Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Network Launches Local High Definition Channels in 14 Markets

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:44 PM

HD locals are now marked "available" for the following markets ...

Augusta, GA (119)
Davenport, IA/Rock Island, IL (77)
Evansville, IN (77)
Monroe, LA (77)
Paducah, KY/Harrisburg, IL (77)
Pittsburgh, PA (adding Eastern Arc location - 77)
Rochester, MN/Mason City, IA (119)
San Angelo, TX (119)
Shreveport, LA (119)
Wichita, KS (119)
Wilmington, NC (77)

Details here

"On Aug. 18, DISH Network will launch local HD programming in Bangor, Maine; Macon, Ga.; Rochester, N.Y.; and Traverse City, Mich."

Press Release (below): http://www.dbstalk.c...614#post2558614

Edited by James Long, 13 August 2010 - 03:24 PM.
Added press release

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:50 PM

I've been watching for this since they actually uplinked most of them months ago. I'm in the Paducah, KY DMA and they'll have to either add a wing at 77 around here since all of the installs are Western Arc, or change to Eastern Arc which would entail changing out my SD DVR as the EA doesn't have Paducah locals on it.

I tried today, just hoping someone was quicker than a bunny. No joy!! Said to contact tomorrow.

Just in time for the new series on broadcast, and of course next month is time for NFLRZ again!! Woo Hoo!! :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#3 OFFLINE   Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:05 PM

My problem with Dish is that their Local support, when it comes to HD, can be tepid. Here in the Phoenix area, DirecTV offers more HD outlets. Why?

#4 OFFLINE   da88

da88

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:16 PM

Man, after two years of waiting for HD local in the Paducah market, they arrive and I will have to wait until I can get a 77 dish.:(
Why would they put them on a sat that isn't available normally for anyone in this area?

#5 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:44 AM

No space for spot beams left on the WA for us is the reason I've been told. But come on, if we waited this long, just a few more days won't kill us!! :)

Lloyd

#6 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:36 AM

I just got off the phone with Dish. Scheduled tomorrow to change me to EA. One thing that I brought up that I don't know if they are going to fix is that on the EA, my 625 won't get the locals. First they said no problem, it will get it, then changed to no, you need to update that 625 to an HD receiver.

But they talked around that so I don't actually know if they will change that out or not. Guess I'll know for sure tomorrow. If they change it out, I'll be happy. If not, well that's what they make chat for!! :)

Lloyd

#7 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:55 AM

Eastern Arc requires all MPEG4 compatible receivers. They'll have to switch it out.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#8 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:15 AM

Eastern Arc requires all MPEG4 compatible receivers. They'll have to switch it out.

KEWL!! I was wanting to upgrade that receiver anyway!

Thanks.

Lloyd

#9 OFFLINE   da88

da88

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:32 AM

I called a couple of hours ago and they said they will send out a tech tomorrow morning to add a wing dish. For various reasons, this will be the 4th tech to visit my house in a month's time. I am ready to get this over with and get all my Dish issues complete.
Now I am wondering, with this new wing dish if I will be able to diplex in an antenna to my 612 still as I planned. I want to access the other area channels that are being broadcast too:confused:.

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

I called a couple of hours ago and they said they will send out a tech tomorrow morning to add a wing dish. For various reasons, this will be the 4th tech to visit my house in a month's time. I am ready to get this over with and get all my Dish issues complete.
Now I am wondering, with this new wing dish if I will be able to diplex in an antenna to my 612 still as I planned. I want to access the other area channels that are being broadcast too:confused:.

Yes, you should still be able to diplex. If you currently have a 1000.2 dish the wing dish will connect in to an input on it and the same cables will feed your receiver(s). If you don't have a 1000.2 dish and have a switch instead the feed from switch to receiver will stay the same.

#11 OFFLINE   smackman

smackman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:22 PM

Well, this sucks. Dish wants to charge $95 to add a wing dish to ALL the customers in the Monroe/Eldorado DMA? NO one in this area has a dish that is pointed to 77.

If Dish follows there past, They will not even make it known that the locals are available in HD.

I will not pay a dime for a choice Dish made here. Why should the customer be out a penny for this? And yes they want $95 to add this wing Dish. :lol::lol:

No chance here. HR24 and a HD Receiver with free Installation from DTV AND Locals coming soon for Monroe DMA? I know a HR24 is no promise but I can make this happen.;)

10+ year disappointed customer.
Smackman THE KING OF SMACK: Dish Customer since 2000
VIP 722

#12 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

I just got off a few phone calls. When the installer called to confirm the EA switchover, I asked what was included. He said the 1000.4 Dish and pointing. I asked about the 625 and he said it wouldn't work, but it wasn't on the order to change out.

