Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR21-700 A problem has been detected in your hard drive

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   ColdCase

ColdCase

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it.

I've read here that some use the menu reset when drives reach 25-30% capacity to fix slow performance issues. Is that just for internal drives?

The WD has been working fine with the HR-21 since it was reformatted, but I haven't really tested it. Not sure if I should trust it, any thoughts?

My experience has been that the gray screens, slow channel changes, and stalling on play back with no response to remote buttons have always been a sign that the receiver is having to deal with errors on the hard drive. I pushed the BRB when the the HR continued playing a recorded show for several minutes but would not respond to any remote control or front panel inputs. I was reluctant to just yank the power cord, but now I know better.

I don't think the HR-21 quick format blocks out the bad sectors, it was so quick it couldn't have done a scan?

Is the kind of reset that happens when DTV pushes updated software also dangerous to external drives?

Edited by ColdCase, 21 October 2010 - 11:25 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,582 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:16 PM

There is one sure thing in life, well a few, but in this case, electronics fail. I've got pc's with 6 or 7 year old drives in them, I've got one where the drive started failing after a year, I've had a few over the years that were DOA....its the nature of the beast...

True, but having an external drive and not following the proper method for rebooting them is a recipe for failure.

Rich

#53 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,582 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it.

I've read here that some use the menu reset when drives reach 25-30% capacity to fix slow performance issues. Is that just for internal drives?

Most of the time a full HDD whether internal or external will bog down the HR once you reach between 20-30% Available. You can safely use the Menu Restart with internal drives, but with HRs with external drives I recommend pulling the power cords on both the HR and the external device and then plugging in the external device and then plugging in the HR. Especially with the 24s.

The WD has been working fine with the HR-21 since it was reformatted, but I haven't really tested it. Not sure if I should trust it, any thoughts?

I'd trust the EADS but not the 21. Based on your original post.

My experience has been that the gray screens, slow channel changes, and stalling on play back with no response to remote buttons have always been a sign that the receiver is having to deal with errors on the hard drive. I pushed the BRB when the the HR continued playing a recorded show for several minutes but would not respond to any remote control or front panel inputs. I was reluctant to just yank the power cord, but now I know better.

I've been pulling the plugs on the HRs since I got them. Before that I had UTV DVRs and TiVos and pulled the plugs on them to reset them. Works every time.

I don't think the HR-21 quick format blocks out the bad sectors, it was so quick it couldn't have done a scan?

I don't have the patience for the diagnostics. I look at what the symptoms are and act on what I think is bad. I think you have a bad HR. Happens.

Is the kind of reset that happens when DTV pushes updated software also dangerous to external drives?

Absolutely. I usually reboot all my HRs with externals on them after an NR (National Release of software or firmware). The 20-700s aren't prone to failure after an NR with an external attached, but why take the chance?

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...