Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Albany GA local market

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   beagator

beagator

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:02 AM

Albany, Ga market was available on 8/4/10 with the following HD channels:
NBC 10
Fox 31
ABC 25 from jacksonville, fl
CW channel from jacksonville, fl
PBS 14
IND 55 - not HD

I am not a directv customer yet, because I am waiting to see what happens in my local market.

Today i pulled up my locals on the Directv website and it only shows:
NBC 10
FOX 31
PBS 14

What happened to the other channels that were available last week?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,967 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:45 AM

What happened to the other channels that were available last week?

They are still there... depending on where you look, the DirecTV website either has the correct lineup or (in the case of where you're looking) the wrong one.

~Alan

#3 OFFLINE   beagator

beagator

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

I only see NBC, FOX and PBS in HD. What happened to ABC? Is it there? HD or SD?

Brock

#4 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:56 AM

I only see NBC, FOX and PBS in HD. What happened to ABC? Is it there? HD or SD?

NBC, FOX, PBS, ABC, and The CW are in HD. WSST is in SD.

There is STILL no guide data for ABC and The CW, so you can't record anything. I have to call DirecTV today about something, and I may try and report it there besides just this site...

~Alan

#5 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

NBC, FOX, PBS, ABC, and The CW are in HD. WSST is in SD.

There is STILL no guide data for ABC and The CW, so you can't record anything. I have to call DirecTV today about something, and I may try and report it there besides just this site...

~Alan

Why dont you call Tribune? They update the guide data anyways. I have had to call them twice I think and in both cases they were able to get it fixed pretty fast. When you say Tribune to a D* employee they dont know what you are talking about.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#6 OFFLINE   beagator

beagator

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:06 AM

Thanks. Let me ask this...if you only have a SD receiver in a few rooms in your house...can you watch NBC, FOX, PBS, ABC with a SD receiver now? Or do you have to wait for those channels to be available in SD with directv like on dish network now?

#7 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:09 AM

Why dont you call Tribune? They update the guide data anyways. I have had to call them twice I think and in both cases they were able to get it fixed pretty fast. When you say Tribune to a D* employee they dont know what you are talking about.

I've never called Tribune, but I haven't had good luck with contacting them via E-Mail. Their Zap2it.com listings do not include LOCALS yet for my zip code, but here's the weird thing:

I can get program guide data for The CW and ABC if I restart my HD-DVR twice (in order to flush the guide data), but it only lasts for several minutes. This tells me the issue might be on DirecTV's end, and NOT Tribune's. Note that PBS had the same issue, but they finally managed to fix PBS's issue.

~Alan

#8 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:11 AM

I've never called Tribune, but I haven't had good luck with contacting them via E-Mail. Their Zap2it.com listings do not include LOCALS yet for my zip code, but here's the weird thing:

I can get program guide data for The CW and ABC if I restart my HD-DVR twice (in order to flush the guide data), but it only lasts for several minutes. This tells me the issue might be on DirecTV's end, and NOT Tribune's. Note that PBS had the same issue, but they finally managed to fix PBS's issue.

~Alan

Sounds reasonable. I would just be willing to bet Tribune knows who to get ahold of at D* to fix it and you will just get the run around. Good luck with it though and congrats on the locals. Sounds like you have them all now & thats great.
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#9 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:11 AM

Thanks. Let me ask this...if you only have a SD receiver in a few rooms in your house...can you watch NBC, FOX, PBS, ABC with a SD receiver now? Or do you have to wait for those channels to be available in SD with directv like on dish network now?

You cannot watch the local channels with an SD receiver (other than an R22 which has been discontinued), and these channels will not be available in SD.

If you (or someone you know) has no intention of wanting HD, the HD Access fee will be waived for them due to the locals requring an HD box.

~Alan

#10 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:12 AM

Im sure Alan can answer. If you are in a MPEG4 only market then D* will swap you out to HD equipment for free with no new commitment either. If you are not in a MPEG4 only market then your SD receivers will work fine. Eitehr way you will be taken care of.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#11 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:12 AM

Good luck with it though and congrats on the locals. Sounds like you have them all now & thats great.

No CBS yet. It's coming, but technical issues are preventing it right now...

~Alan

#12 OFFLINE   beagator

beagator

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:22 AM

Alan,

What do you mean by "You cannot watch the local channels with an SD receiver (other than an R22 which has been discontinued), and these channels will not be available in SD."

I understand about the SD receiver not getting the HD locals/channels, but when you say "these channels will not be available in SD." Does this mean forever or until they fix something?

Why can I get both with Dish network?

#13 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:35 AM

Alan,

What do you mean by "You cannot watch the local channels with an SD receiver (other than an R22 which has been discontinued), and these channels will not be available in SD."

