Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR21-700 A problem has been detected in your hard drive

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:46 AM

Rich, if you have somehow managed to fill up that 2 TB drive (to a large extent), have you noticed any slow-down as the drive gets "fuller"? I can't imagine I'll ever get over 60%, as I never exceeded that with my 750. Then again, 2 TB could make me lazy.:)

Under normal use, it's damn near impossible to fill up a 2TB drive. But if you don't delete shows, after a while you will fill it up. Mine usually run at about 50% full. So do my 1.5TB drives.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   IndioinHD

IndioinHD

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:00 PM

They really should take the Seagate Showcase off their recommended list. Seagate originally recommended the Showcase for Dish DVRs and Pace (they make the HRs that end in "700") DVRs. After I called them and explained that D* has several other manufacturers they took that recommendation off their website. Seagate has told me time and again, they don't recommend any of their HDDs for DVRs. I haven't talked to them in quite a while and they may now have one such as the WD EVDS that is now specifically made for DVRs.

Rich

Yes they should, a new Seagate should not die in a year, guess I need to look at the setup hasan mentioned you and he are running.

Still no way to extract programming in HD format when something goes wrong?

#43 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,862 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:38 PM

Under normal use, it's damn near impossible to fill up a 2TB drive. But if you don't delete shows, after a while you will fill it up. Mine usually run at about 50% full. So do my 1.5TB drives.

Rich

I'll have to wait at least one more day, perhaps 3. I have the drive, I have the spare eSATA cable, but the Thermalite Dock, which was scheduled for delivery today, did not show up. I even went down to the post office to check. They went through everything received since this morning's delivery went out. No joy.

I'm supposed to call the PO from work tomorrow morning for a "heads up", but if it doesn't show, then it:s Monday afternoon.

I'm not being too anxious for it to get here, am I:) :)

pl.s. That drive is surprisingly heavy, which I always take as a good sign.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#44 OFFLINE   07A3

07A3

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:37 AM

My HR21-500 bit the dust this weekend...drive failure. I guess maybe they have an expiration date on them?! I have an older HR21-100 that is still working fine, although I have external drive connected to that. I have been looking for an excuse to upgrade MRV anyway...

#45 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:34 AM

Yes they should, a new Seagate should not die in a year, guess I need to look at the setup hasan mentioned you and he are running.

Still no way to extract programming in HD format when something goes wrong?

I have a lot of HRs and back up everything in triplicate. So, I've never had to worry about losing programming if an HDD or an HR fails. There are ways to do it, perhaps someone else can point you to the thread.

Rich

#46 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:35 AM

I'll have to wait at least one more day, perhaps 3. I have the drive, I have the spare eSATA cable, but the Thermalite Dock, which was scheduled for delivery today, did not show up. I even went down to the post office to check. They went through everything received since this morning's delivery went out. No joy.

I'm supposed to call the PO from work tomorrow morning for a "heads up", but if it doesn't show, then it:s Monday afternoon.

I'm not being too anxious for it to get here, am I:) :)

pl.s. That drive is surprisingly heavy, which I always take as a good sign.

This is why I pay for Prime shipping from Amazon. $79 well spent and I don't drive myself crazy waiting for my toys to come. :)

Rich

#47 OFFLINE   ColdCase

ColdCase

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:25 PM

My HR21-700 has been giving me a few freezes, like a drive issue. I'm using an external 2TB WD20EADS in an eSATA Antec housing (as was recommended here about a year ago) about 25% filled. I did a RB reset, was distracted reading emails when I looked up the DVR said it was formatting the drive... lost all my programming and scheduled items, kinda suspect the drive is on the way out (but only in use 13 months, I thought the WDs were good drives). I have a DTV TIVO unit thats lasted over 6 years.

So I power down and disconnect the external drive but the HR21-700 now dies with a 14-174 storage device error. Hmmph... this internal drive was used for maybe a month at the most.... so I guess they are failing regardless of whether you use them or not.

Anyway before I call DTV for a replacement DVR, could i have done anything wrong that caused the 14-174 error?

What's the latest on the best 1-2TB drive for these DVRs? Anyone go through the WD warrantee process?

Is this a drive thing or perhaps a HR21 software or hardware problem?

My HR22-100 seems to be working fine.

#48 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:12 AM

My HR21-700 has been giving me a few freezes, like a drive issue. I'm using an external 2TB WD20EADS in an eSATA Antec housing (as was recommended here about a year ago) about 25% filled. I did a RB reset, was distracted reading emails when I looked up the DVR said it was formatting the drive... lost all my programming and scheduled items, kinda suspect the drive is on the way out (but only in use 13 months, I thought the WDs were good drives). I have a DTV TIVO unit thats lasted over 6 years.

