Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Local Channels Cutting Out

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:37 AM

Over the last few months I have noticed our local channels out of Paducah, Ky have been cutting out. Several times a week all of the local channels will go blank and a searching for signal message will pop up and it does this on all of my receivers in the house. All of the other channels are fine with a full signal of 95 to 100 on 101 and 110. This will last from a few minutes to a few hours and then they come back on with no problems. As best as I can figure all of my locals come in on transponder 23 on 119. When I check the signal level while the channels are out, 23 has a zero but several other transponders on 119 have a 95 to 100 signal. When the locals come back on, 23 has a 100 signal. At first I thought I had a LNB going out but since only that transponder is losing signal I don't see it as an equipment problem on my end. Would the problem be in the uplink from the station or is it a D* problem. By the way these are SD locals only, they haven't put up the HD channels yet, if ever. Long story short, who could I call to see what the problem is? I don't watch anything on locals but the news however my wife is getting irritated when her shows are cut off.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:45 AM

I'm not sure you'd get a straight answer if you called DIRECTV, but I do suggest calling them to let them know about the issue. It could be a lot of things, for example the facility that sends the signals up into space from Paducah could be having problems.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:05 AM

That was what I was thinking too. If I call D* they will blame the local uplink and the local stations will blame D*. Over all, I haven't had any problems since 2001 and I don't want to get on their grouch list but it seems to be getting worse. Maybe the next time it goes out, I'll call while it's down and see what they say.

#4 OFFLINE   Brit_in_WV

Brit_in_WV

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:19 AM

I'm not sure you'd get a straight answer if you called DIRECTV, but I do suggest calling them to let them know about the issue. It could be a lot of things, for example the facility that sends the signals up into space from Paducah could be having problems.

We have had a similar problem here in Charleston but "D" usually puts an onscreen message up saying they are aware of the issue and are working to restore service, which in itself is great as it beats making a phone call. This is on the HD locals only as I don't watch the SD versions.
"Je ne suis pas assez jeune pour tout savoir"

#5 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:19 AM

I've seen the "we're aware of the problem" screen before but lately it just goes to a blank screen and a searching for signal message pops up. As I said, it lasts a few minutes to a few hours then the picture is back up. I was just wondering who to report it to and maybe get an answer without them pointing the finger at the other guy.

#6 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:50 PM

SFSS usually indicates you have a problem with low or zero signals, and this is nearly always caused by a problem in your system (misaligned dish or cable/connector problems are the most common). Yes, it can also be caused by a complete loss of signal from your DirecTV Local Receive Facility (as Stuart suggested) although this is rare, and would affect every DirecTV subscriber in your area. I checked and have not found any other posts mentioning this problem.
I suggest when the problem happens again you check your signal strengths on 103S TP24. If 103s/24 is low or zero, check all the transponders on 103ca and 103cb and post back with the results.

#7 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:29 PM

As I said in my first post, when the channels cut out I get a 0 signal strength on transponder 23 which all of my locals come in on sat 119. Several other transponders both even and odd on 119 are 95 to 100 signal at the same time. I've never heard of a problem that would cut out one transponder and not the rest on the same sat. I don't have HD so I don't get 103 just 101,110, and 119, all of them are 95 to 100 when the cut outs happen. By the way, channel 8 WSIU is off right now with a no need to call us message, still a 95 signal, that happens frequently also. I was just wondering who is in charge of the uplink so I can call them when they go off, that should answer my question.

Thanks

spam firewall