I understand about the SD receiver not getting the HD locals/channels, but when you say "these channels will not be available in SD." Does this mean forever or until they fix something?

Why can I get both with Dish network?

Dish Network added SD channels years back. A year or two ago, they added HD locals. Not wanting to upgrade EVERYONE in the market with HD receivers who are perfectly fine with the SD channels, Dish Network offers both.

When Dish Network started offering Columbus, GA locals for the first time a couple of months back, Dish Network offered them in HD only, just like DirecTV's currently doing with Albany, and will do with Columbus, GA next month.

With Dish Network's SD channels in Albany, all they do is take the HD feeds and downrez them. With DirecTV, they let the receiver downrez them should someone want them in SD. The upside is that the HD channels downrezzed by the receiver should be better looking than the SD channels Dish offers...

~Alan

#14 OFFLINE   beagator

beagator

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

Dish Network added SD channels years back. A year or two ago, they added HD locals. Not wanting to upgrade EVERYONE in the market with HD receivers who are perfectly fine with the SD channels, Dish Network offers both.

When Dish Network started offering Columbus, GA locals for the first time a couple of months back, Dish Network offered them in HD only, just like DirecTV's currently doing with Albany, and will do with Columbus, GA next month.

With Dish Network's SD channels in Albany, all they do is take the HD feeds and downrez them. With DirecTV, they let the receiver downrez them should someone want them in SD. The upside is that the HD channels downrezzed by the receiver should be better looking than the SD channels Dish offers...

~Alan

Thanks. So right now you, if have an HD channel like WALB on a HD receiver, do you also have the option of watching it in SD with the HD receiver? And would this be the only way to get the SD channel?

So, an SD receiver in the Albany market really serves no purpose for watching the locals, except for watching channel 55. Is that correct? But the SD receiver would be perfectly fine for all other channels?

#15 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:59 AM

So right now you, if have an HD channel like WALB on a HD receiver, do you also have the option of watching it in SD with the HD receiver? And would this be the only way to get the SD channel?

The HD receivers have settings in the receiver to set what the highest resolution of your TV is. If it's an SDTV, only mark 480i, and it will only display WALB in SD resolution.

Note that if that receiver is an HD-DVR, your recording will still be in HD, so if you have Whole-Home DVR, that recording will appear in HD receivers hooked up to HDTVs.

So, an SD receiver in the Albany market really serves no purpose for watching the locals, except for watching channel 55. Is that correct? But the SD receiver would be perfectly fine for all other channels?

The discontinued R22 is the only exception, but yes, an SD receiver would be useless in watching the locals.

HOWEVER, aside from the R22 mentioned above, WSST would not come in either as SD receivers cannot pick up signals from the KA satellites (where the locals come from), nor can they receive MPEG4 SD (which is what WSST is offered in).

~Alan

#16 OFFLINE   beagator

beagator

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

The discontinued R22 is the only exception, but yes, an SD receiver would be useless in watching the locals.

HOWEVER, aside from the R22 mentioned above, WSST would not come in either as SD receivers cannot pick up signals from the KA satellites (where the locals come from), nor can they receive MPEG4 SD (which is what WSST is offered in).

~Alan[/QUOTE]

So if i bought the R22 receiver in place of the SD receiver, would I be able to watch the locals on a non-HDTV?

#17 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:43 PM

So if i bought the R22 receiver in place of the SD receiver, would I be able to watch the locals on a non-HDTV?

You can watch locals on a non-HDTV with any HD receiver (H20,H21, H22, H23, H24), HD-DVR (HR20,HR21, HR22, HR23, or HR24) or the one SD-DVR (R22).

An HR22, HR23, or HR24 would have a bigger hard drive than the R22 (the R22 is a DVR).

~Alan

#18 OFFLINE   beagator

beagator

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:43 AM

Talked with CSR from Directv this am...the CSR informed me that since ALbany, GA is a MPEG-4 only market, no matter what type of receivers you initially order they will only send HD receivers out with no additional charge.

I posed this question to Directv because I need 5 receivers, and I planned on ordering 1 HD-DVR, 1 HD receiver, and 3 standard receivers; but if I place the order I would get 1 HD-DVR and 4 HD receivers b/c of the MPEG-4 only market.

Does this sound correct? What do you think?

#19 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,117 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:46 AM

Talked with CSR from Directv this am...the CSR informed me that since ALbany, GA is a MPEG-4 only market, no matter what type of receivers you initially order they will only send HD receivers out with no additional charge.

I posed this question to Directv because I need 5 receivers, and I planned on ordering 1 HD-DVR, 1 HD receiver, and 3 standard receivers; but if I place the order I would get 1 HD-DVR and 4 HD receivers b/c of the MPEG-4 only market.

Sounds right. Only Hx2x and the discontinued R22 can do Mpeg4.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#20 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

That is correct. :D

~Alan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...