Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

D12-500 receiver to a Computer Monitor? Anyone tried?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   integrinB4

integrinB4

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:59 AM

I would like to connect my SD D12-500 (simple standard def D* receiver) to display on a computer monitor. It is an HP2009m with only a VGA and a DVI-I input on the back.

Is there some sort of converter cable that I can use to connect to either the S-Video port or the Yellow video port of the RCA connections that I can then plug into either the VGA or DVI-I port on the monitor?

Purpose: I am trying to create a secondary TV for viewing games "on the side" for the upcoming football season by using what I have laying around the house.

Will this work or is this impossible based on the signals and source? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,659 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:08 AM

Probably cheaper to buy an HD receiver than composite to hdmi/dvi converter. Even cheaper, scout around for a used SD TV set, tons of them available (many for free).

#3 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,080 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:52 AM

As stated, a hd receiver or hd dvr incoporates an hdmi output. You can easily and cheaply convert that to your monitors dvi input with a simple changeover adapter which you can pickup at almost any big retailer or ebay for that matter. They start as low as $1.00.

You may be able to upgrade your receiver as stated for free, or at least next to nothing ($49-99) if you don't mind the additional programming commitment extention. Besides, with an HD IRD your picture quality will vastly inprove with the HD lineup they now offer.

#4 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:28 PM

You need a scaler to do what you are wanting. This is NOT the best price and probably not even the best device, but this should get you going on the idea of what you need to do this:

http://accessories.u...102&lid=1342490
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

spam firewall