Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Thinking of returning to D

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:19 AM

There are still audio issues with Dolby Digital audio. The severity of the issue depends a lot on the audio receiver you are using, from what I've seen Onkyo's seem to take the longest to recover from whatever error is in the stream causing the drops.

As for your 2 HD outputs, DirecTV doesn't have that. What they do have is Whole Home DVR, where using the coax that connects the receivers to the dish are used for networking HD DVR's and HD receivers so they can view content between boxes. There is a $3/month charge for Whole Home DVR service.

The audio dropouts occur when hooked up directly to the TV either through HDMI or composite audio cables. How can people keep blaming them on AV receivers when they are there whether you use an AV receiver or not.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:24 AM

The audio dropouts occur when hooked up directly to the TV either through HDMI or composite audio cables. How can people keep blaming them on AV receivers when they are there whether you use an AV receiver or not.

Some like to try to make it seem like it's not a DTV issue.

#23 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:24 AM

There are still audio issues with Dolby Digital audio. The severity of the issue depends a lot on the audio receiver you are using, from what I've seen Onkyo's seem to take the longest to recover from whatever error is in the stream causing the drops.

As for your 2 HD outputs, DirecTV doesn't have that. What they do have is Whole Home DVR, where using the coax that connects the receivers to the dish are used for networking HD DVR's and HD receivers so they can view content between boxes. There is a $3/month charge for Whole Home DVR service.

Did I say they didn't, I hear them through my TV also, but it's a very short blip and I really have to listen for it. Maybe it's worst with your TV but with the 7 I have connected via HDMI there's never been a dropout that prevented me from hearing any dialog. Where you can blame the AVR is on how long it take to recover from that error. I have a Sony and Onkyo that take a lot longer to recover then a Denon processing the same error.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#24 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,906 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:27 AM

He said the severity depends on the AV...which is true. Onkyo's drop out and recover at longer intervals than some others.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#25 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:41 AM

I don't notice any difference in recovery time between my AVR or tv speakers.

spam firewall