Welcome to DBSTalk
- Start new topics and reply to others
- Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
- Get your own profile page and make new friends
- Send personal messages to other members.
Dead R15-100: can i replace power supply?
Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:45 PM
I already talked to DirecTV and did their general troubleshooting, and they're sending a new one, but i am still trying to find a way to get recorded content off of it. From doing research i understand that i can't get it off unless the system and HD are intact. I suspect also that it might simply be the power supply, so here are my questions:
- It's leased, so i understand opening the case violates the terms, but since i've already reported it dead, will they really know? If there's a seal that's one thing, and i don't think i'd risk it, but i don't see one off-hand (still haven't taken it out). I'm thinking if i could just get it going for a while i could record a few things off of it and then replace the old one and i'm done.
- secondly, since i'm assuming this is an old model, i haven't found a replacement power supply available anywhere yet. There's one on ebay but it's for a R15-300. Does anyone know if that one is similar enough to work? Or is there another general PC supply that would work? (I've built my own PCs for years so i'm relatively familiar with them)
Thanks for any advice, it's not the end of the world if i lose them, it's just annoying enough to research all the options ;-)
Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:51 PM
If you wanted to repair an owned receiver later down the road, keep in mind that the internals (and even the housings) are different between the -x00 models, and you can't swap stuff between them.
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.
DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009
Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:11 PM
The only leased boxes I ever got from DirecTV that had the "anti-tamper" piece of tape on the back were brand new ones. The "reconditioned" units had their tamper tape removed when they were "fixed", apparently.
3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K
Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:17 AM
(though it really might not have the old hardware's fault--i think it just overheated.)
Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:23 AM
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.
Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:27 AM