Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish setup: Other channels mapped to locals

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:00 PM

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on an issue I'm having with a DirecTV setup at a cabin?

Just a little background, I'm part owner of a "hunting" cabin with seven other guys. One of the owners (of several) has DirecTV and brings up an older DTV receiver when we're up there. I don't know the model number but it's small, silver, SD, and not a DVR. Since I personally switched from DTV to Dish, I put my old DTV dish on the cabin. It's the latest Slimline 5. I had HD, locals, DVR etc...

I'm getting good signal strength on all the satellites as best I can tell, but I'm not getting the locals. They show up in the guide but they seem to be mapped to the wrong channels. For instance local channel 2, which is either CBS or ABC comes on as the NFL network and so on. I ran through all the channels and can't seem to find the locals mapped anywhere else.

From this list of dish types, I have tried everything related to the slimline 5 and 3 and seem to get similar results. I don't know what the different degrees means for the dish types but I have tried them all. I feel it must be something simple I'm missing or perhaps the old receiver is not compatible with the dish?? Any ideas?

01: Round (18")
02: 3-LMB (18"x20")
03: Slimline - 3
04: Slimline - 5
05: Round (18") &72.5 degrees
06: 3-LMB (18"x20") & 72.5 degrees
07: Slimline - 3 & 72.5 degrees
08: Slimline - 5 & 72.5 degrees
09: Round (18") & 95 degrees
10: 3-LMB (18"x20") & 95 degrees
11: Slimline-3 & 95 degrees
12: Slimline-5 & 95 degrees
13: Round & 72.5 degrees & 95 degrees
14: 3-LMB & 72.5 degrees & 95 degrees
15: Slimline-3 & 72.5 degrees & 95 degrees
16: Slimline-5 & 72.5 degrees & 95 degrees
17: Slimline-3S (SWM)
18: Slimline-5S (SWM)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

How far away is your hunting cabin compared to where that reciever is activated (the billing address). The reciever is only entitled to the locals where it is activated to. There are a few workarounds though...

Kevin

#3 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:30 PM

It's about 50 miles away. The guy that brings the dish would have the same locals as I would have and the same as what would normally be available at the cabin.

#4 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:15 PM

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on an issue I'm having with a DirecTV setup at a cabin?

Just a little background, I'm part owner of a "hunting" cabin with seven other guys. One of the owners (of several) has DirecTV and brings up an older DTV receiver when we're up there. I don't know the model number but it's small, silver, SD, and not a DVR. Since I personally switched from DTV to Dish, I put my old DTV dish on the cabin. It's the latest Slimline 5. I had HD, locals, DVR etc...

I'm getting good signal strength on all the satellites as best I can tell, but I'm not getting the locals. They show up in the guide but they seem to be mapped to the wrong channels. For instance local channel 2, which is either CBS or ABC comes on as the NFL network and so on. I ran through all the channels and can't seem to find the locals mapped anywhere else.

From this list of dish types, I have tried everything related to the slimline 5 and 3 and seem to get similar results. I don't know what the different degrees means for the dish types but I have tried them all. I feel it must be something simple I'm missing or perhaps the old receiver is not compatible with the dish?? Any ideas?

02: 3-LMB (18"x20")
03: Slimline - 3
04: Slimline - 5
05: Round (18") &72.5 degrees
06: 3-LMB (18"x20") & 72.5 degrees
07: Slimline - 3 & 72.5 degrees
08: Slimline - 5 & 72.5 degrees
09: Round (18") & 95 degrees
10: 3-LMB (18"x20") & 95 degrees
11: Slimline-3 & 95 degrees
12: Slimline-5 & 95 degrees
13: Round & 72.5 degrees & 95 degrees
14: 3-LMB & 72.5 degrees & 95 degrees
15: Slimline-3 & 72.5 degrees & 95 degrees
16: Slimline-5 & 72.5 degrees & 95 degrees
17: Slimline-3S (SWM)
18: Slimline-5S (SWM)

Your dish is probably pointing at the wrong sat. It is easy to think you are pointing at the 101 when you are in effect pointing at the 110 and vice versa. Re check your alignment.

#5 OFFLINE   DTV77

DTV77

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

I would guess you are having an issue with your LNB on the dish or a problem with cabling/connector somewhere. When you try and tune to a local your receiver is getting wrong/dropped voltage information and is instead bringing up a national channel like NFL Network.

72.5 degrees options are for markets that need 1 dish for national channels and a seperate for locals. The 95 degree option is for the international programming dish. You should be fine selecting the 04 slimline 5 option in the menu.

Is there an available empty port on the Slimline dish you can switch the cable to?

Edited by DTV77, 14 August 2010 - 02:46 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for the responses guys!

Your dish is probably pointing at the wrong sat. It is easy to think you are pointing at the 101 when you are in effect pointing at the 110 and vice versa. Re check your alignment.

I feel fairly confident it's pointed correctly because I'm showing signal strength on all the different satellites. I will check again next time I get up there though.

I would guess you are having an issue with your LNB on the dish or a problem with cabling/connector somewhere. When you try and tune to a local your receiver is getting wrong/dropped voltage information and is instead bringing up a national channel like NFL Network.

72.5 degrees options are for markets that need 1 dish for national channels and a seperate for locals. The 95 degree option is for the international programming dish. You should be fine selecting the 04 slimline 5 option in the menu.

Is there an available empty port on the Slimline dish you can switch the cable to?

Cabling is a real possibility. Thanks for the explanation on the different degrees, now I know to stick with option #4. I will check on the empty ports when I get up there. Are you referring to the number of cable feeds available? If so, I'm pretty sure there are four.

Are possible compatibility issues with the old DTV receiver a non-issue?

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,659 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:47 AM

Are possible compatibility issues with the old DTV receiver a non-issue?

Not really, as everything is backwards compatible.

Maybe it's time to find out what this receiver really is.
SD should only need the 101 [& maybe 119 SATs for locals].
The 72.5 markets are fading and would need a second dish anyway.
One of these should get you working for SD:
02: 3-LNB (18"x20")

Even if you have a Slimline 5
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall