Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

First Time using Movers Connection

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

I've been with DirecTV since 2001 and haven't moved during that whole time. I've upgraded a couple of dishes myself, but decided to let them install the dish at the new location.

I have 4 IRDs, one being non-SWM capable. I'm willing to drop that one off of my account and get a SWM capable product, but don't really want to do that yet as I don't want to increase my commitment (still exploring leaving cable service behind, but think I'll need to wait at least a year).

Will the installer ONLY install a non-SWM dish because of the non-swm device or will he install a SWM dish if I ask? Also, I won't have all of the IRDs at the new location yet (they are installing on MOVE day... I don't want to miss any recorded shows.. hehe), so some will still be at the old house and some will be at the new house. They fine print says they all need to be there, but do you think I'll just be able to move the 2 out of 4 IRDs around to the other rooms to test the signal in each room?

I've been debating removing my SWM-8 switch and brining it with me in case they don't allow me to have a SWM dish (I can use the legacy port on the switch for that one IRD), but I was hoping to let the other guy do it all this time (hopefully he's a good installer...).

I also want it to be a SWM dish as the house is already wired for cable in every room, it would be great to just use those cables.. quick and easy for the installer.
Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,288 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:31 AM

Its all hard to say. Most installers these days say they have to follow the work order to a T. That being said I moved in March and the guy did not do what the work order said. Mine called for a 5lnb regular setup and instead he installed a 5 SWMlnb setup. I had my own SWM8 and I to was looking for that to be used instead as I was considering a 10-250. You are in a catch 22 here. I am willing to bet the installer will only install for the receivers you have. Part of it being because he wont know if you really have the others at your house or if someone else has them setup at their house. Its against their policy as far as I know. Your best bet if you dont want to extend your commitment is to either buy a owned unit off ebay real fast or possibly do the install yourself. You could try one other thing. Call and have noted on the account that you want a SWM setup but you have your own SWM8 that would have to be used because you have legacy equipment and are not wanting to swap it out at this time. Let us know how it goes.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#3 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:12 AM

Doesn't accepting the free movers connection trigger a new commitment already, regardless of adding a new receiver? I believe that's what they are stating in the terms:

DIRECTV MOVERS CONNECTION:...Customer must pay a $19.95 delivery and handling fee per order. Qualifications based on tenure, package level, payment history and other factors. Offer requires a program agreement of 12 months for Standard Receivers and 24 months for Advanced Receivers (HD receiver, DVR, or HD DVR) of any DIRECTV base programming package (priced at $29.99/mo. or above), or any international service bundle (lease required, must maintain DVR service and/or HD Access)....

HR34-700, HR22-100

#4 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,288 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

Doesn't accepting the free movers connection trigger a new commitment already? I believe that's what they are stating in the terms:

When I had mine done in March it didnt. I was told that it had changed and he movers program no long started a new 2 year agreement. My 2 years is up in 6 days. I have almost all owned equipment now as well. Sounds like a plan to me.
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#5 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:57 PM

If you just do the move without getting new equipment, then you don't get an extended contract. If they do extend my contract, then I'd just upgrade the one non-swm device to a swm device and I'd be set anyway. That's my fall back plan.

I guess I'll just bring all 4 IRDs with me for the install day, then bring one back to my current house to watch TV that night (the move is happening over several days, with most of the time us staying at our current house).

I guess if he falters at all, i can run home and unhook my swm 8 and bring it over to the new place. Or, if he will ONLY install the non-SWM dish, same things. I just don't want to run a million cables inside the house and use the existing cables. I was hoping that by using the SWM, it would be much faster and easier.

With the SWM dish, there is no legacy port, correct? It's all SWM devices are nothing? Sounding more and more like i need to bring my SWM8 with me and let him install it with a non-SWM dish.

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:40 PM

Also, I won't have all of the IRDs at the new location yet (they are installing on MOVE day... I don't want to miss any recorded shows.. hehe), so some will still be at the old house and some will be at the new house. They fine print says they all need to be there, but do you think I'll just be able to move the 2 out of 4 IRDs around to the other rooms to test the signal in each room?

For me and my company, not having all IRDs on-site is an automatic reschedule, no exceptions. IRDs have to be validated as part of the service, and any install without all components present is a repeat service call about to happen. Since it is a clearly-spelled out policy, I can reschedule these without problems, and I do, every chance I get.

I *strongly* recommend against an installation on "moving day", and I will usually reschedule them too. Everyone runs late on moving day, and customers want me and my techs to wait around for hours while they go get TVs and remotes and receivers. I refuse unless they want to pay me my hourly rate ($60/hour) to wait, AND then only if I don't have another customer scheduled.

