DLP and I haven't see the tilt your head problem, I can lay down on the couch and still see 3D.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#14 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:30 AM

Besides Fry's and Best Buy where else can I get 3D TV for a good deal. Fry's had the unc557000 series for $2263 with the starter kit. I miss out on that deal.

I also got the UN55C7000 with the free Starter Set and free 3D Blu-Ray player from Amazon.com for what I think was a great price. It was around $2200, but you have to add the TV to your cart to see the price so it may have changed.

It was tricky getting the free stuff though. You have to add all three items to your cart to get the Starter Set and player for free. Originally, when I did that, Amazon's site added the player from a different vendor than Amazon. So, it wasn't free. I caught the problem just in the nick of time. Make sure you're adding the offers from Amazon.com to the cart.

So, far I'm really pleased with the TV. The picture is excellent once you fix the settings (see one of the web sites with recommended settings). The sound isn't very good, but I run my audio through a stereo receiver.

-- Roger

#15 OFFLINE   dc_soccerdude

dc_soccerdude

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

BestBuy had the 50" VT20 with free Bluray 3d player ($399 value) or the VT25 54" for $2499 (but no player) last week. Not sure if its still on but you should check. VT25 is only available thru Magnolia stores but they can write them up through consultations if you don't want to drive to the Magnolia store which is what I did.

I went with the 54" VT25 and when I told them no service agreement they said if I purchased a $250 2yr agreement they would give me a free set of glasses (worth $150). Figured what the heck cause I would need glasses anyway. Waiting on my free 3D movies from panasonic as well through mail in form and new HR DVR from D* next week to support 3d but demo disc is great!!!

#16 OFFLINE   gordo80

gordo80

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:04 PM

Just pull the trigger on a LED 8000 55" at best buy. They met fry's discount so I was happy with the discount. Plus I got the free blu ray 3D and the glasses. Thanks for all of you guys help.

#17 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 683 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:05 PM

Try Ultimate Electronics they might deal with you.

HR20-100 s/w version 0x087f
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#18 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:41 AM

Update: Toshiba is now in the process of making the first 3D that's glasses free.
Yes 3D fans. Toshiba is hoping to have the TV on the shelves for Christmas. But the deal breaker for some will be the real high price for the sets.
We're talking the thousand and up range minimum.

#19 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,668 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:16 AM

Update: Toshiba is now in the process of making the first 3D that's glasses free.
Yes 3D fans. Toshiba is hoping to have the TV on the shelves for Christmas. But the deal breaker for some will be the real high price for the sets.

As compared to a $600 television and $400 worth of glasses?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#20 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:28 AM

The technology has been around for some time. I first saw a lenticular 3D TV sometime around 1988. Toshiba is using a newer technology, but it works in a similar way.

The advantage to the TVs with the active shutter glasses, is that there is not much of a compromise made to the 2D display to support 3D or the 3D display to also support 2D.

But, the lens added to the front of the display for the glassless TVs is always there, even when you watch 2D. The lens adds to the cost of the TV and may affect the picture even if you watch only 2D programs.

The viewing angle is reduced in 3D mode on a glassless TV. For the lenticular system, you have to view it directly from the front. Toshiba says their "bi-directional lens" system offers a wider viewing angle. We'll have to see.

Also, I suspect the cost and complexity of the added lens will mean the technology will be available only on smaller TVs at first.

-- Roger

Protected By... spam firewall...And...