Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

All I can say is "WOW"

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ctaranto

ctaranto

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:52 AM

...but a helluva step up from the 21 series when it comes to speed.

Hmmm.. I have an HR21 and I don't find it slow. Once in a while, it waits a second (mostly when scrolling the guide through those PPV graphic channels), but in general, it's not frustrating. I'm using an external 1TB SATA drive so maybe that helps?

My mother's RCN cable box/DVR, on the other hand, is atrocious. I was using it last night and was ready to smash it within 2 minutes.

Subscriber since Feb 2008
D* Receivers: HR21-700 w/1TB eSATA, HR24-100, HR21-700
Dish: Slimline + International@95 (w/SWM-16), Roof-mount
TV: 54" Panasonic G10 Plasma, 50" Panasonic ST30 Plasma, JVC 20" tube
Audio: Denon AVR1910
Speakers: Energy Take Classic x 7, BIC America H100 12" sub
Control: Home Theater Master MX-500
Place Shifting: Slingbox Pro-HD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:13 PM

Hmmm.. I have an HR21 and I don't find it slow. Once in a while, it waits a second (mostly when scrolling the guide through those PPV graphic channels), but in general, it's not frustrating. I'm using an external 1TB SATA drive so maybe that helps?

No, depends on how full the external drive is. Doesn't seem to make any difference in speed unless the external is close to being full. Oddly, my wife told me she was experiencing slowdowns with her stock 21-700 last night. Got to look into that, she rarely complains about the HRs at all. I think the 21-700 is the best of the 21s, by the way.

Rich

#23 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

Wait wait wait... He refused a tip?

Give me this guys name so I can have a talk with him! He's making the rest of us look bad!

Excellent to hear! It's a good feeling when someone actually appreciates what we do. Especially if were bending over backwards (driving 45 minutes) to get equipment on request.

Most techs would have said take it or leave it, or rescheduled. Awesome to hear it went well!

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:13 PM

Wait wait wait... He refused a tip?

Give me this guys name so I can have a talk with him! He's making the rest of us look bad!

Excellent to hear! It's a good feeling when someone actually appreciates what we do. Especially if were bending over backwards (driving 45 minutes) to get equipment on request.

Most techs would have said take it or leave it, or rescheduled. Awesome to hear it went well!

Something like this just happened to me with an A/C tech. After two days of work on my A/C unit (I had to help him, it wasn't a one man job) in 100 degree weather, I gave him $50 and he argued about taking it. Seems his company frowns on tips. Told him to just put it in his pocket and forget about it. Surprised me.

Rich

spam firewall