Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New install recommendations

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Moosestache

Moosestache

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

I am having a new install, with 5 rooms getting boxes. Two of the rooms are kids rooms, and I am getting them the free standard def boxes. Now the remaining three rooms all have hd tv's. I currently have 2 of the hd dvr's on order, and one of the regular HD boxes for the third tv. I am getting MRV and the internet connection thing also. Am I stupid to get two HD DVR boxes? The original Directv CS rep thought I was and she thought I should just get 1 dvr then the rest HD boxes, she felt the MRV would do everything I could possibly want with one DVR box. What do you all think, is it worth it to get a second HD DVR or not, or should I even look at getting all 3 HD DVR's....

Thanks for any help you all can give.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:52 AM

Two DVRs will allow you to record 4 things at once versus 2 with one DVR. If you watch much network TV and want to be able to sample all four networks show that are on at the same time two DVRs would be better.

If you don't mind going to the other non-dvr equipped TV and watching live with commercials then it won't matter as much.

Good Luck
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#3 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:59 AM

It depends on what you like to do. If you want the ability to pause live TV and use "DoublePlay" to swap between 2 tuners, then you put a DVR in that room. Also, two DVR's doubles the recording capacity that you will have.

Of course with MRV and an HD receiver, you can only watch programs that were recorded on the DVR. While watching a recorded program through MRV on your HD receiver, you would have the ability to pause that show. If you are watching a live program on your HD receiver, you have no ability to pause and restart.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#4 OFFLINE   Moosestache

Moosestache

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:26 PM

It depends on what you like to do. If you want the ability to pause live TV and use "DoublePlay" to swap between 2 tuners, then you put a DVR in that room. Also, two DVR's doubles the recording capacity that you will have.

Of course with MRV and an HD receiver, you can only watch programs that were recorded on the DVR. While watching a recorded program through MRV on your HD receiver, you would have the ability to pause that show. If you are watching a live program on your HD receiver, you have no ability to pause and restart.

If I'm watching a recorded show on the Hd receiver can I fast forward and rewind, just like on the dvr's if I'm using MRV? And could you explain double play? Thanks!!!

#5 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:13 PM

If I'm watching a recorded show on the Hd receiver can I fast forward and rewind, just like on the dvr's if I'm using MRV? And could you explain double play? Thanks!!!

Yes, you can do FF and REW as well.

Double Play (DP) is the ability to buffer different programs on the 2 tuners within the DVR. To activate DP, you press the "Down Arrow" key twice, then to swap between tuners, you press it once. This enables you to watch a live show on one tuner and another live show on the other tuner. Each tuner will buffer up to 90 min's of the channel it is on. (If you change channels on a tuner, you lose the buffer)

For example, I sometimes have 2 sporting events on at the same time. If a commercial comes on, I use DP to swap to the other game and watch it. Then after a couple minutes, swap back to the original game. If I miss anything, I can rewind to see them score, etc. Hope that makes sense.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#6 OFFLINE   Moosestache

Moosestache

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:24 PM

If I am considering the need for a third DVR should I change my order now, and pay the extra $100, or should I wait to see if I need it? Will there be a bigger charge if I wait rather than doing it up front?

Thanks!

#7 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,426 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:28 PM

You probably won't get any discount if you wait ($199).

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#8 OFFLINE   Moosestache

Moosestache

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:40 PM

Yes, but I'm paying $99 for an HD receiver already, so its an extra $100. I imagine they won't credit me the $99 if I decided to swap at a later date.

#9 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,426 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:42 PM

No, they probably won't credit you later, but they might give you an HD-DVR now for the same $99.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#10 OFFLINE   Moosestache

Moosestache

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:44 PM

It is worth a try.

#11 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:20 PM

As mentioned, if you want the third DVR, call and see if they can change the order now. Not sure if you can get it for $99, but it is worth a try. If you wait, you will have to add the 3rd DVR and keep the HD Receiver and probably pay an additional $199 for the DVR. And if you change your order now, the extra $100 upfront will be your only additional cost. Since you are already paying the monthly $7 DVR fee and monthly $5 fee for the extra HD receiver.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#12 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:34 PM

I have 6 DVR's in my house... You have to figure out for yourself how many you need... each DVR can do 2 recordings at a time, and if you have a lot of 'segmented' viewing in your house (everyone watching different things at different times) like I do, then there is huge benefits to having multiple DVR's. keep in mind that a DVR can only supply 1 viewer to a remote TV so if you have 1 DVR, you can watch 1 show on the DVR, and 1 show on a remote. if you have 2, then you can watch 2 shows on the 2 DVR's and 2 shows on 2 remote receivers.

So, you build your system with the flexibility you need in your particular house hold. I know the CSR's don't understand why you would need more than 1 DVR, but if you have 1 DVR and 4 HD receivers, you still can only watch 2 things from that single DVR.

I look at it this way... put as many HDDVR's as you can afford into your house (even the kids rooms if you can) because that affords you the most flexibility with your MRV solution. and the monthly cost is no different with 1 DVR and 5 receivers or 6 DVR's. just the up front cost is higher.
HR34, HR20x3, HR21, HR22, H24, H21

-BAHitman

spam firewall