Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR21-700 A problem has been detected in your hard drive

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:24 PM

This afternoon I walked by the HR21 in the bedroom and saw the blue circle spinning. I turned on the TV and it has the above message on it. The scanning process is at 37 % and it has found over 9000 errors. What are the chances it will recover? It is a leased receiver but I do not have the protection plan. What is the normal charge for a replacement, just a shipping charge, or is it luck of the draw?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,243 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

No protection plan will cost you $20 in shipping charges and you will not have a choice of what model receiver you get it will be any of the HR2x series.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#3 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,243 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:27 PM

Even if it does recover, watch everything you can because it probably wont be long before it dies.

#4 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:42 PM

I gave up on it tonight and ordered a replacement for the $19.95 shipping charge. In 13 years of having satellite TV this is the first time I had a receiver go bad. I guess I was due!!

#5 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,243 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:48 AM

I hope you didn't lost too many shows that you cannot find again, I was thinking about that when I finally sat down and watched the last episode of the season of "V" last night.

Maybe you will get a new HR24 as a replacement, at least something good will come from it.

#6 OFFLINE   Mickstix

Mickstix

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:45 PM

We just lost our HR21-700 saturday morning.. Got basically the same thing as the OP, but the screen was just frozen until a RBR and then a "Diagnostic code: 14-607" (Basically a internal harddrive issue).. Unfortunately we lost about 25hous of programming.. :( Let me tell ya, trying to run down online episodes is for the birds.. They either only have the lastest couple episodes, or if the show is over for the season they have the finale' and like the first 4 episodes.. So, were licking our wounds and contemplating buying episodes from "Itunes" for like 1.99 each... That can get expensive just to see public tv shows.. Anyway, tomorrow our new "box" arrives.. I'm hoping for a HR24, but being realistic, I imagine it'll just be another 21-700 or similar.. (We lease, w/no PP) I dont mind the 20$ s/h fee, but for that much you think they could get it here overnight, or at least 2nd day.. Oh well, Im just ramblin now, so take care!

#7 OFFLINE   RCoop

RCoop

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:27 PM

Same problem only no errors and no problems found. Is it toast? did a search and did not find anything. csr told me to check to see if it was plugged in ??????????????????

#8 OFFLINE   MONSTERMAN

MONSTERMAN

Godfather

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:31 AM

Same thing happened to me with the HR21-700. Wasted hours trying to let it fix the internal errors itself. You've got to realize everything "MADE IN CHINA" will only last a couple of years. Little to no QA is performed in these sweat shops. Would be nice if we could buy some HI-END receivers "MADE IN JAPAN".

I had mine swapped out for an HR24-500 (KOREA) during my MRV upgrade for no cost, hate wasting money on that stupid protection plan. Also, with ordering a replacement via mail, you will most likely end up with the same model receiver. Directv is trying to move out their old stock of receivers.

#9 OFFLINE   gtheel

gtheel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:52 AM

I had a similar situation last night (can't remember which HR2x I have). I had seen occasional pixellation and stuttering (both during live and recorded programs) over the last week or so. Then, when I deleted a recorded program, it froze for a few minutes and then rebooted. (This is actually the second time this has happened recently, and each time it was the same program I tried to delete.) After going through the startup sequence, it came to the disk check screen and slowly started creeping up.

After running overnight it the blue circle is still spinning, but the screen is blank (HDMI) so I can't check the disk check status. I don't know how long I should wait before doing a RBR. I don't want to interrupt it in the middle of repairs and potentially cause more damage, even though it seems like the hard drive is going south anyway. Any ideas?

#10 OFFLINE   STEVEN-H

STEVEN-H

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 618 posts
  • Location40241

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:09 AM

My HR21-100 started acting up last week with disk problem. Then unplugging it fixed it. Now it will not boot. Get the blue screen call direct which I did replacement on the way. At times I can get it into diagnostic mode and disk checks out fine. I have a feeling it is the disk controller not the disk.
HR24-500 AM-21
HR24-200 AM-21
Direct TV Slimline-5S (SWM) DECA
Direct TV since 6/23/96.

#11 OFFLINE   Ozwaldo

Ozwaldo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:04 AM

My HR-21 is acting up also as of 8/20 and I don't have PP. My question is when you do the replacement with the $20 shipping does that start your commitment period over again ?

#12 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:41 AM

Wow, a lot of HR 21's are going out at the same time! They sent me a HR21-200 to replace my 700. I asked if it would extend my commitment and they said no. I know they are supposed to refurbish these things but my replacement had several scratches on it, the LED's hardly light up at all and the fan is caked with dirt.

It does work OK but I wonder for how long!

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

My HR-21 is acting up also as of 8/20 and I don't have PP. My question is when you do the replacement with the $20 shipping does that start your commitment period over again ?

No.

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   gtheel

gtheel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:47 PM

I'm a bit confused. If my HR2x is indeed dead, and I don't have the protection plan, do I have to pay the full price for a new one, or will D* send me one for the $20 shipping charge?

#15 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

I'm a bit confused. If my HR2x is indeed dead, and I don't have the protection plan, do I have to pay the full price for a new one, or will D* send me one for the $20 shipping charge?

They will send you one for the shipping charge only. They will try and sell you the protection plan!

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:56 PM

They will send you one for the shipping charge only. They will try and sell you the protection plan!

Which, I think, is a good thing to have. I know it's saved me a small fortune over the years. Some folks get away without ever using it and brush it off as something that nobody really needs. But when you need it...

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   beachlover

beachlover

Mentor

• No PM's
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:15 AM

Which, I think, is a good thing to have. I know it's saved me a small fortune over the years. Some folks get away without ever using it and brush it off as something that nobody really needs. But when you need it...

Rich

How about enlightening us on how it actually saved you money....I only have it because of fear the receivers will quit....

#18 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,794 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:56 AM

:nono2: Looks like the HR21 series have run their course.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:38 AM

How about enlightening us on how it actually saved you money....I only have it because of fear the receivers will quit....

Brushing aside all the problems I had with TiVos and Ultimate TV DVRs that the Protection Plan took care of, I had a really crappy high def dish installation in the fall of '06 and, between then and April of '08, I must have had...I don't really know how many service calls to fix problems caused by that install. My complete cabling system, dish/dishes and several multi-switches were all replaced or refitted. If I had been charged for all this work, I can't begin to imagine how much it would have cost.

The PP's CSRs are, for the most part, more knowledgeable and easier to deal with than the CSRs you get if you don't belong to the PP. They quickly transfer you to the Case Management Group or Retention if they cannot correct the problem. Try that without the PP.

If your dish get, blown off the roof by winds or lightning, the PP quickly will replace the dish and any collateral damage will be fixed.

For what, $6 a month? How can you beat that? I'm a firm believer that most warranties are unnecessary, but in my case, I'm damn glad I spent that $6 a month since day 1 with D*.

Now I'll probably get a few answers to this post from folks who have been using D* for forty or fifty years and have never had a problem and think I'm nuts for spending that paltry amount, but they'll never change my mind. I think it's foolish not to be a member of the PP.

Rich

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:39 AM

:nono2: Looks like the HR21 series have run their course.

And a slow course it has been.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...