Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Which "department" to get best deal when upgrading my entire system and programming?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationTobacco Road, NC

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:50 AM

You, with over 6000 posts. feel like a broken record. However, those of us that are not living here don't quite understand the process fully and why D* ships what they do and charges what they do. I'd assume some of the vets areound here would be polite in their explanations. Apparently I was mistaken since there are several of y'all that enjoy being condescending. Back to the sidelines for me. Thanks for the input.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:21 AM

You, with over 6000 posts. feel like a broken record. However, those of us that are not living here don't quite understand the process fully and why D* ships what they do and charges what they do. I'd assume some of the vets areound here would be polite in their explanations. Apparently I was mistaken since there are several of y'all that enjoy being condescending. Back to the sidelines for me. Thanks for the input.

996911 -

Take a few minutes to reread this thread (now that you seem to understand the process). I think you will discover that people were polite and answered your questions. Once you read it all at once you will understand why you are now getting short, blunt answers.
DogLover

My Setup

#43 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:37 AM

You think speed and more importantly, recording capacity is minimal? If they lined all the HR boxes up and said, "they are all $199, which one would you like?" then I ask you.....which one would you select? No need to answer.

Go elsewhere? WTF is with your attitude? Comments like yours are not needed so either add to the discussion with some explanation that helps people like me understand the process of procuring equipment a bit better or don't comment.

...so you'd rather have the answer you want to hear, instead of an actual answer. Got it. All the receivers are basically the same, with minimal differences. It doesn't matter. Just take one. If you don't like what they give you, you have two options:

• Acquire your own equipment from a retailer
  • Go with a different provider

Let's not fight the man when no fight is warranted.
DTV = Digital Television

#44 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,716 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:51 AM

996911 -
Take a few minutes to reread this thread (now that you seem to understand the process). I think you will discover that people were polite and answered your questions. Once you read it all at once you will understand why you are now getting short, blunt answers.

...so you'd rather have the answer you want to hear, instead of an actual answer. Got it. All the receivers are basically the same, with minimal differences. It doesn't matter. Just take one. If you don't like what they give you, you have two options:

• Acquire your own equipment from a retailer
  • Go with a different provider

Let's not fight the man when no fight is warranted.

I suspect we've seen the best advice and information on this topic....
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#45 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:46 AM

So they put up a picture of their all new 2010 Mercedes (or insert any car here) and they consider their unsold 2006 model on equal ground and want the same price?

The equivalent here is more along the lines of Hertz putting a picture of the Chevrolet Impala on their website, but when you show up, they give you a Dodge Charger.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#46 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:43 AM

I'm being polite. The reason I added the broken record remark is because I already posted the info in this same thread a couple of days ago. Aparently you either didn't read it or you chose to ignore it hoping to get the answer you wanted.

There's nothing to understand about the process. Once again, you get what they ship. You cannot specify what you want. If you want a specific model you need to order it online. Is this a good policy? No... Is it the policy currently in place? Yes... Can it be circumvented? Not likely...

Now I'm sorry if you don't like the answer but it is what it is!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#47 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:13 PM

My apologies guys. I am quickly understanding that to some of y'all vets it gets very tiresome to here the same crap over and over again from us low post rookies. I was hoping for more of the "yeah, it's not fair" and instead got the "take what you get and stfu" line which made me feel like I was being unreasonable thinking D* should either have different pricing for each box or just ship the latest and greatest. I just didn't get that the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd oldest boxes were still shipping at the same price point at the latest and greatest and I should just feel grateful that I was fortunate enough to even have the chance to get any of them.

You live and learn. I can tell y'all that I have decided to alter my order with D* since this is the way they choose to operate. Instead of adding NFLST and hopefully a HR24, I am not going to add NFLST since I know now that my team is going to be on locally at least 8 times (if not more, but 8 for sure) and if since the HR24 isn't a sure thing I am just going to add a HD (not HD DVR) box for the theater room and add MRV using the HR20 as the whole home DVR. I'll just be careful to watch the capacity.

Thanks again for all the feedback and occasional good natured b!tch slapping :) No hard feeling on my end. My skin is thick.

#48 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:11 PM

It's not fair, but it is what it is. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#49 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:18 PM

add MRV using the HR20 as the whole home DVR. I'll just be careful to watch the capacity..

You can slap an external 1, 1.5 or perhaps 2 TB drive on there with an external eSATA enclosure, and you wont even have to worry about capacity. I ran a test setup for several months using only a H24 receiver with whole home (the DVR was in the closet), and it worked great.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#50 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:52 AM

If I may, quick question on the HD receiver (no DVR). If I just add the a HD receiver to the new room and have MRV setup then I should be just fine for the time being. My question is, is there more than one HD receiver I could get shipped or is it just one that they carry? If it's just one, what is the model called? Thanks guys.

#51 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:15 AM

If I may, quick question on the HD receiver (no DVR). If I just add the a HD receiver to the new room and have MRV setup then I should be just fine for the time being. My question is, is there more than one HD receiver I could get shipped or is it just one that they carry? If it's just one, what is the model called? Thanks guys.

There's H20 through H24, but I think the H20 is discontinued. Much like the HRs, you get whatever they have.;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#52 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:30 AM

Ah, same horse of a different color. THanks :)

#53 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:33 AM

There are 3 possibilities if you make sure you state you're using MRV. You could get an H21, H23 or H24. If you don't make sure they know you have MRV you could get an H20 which has no network capabilities.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#54 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

There's H20 through H24, but I think the H20 is discontinued. Much like the HRs, you get whatever they have.;)

Just to clarify... H20's are still being sent out, and there is no H22.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#55 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:05 PM

There are 3 possibilities if you make sure you state you're using MRV. You could get an H21, H23 or H24. If you don't make sure they know you have MRV you could get an H20 which has no network capabilities.

Since I would be calling to get MRV at the same time I would assume they would know the correct box to send correct?

#56 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

Since I would be calling to get MRV at the same time I would assume they would know the correct box to send correct?

They should...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...