I used to try to be "nice" and just do the job, but 80% of the time, I'd get screwed. The customer would do *something* to break the system and I'd end up with a Service-In-7 (days) and have to roll back for free. I'm no longer nice about it.

The general rule about SWMs is: if you have a non-SWM-compatible receiver on your account when the Mover's is generated, you get a legacy system.

#7 OFFLINE   ben4715

ben4715

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:50 PM

I would just upgrade...You've been with DTV for nine years...whats two more??

#8 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:37 PM

I would just upgrade...You've been with DTV for nine years...whats two more??

Because I'm seriously contemplating moving away from payTV all together. I get tons of stations off-air, and with Netflix and their now completed Epix deal, I have less need for cable stations. There are only 2 shows I can't get via off-air and netflix and I could always buy those or get them by other means if I still want to watch them that bad. Going from $100+ per month to just over nothing seems like a good idea to me. My wife may yet veto that thought, but I'm trying every way to not do that.

As for the IRDs, I'll just bring them all. And for moving day, I won't be late. We have two adults, one for each location. We're using movers, so unless they are late, we won't be late. And I'm moving the TVs myself anyway. most are small, except for the big one.
I just cant' take another day off work to be there for the 4 hour block that DirecTV needs me to be there. I'd rather smash it all into one day and just roll the dice.

The installer should do the entire install. Even if I had to go back to the old house to get another IRD or TV, it's less then 4 miles away, so I could get them all and be back long before he has even installed the dish. I've never seen an installer that can install a dish and point it in less then 10 minutes. If he can, I'd be impressed. But, i'm now planning on having everything there prior to the installer showing up. And, I'm betting that he'll be late and I'll be waiting on him.

#9 OFFLINE   HerntDawg

HerntDawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:51 AM

I say do it, nothing to lose if you can move IRD's from one place to another.

Then again, it might not be within the rules of your contract. :shrug:

#10 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

Do you have the protection plan? If I'm doing a movers connection, and they have the protection plan and a receiver is not SWM compatible (say a D11). I will "DOA" the D11. Once I close out the D11 I add a new line item and activate a D12.

Most installers would much rather do a SWM install than a 4line KA/KU with second line DVR runs...

Just a thought.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#11 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,288 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:35 AM

Because I'm seriously contemplating moving away from payTV all together. I get tons of stations off-air, and with Netflix and their now completed Epix deal, I have less need for cable stations. There are only 2 shows I can't get via off-air and netflix and I could always buy those or get them by other means if I still want to watch them that bad. Going from $100+ per month to just over nothing seems like a good idea to me. My wife may yet veto that thought, but I'm trying every way to not do that.

As for the IRDs, I'll just bring them all. And for moving day, I won't be late. We have two adults, one for each location. We're using movers, so unless they are late, we won't be late. And I'm moving the TVs myself anyway. most are small, except for the big one.
I just cant' take another day off work to be there for the 4 hour block that DirecTV needs me to be there. I'd rather smash it all into one day and just roll the dice.

The installer should do the entire install. Even if I had to go back to the old house to get another IRD or TV, it's less then 4 miles away, so I could get them all and be back long before he has even installed the dish. I've never seen an installer that can install a dish and point it in less then 10 minutes. If he can, I'd be impressed. But, i'm now planning on having everything there prior to the installer showing up. And, I'm betting that he'll be late and I'll be waiting on him.

Keep in mind thats a 4 hour block to arrive in not counting the work. Depending on your dish and setup it will take anywhere from 1-4 hours after arrival.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#12 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:27 PM

For me and my company, not having all IRDs on-site is an automatic reschedule, no exceptions. IRDs have to be validated as part of the service, and any install without all components present is a repeat service call about to happen. Since it is a clearly-spelled out policy, I can reschedule these without problems, and I do, every chance I get.

I *strongly* recommend against an installation on "moving day", and I will usually reschedule them too. Everyone runs late on moving day, and customers want me and my techs to wait around for hours while they go get TVs and remotes and receivers. I refuse unless they want to pay me my hourly rate ($60/hour) to wait, AND then only if I don't have another customer scheduled.

I used to try to be "nice" and just do the job, but 80% of the time, I'd get screwed. The customer would do *something* to break the system and I'd end up with a Service-In-7 (days) and have to roll back for free. I'm no longer nice about it.

The general rule about SWMs is: if you have a non-SWM-compatible receiver on your account when the Mover's is generated, you get a legacy system.

+1

Again Battlezone gets it right!

