Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR10-250 won't activate DVR service

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   94SupraTT

94SupraTT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:34 PM

I own a HR10-250 which I "owe" however DirecTV claims it will not reactivate do to a lack of a phone line. I've deactivated and reactivated this receiver in the past with no issues. D* claims there are no issues. They've tried to "resend" service and rebooted multiple times to no avail. They claim I need to plug it into a landline however I haven't in years (only needed for ppv) and it wouldn't work anyways (i have vonage)
50" P50H401 Plasma / HR20-100
42" TH-42PX80U Plasma / HR10-250 hacked
32" FLM-323B LCD / HR10-250 hacked
DirecTivo SD-DVR40 (160GB/4.0.1b/HMO/etc, etc) - deactivated
DirecTivo R10 - inactive
Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD player

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:16 PM

Many are having trouble with no phone #'s to call out on, so they can't activate Dtivos at this time:

http://www.tivocommu...ad.php?t=453677
aka Tivoburkee

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

DirecTiVos have *always* required a land line to activate the DVR service. There is no work-around for this; you MUST plug it in to a land line.

If the TiVo has had the DVR service deactivated, or if it hasn't been plugged in continuously to the satellite for a while, it will require a phone line to reactivate the TiVo service. That's a TiVo requirement that DirecTV has no control over.

#4 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:26 AM

Yep, gotta have a phone line. Maybe letting D* know first so they don't freak out when it dials in from the wrong place, try taking it over to a friends house that has a legacy D* system and a real phone line.

Once you get it activated again, it won't need to call home again until you turn off its activation, it will just nag you for a phone line every once in a while.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#5 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

I own a HR10-250...and it wouldn't work anyways (i have vonage)

I have Vonage, too...and my HR10-250...HDVR2...and R10 all worked with only occasional connect failures.

Make sure you include the *99 prefix in your dialing string to use the max bandwidth and disable call waiting.

YMMV, of course, depending on your ISP's latency.

Edited by Kansas Zephyr, 17 August 2010 - 09:34 AM.

5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#6 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:31 AM

DirecTiVos have *always* required a land line to activate the DVR service. There is no work-around for this; you MUST plug it in to a land line.

If the TiVo has had the DVR service deactivated, or if it hasn't been plugged in continuously to the satellite for a while, it will require a phone line to reactivate the TiVo service. That's a TiVo requirement that DirecTV has no control over.

There is a work around in lue of connecting a phone line. You can get or make a miniplug to db9 serial conenctor and hook it to a computer to have it dial out with terminal via tyour internet connection for those without an actual phone line. It's rather easy to do and much faster when downloading to boot ;)

I have personally done this for years until I finally swapped out my last hr10-250 a few months back....

*For anyone wanting to to use a internet connection in lue of a phone line here's the info you need:

Attached Thumbnails

• tivomodemcable.gif
  • tivo-serial-connection.PNG

Attached Files

Edited by Yoda-DBSguy, 17 August 2010 - 10:09 AM.

spam firewall