Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDVR2 remote confuses Zenith TV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mathesius

mathesius

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 07:24 PM

I just switched to DirecTV & got my HDVR2 installed today. As a former Charter cable subscriber, and, before that, Dish Network subscriber, it's great to be with DirecTV. I ran into some rain fade already tonight during a storm, but it could have been exasperated by the sun flare... Almost all transponders on all three sats are in the mid 80s, so I'm trying not to worry about the install (I do have a couple transponders in the 60s though).

Alas, I have run into one very irritating problem.

Sometimes when I'm just casually using the remote, my TV switches inputs from the video input (DirecTV) to the RF input (antenna). Then I have to hit the TV Input button to switch back to DirecTV.

I have a 1996-era Zenith TV, code 0070. It was doing this before I programmed the remote with the code for my TV, so I think the problem is some of the signals for the HDVR2 are very similar to the signals for my TV.

Usually it happens when I press the Down arrow. Sometimes it happens with other keys though too.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?
Any suggestions?

Covering the TV IR receiver isn't possible, as I do need to control the TV volume, power, etc.

Buying a new TV isn't the best solution..

Thanks!
Steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,845 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 24 October 2003 - 11:48 PM

:welcome_s to DBSTalk, mathesius!

You may want to check page 115 of your manual and change the HDVR2 remote address.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#3 OFFLINE   mathesius

mathesius

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 08:38 AM

Thanks for the tip! I did try it this morning, and have now tried two different remote codes for the HDVR2 without success. With the HDVR2 remote set to 0 (default), 2, or 8, it still occasionally switches the input on my TV...

It doesn't seem to be related to any particular button on the HDVR2 remote that does it either. Sometimes it's the Down button, sometimes the Guide button, sometimes other buttons.

Other ideas?

Thx!
Steve

#4 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 01 November 2003 - 10:04 PM

Changing remote addresses has helped others, as you see from this thread:

http://www.tivocommu...ighlight=zenith

#5 OFFLINE   mathesius

mathesius

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for the persistance! I did try some other codes, and found that code 5 seems to work perfectly (whereas 0, 2, and 8 all had the problem). Now everything is GREAT with DirecTV and TiVo!

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,845 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 02 November 2003 - 09:52 AM

Fantastic!
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#7 OFFLINE   BrettStah

BrettStah

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 02:52 PM

It is nice have the 9 codes (on non-Sony models at least) to choose from. I think Sony models only have 3 for some reason.
Brett

#8 OFFLINE   eddie_bowers

eddie_bowers

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 02:59 PM

You can go up to 9?
I have the same problem with my Cambridge Soundworks reciver and tried 1 and 2 (the only options mentioned in the manual) with no luck. I didn't know you could go up to 9!
I will try this as soon as I get home.

-Eddie

#9 OFFLINE   eddie_bowers

eddie_bowers

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 09:36 AM

No joy for me with any of the codes :(
They all screw with the volume on my Cambridge Soundworks receiver. This is very annoying.

-Eddie

spam firewall