Moving day is NOT the day to interact with movers, the wife, kids + supervising the installation of your DTV rig. My fave is the call from the customer..."..look we won't be there until around 6:00 PM so just start...the neighbor will let you in...the mover's trucks won't be there until sometime tomorrow and I want the kids to have something to do during the move in."

Move your TVs and Directv receivers plus any other gear...sort it out and connect it where you want it. Then schedule a movers connection. Add additional receivers after you are settled. The HSPs will have enough trouble getting someone there on the correct day without the opera about dishes and stuff.

The SWM sounds like the correct application but if there is No Line of Sight (NLOS) that could be the reason the house has cable.

You are correct to plan...go slower and good luck.

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 14 August 2010 - 02:29 PM.
typo

#13 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:13 PM

There is line of sight. Houses around the area have dishes, but not this place. Not everyone has DirecTV you know...

I've decided to upgrade the system to MRV, so they are going to upgrade the receivers and I know I'll be getting a SWM install now for sure. Now just hoping the new HD-DVR they send with the installer is a good one. I have two hr20's right now, both have been rock solid since day one. I'll have to finally retire my old trusty Sony T60, my first DirecTivo, that still works perfectly. Maybe I'll have a funeral or something.

Moving day isn't that big of a deal. All of my stuff will be moved at at the house prior to the installation window anyway, so there won't really be much to deal with except for the installer.

#14 OFFLINE   Grydlok

Grydlok

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

Do you have the protection plan? If I'm doing a movers connection, and they have the protection plan and a receiver is not SWM compatible (say a D11). I will "DOA" the D11. Once I close out the D11 I add a new line item and activate a D12.

Most installers would much rather do a SWM install than a 4line KA/KU with second line DVR runs...

Just a thought.

Yup you haven't been with Mastec long, That will throw off your inventory without a activity generated to show where that IRD was consumed.
Hypocrites with fake rumors need not apply.

#15 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,914 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:19 PM

There is line of sight. Houses around the area have dishes, but not this place. Not everyone has DirecTV you know...

I've decided to upgrade the system to MRV, so they are going to upgrade the receivers and I know I'll be getting a SWM install now for sure. Now just hoping the new HD-DVR they send with the installer is a good one. I have two hr20's right now, both have been rock solid since day one. I'll have to finally retire my old trusty Sony T60, my first DirecTivo, that still works perfectly. Maybe I'll have a funeral or something.

Moving day isn't that big of a deal. All of my stuff will be moved at at the house prior to the installation window anyway, so there won't really be much to deal with except for the installer.

If you go with whole-home DVR, they will swap your SD receiver for a SWM-compatible D12 with no new commitment.

#16 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:16 PM

Could be a good experience!

Please report how it goes.

Joe

#17 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:53 AM

Yup you haven't been with Mastec long, That will throw off your inventory without a activity generated to show where that IRD was consumed.

I guess you missed the part where I added the OLI to the work order and did a DOA swap. Not to mention once the receiver is activated it's off my inventory.

The only receiver that is on my inventory over 2-3 weeks is a HD-DVR that was used on a commercial service call and despite me going back to the store (HH Greg) 4 months later and confirming that was indeed the HD-DVR "aging" in my inventory, the warehouse couldn't remove it.

I've been with Mastec over a year.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#18 OFFLINE   drx792

drx792

Icon

• Registered
  • 772 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:16 PM

I too am using movers connection very soon. I'm glad this thread popped up!

I have a question to add on to this though. If the house you are moving in to is wired for cable do the DirecTV installers run new RG6 solid copper core lines?

#19 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,781 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:03 PM

I too am using movers connection very soon. I'm glad this thread popped up!

I have a question to add on to this though. If the house you are moving in to is wired for cable do the DirecTV installers run new RG6 solid copper core lines?

The install tech's have been given procedures on how to determine if the cabling can be reused or if new needs to be installed. One of the benefits of SWiM technology is that other cable plants can be used if they can pass the test, if it doesn't pass then they're supposed to pull new.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#20 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

I guess you missed the part where I added the OLI to the work order and did a DOA swap. Not to mention once the receiver is activated it's off my inventory.

The only receiver that is on my inventory over 2-3 weeks is a HD-DVR that was used on a commercial service call and despite me going back to the store (HH Greg) 4 months later and confirming that was indeed the HD-DVR "aging" in my inventory, the warehouse couldn't remove it.

I've been with Mastec over a year.

One year with MASTEC is impressive! Nobody works for MASTEC for a year.
Eatin' regular?
What is yer secret?

Joe

spam firewall