The mistake you made was using the red button. The proper way to reset an HR with an external device is to unplug both the power cords from the HR and the external device and then plug in the external and wait a bit and then plug in the HR. NEVER do a reboot with an external connected by using the RBR method. Haven't touched that red button for a long time and haven't had any problems.

The EADS were the best that WD had when we recommended them. We had no way of knowing how long they would last. Now the best is the WD EVDS line of HDDs. Specifically made for DVRs.

So I power down and disconnect the external drive but the HR21-700 now dies with a 14-174 storage device error. Hmmph... this internal drive was used for maybe a month at the most.... so I guess they are failing regardless of whether you use them or not.

You gotta remember that the internal drive still runs when you connect an external HDD. And with a 21-700, as soon as the HR recognizes the external HDD the fan shuts off inside the HR. If you check the temp of a 21-700 with an external HDD, you'll see 77 degrees. That means the fan isn't running and it's gonna read 77 degrees no matter how hot it gets. The 20s don't work in this manner. When you hook up an external HDD to a 20-700 the fan keeps running and you get the proper readout of temps inside the HR.

Anyway before I call DTV for a replacement DVR, could i have done anything wrong that caused the 14-174 error?

Yup. You never want to use the RBR method or the Menu Restart option with an external device connected. You might get away with it or you might get the results you see before you.

What's the latest on the best 1-2TB drive for these DVRs? Anyone go through the WD warrantee process?

Again, any WD EVDS model HDD. Never had to use the warranty. My EADS have been running perfectly for over a year. I've switched to buying the EVDS model now and am putting them in Thermaltake docking stations rather than the MX-1s.

It's probably a problem with the 21. And I don't think you can fix it. I'd be willing to bet that if you put that external setup you have on another HR it will work. The EADS and the MX-1s are a good setup.

Why don't you stick the MX-1 with the EADS HDD on the 22. Betcha it works.

Rich

#49 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:37 AM

By the way, don't mention the external device when you call D*. Ever.

Rich

#50 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:34 AM

There is one sure thing in life, well a few, but in this case, electronics fail. I've got pc's with 6 or 7 year old drives in them, I've got one where the drive started failing after a year, I've had a few over the years that were DOA....its the nature of the beast...

#51 OFFLINE   ColdCase

ColdCase

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it.

I've read here that some use the menu reset when drives reach 25-30% capacity to fix slow performance issues. Is that just for internal drives?

The WD has been working fine with the HR-21 since it was reformatted, but I haven't really tested it. Not sure if I should trust it, any thoughts?

My experience has been that the gray screens, slow channel changes, and stalling on play back with no response to remote buttons have always been a sign that the receiver is having to deal with errors on the hard drive. I pushed the BRB when the the HR continued playing a recorded show for several minutes but would not respond to any remote control or front panel inputs. I was reluctant to just yank the power cord, but now I know better.

I don't think the HR-21 quick format blocks out the bad sectors, it was so quick it couldn't have done a scan?

Is the kind of reset that happens when DTV pushes updated software also dangerous to external drives?

Edited by ColdCase, 21 October 2010 - 11:25 AM.

#52 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:16 PM

There is one sure thing in life, well a few, but in this case, electronics fail. I've got pc's with 6 or 7 year old drives in them, I've got one where the drive started failing after a year, I've had a few over the years that were DOA....its the nature of the beast...

True, but having an external drive and not following the proper method for rebooting them is a recipe for failure.

Rich

#53 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it.

I've read here that some use the menu reset when drives reach 25-30% capacity to fix slow performance issues. Is that just for internal drives?

Most of the time a full HDD whether internal or external will bog down the HR once you reach between 20-30% Available. You can safely use the Menu Restart with internal drives, but with HRs with external drives I recommend pulling the power cords on both the HR and the external device and then plugging in the external device and then plugging in the HR. Especially with the 24s.

The WD has been working fine with the HR-21 since it was reformatted, but I haven't really tested it. Not sure if I should trust it, any thoughts?

I'd trust the EADS but not the 21. Based on your original post.

My experience has been that the gray screens, slow channel changes, and stalling on play back with no response to remote buttons have always been a sign that the receiver is having to deal with errors on the hard drive. I pushed the BRB when the the HR continued playing a recorded show for several minutes but would not respond to any remote control or front panel inputs. I was reluctant to just yank the power cord, but now I know better.

I've been pulling the plugs on the HRs since I got them. Before that I had UTV DVRs and TiVos and pulled the plugs on them to reset them. Works every time.

I don't think the HR-21 quick format blocks out the bad sectors, it was so quick it couldn't have done a scan?

I don't have the patience for the diagnostics. I look at what the symptoms are and act on what I think is bad. I think you have a bad HR. Happens.

Is the kind of reset that happens when DTV pushes updated software also dangerous to external drives?

Absolutely. I usually reboot all my HRs with externals on them after an NR (National Release of software or firmware). The 20-700s aren't prone to failure after an NR with an external attached, but why take the chance?

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...