So I called the Executive Response Team. They said no problem, but that I wasn't elgible for a Dish'n it up but would waive that and get me a 612. I had to agree to another 2 years (with $10/month ETF) to get it. No big deal as that was already a planned swap in September. Upfront costs still $15 w/DHPP.

Lloyd

#13 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

Dish has a strange set up. They have satellites all over everywhere. Dishes pointed everywhere. Different recievers that work with different satellites.

Directv has one dish that gets all its satellites. SlimLine gets 99, 101, 103, 110 and 119. This covers all its core services, HD and spanish channels.

#14 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:32 PM

Dish has a strange set up. They have satellites all over everywhere. Dishes pointed everywhere. Different recievers that work with different satellites.

Directv has one dish that gets all its satellites. SlimLine gets 99, 101, 103, 110 and 119. This covers all its core services, HD and spanish channels.

And that is really important how?

And how many internationals does D* support?

Lloyd

#15 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

Well, this sucks. Dish wants to charge $95 to add a wing dish to ALL the customers in the Monroe/Eldorado DMA? NO one in this area has a dish that is pointed to 77.

If Dish follows there past, They will not even make it known that the locals are available in HD.

I will not pay a dime for a choice Dish made here. Why should the customer be out a penny for this? And yes they want $95 to add this wing Dish. :lol::lol:

No chance here. HR24 and a HD Receiver with free Installation from DTV AND Locals coming soon for Monroe DMA? I know a HR24 is no promise but I can make this happen.;)

10+ year disappointed customer.

Or you can add the DHPP and pay $15. Or email ceo@dishnetwork.com and ask for consideration. Or...well, whatevs.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#16 OFFLINE   da88

da88

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

I see on Satelliteguys that many people are being charged for a wing dish. I called today and they told me that it was a no charge. They did say that my statement would show a 15.00 charge and a 15.00 dollar credit. I have the service plan, which has saved me a bit this year due to other service calls. But, with a no charge, I would think that it would be that way for everyone.
Maybe people should try to talk to supervisors or something. I don't see why it should cost the customer for the wing dish, it isn't your fault they placed the HD locals on an EA satellite. If anything they could manipulate the satellites to get more $ from subscribers in different markets. I will be watching my bill to make sure they follow through with the no charge.

#17 OFFLINE   smackman

smackman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:11 PM

Or you can add the DHPP and pay $15. Or email ceo@dishnetwork.com and ask for consideration. Or...well, whatevs.

And the cost goes on and on and on..... Dish made the decision here; they should eat the cost not the consumer.
VIP 722

#18 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

You can talk all you want about what Dish 'should' do, but they've made a business decision that says they aren't going to honor your wishes.

So the choices are:

1. Get a dish and lnb and add a wing dish pointing to 77 yourself.
2. Pay Dish to do it for either $15 or $95 depending on whether you have DHPP or not.
3. Don't do anything and don't get the locals in HD

Quite simple, irritating, but simple.

Lloyd

#19 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:37 PM

You can talk all you want about what Dish 'should' do, but they've made a business decision that says they aren't going to honor your wishes.

So the choices are:

1. Get a dish and lnb and add a wing dish pointing to 77 yourself.
2. Pay Dish to do it for either $15 or $95 depending on whether you have DHPP or not.
3. Don't do anything and don't get the locals in HD

Quite simple, irritating, but simple.

To be fair, there is a 4th Choice.
4. Change providers, and get the setup and new equipment for free, with a new 2yr agreement. AT the end of 2yrs its your choice, if you stay or comeback and get a new installation for free. I still remember having to buy my 1000.2 when HD came out. If I wanted it I had to buy it.

#20 OFFLINE   smackman

smackman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:12 AM

To be fair, there is a 4th Choice.
4. Change providers, and get the setup and new equipment for free, with a new 2yr agreement. AT the end of 2yrs its your choice, if you stay or comeback and get a new installation for free. I still remember having to buy my 1000.2 when HD came out. If I wanted it I had to buy it.

As hard as it will be for me to do, This 4th choice will probably be my option.

After 22 years having C-Band, I switched to Dish in the year 2000 and have always had pretty good luck with them.

I have had some issues but overall a good exp. I have had one service call to my home in 30+ years of satellite television and that was a FREE UPGRADE from dish to install a SUPER Dish to begin receiving my locals years ago off 105. I still use the super dish for 110,119 and a separate Dish 500 for 129.

I guess it is sorta like cell phone companies; swap every 2 years to get what you want.

Any "proper" way to cancel Dish service to minimize the cost?

I feel Dish is 100% wrong here but who am I? :lol:
VIP 722

spam firewall