Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TV Provider price comparison

l545

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Justin85

Justin85

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:26 AM

So I have a friend at work who I was talking about switching to U-Verse, I tried talking him into DTV instead of it based on you can't have 2+ DVRs, or lack of HD pic quality. But his main argument was that "in the end" U-Verse TV was cheaper. (He has Comcast now btw)

It was a slow day at work (I'm a Firefighter) so I threw together this quick Excel sheet.

Some info about it, First, he is WANTING Two HDDVR's, Second, He has AAA, so I added the AAA Discount to DTV, couldn't find any such discount for the other providers. Third, in our area, we have DTV, DishNet, Comcast, and AT&T, so only they are listed. All promo's listed are for the Indianapolis Market, zip 46113.

I figured I would post this here, because it turns out over a two year period (life of contract) DTV is cheaper even after up front lease fees, plus he would get that 2nd. HDDVR that he can't get on U-Verse.

If even one person finds this useful besides him, I guess I didn't completely waste my time!

Attached Files

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,917 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:39 AM

So I have a friend at work who I was talking about switching to U-Verse, I tried talking him into DTV instead of it based on you can't have 2+ DVRs, or lack of HD pic quality. But his main argument was that "in the end" U-Verse TV was cheaper. (He has Comcast now btw)

It was a slow day at work (I'm a Firefighter) so I threw together this quick Excel sheet.

Some info about it, First, he is WANTING Two HDDVR's, Second, He has AAA, so I added the AAA Discount to DTV, couldn't find any such discount for the other providers. Third, in our area, we have DTV, DishNet, Comcast, and AT&T, so only they are listed. All promo's listed are for the Indianapolis Market, zip 46113.

I figured I would post this here, because it turns out over a two year period (life of contract) DTV is cheaper even after up front lease fees, plus he would get that 2nd. HDDVR that he can't get on U-Verse.

If even one person finds this useful besides him, I guess I didn't completely waste my time!

Nice spreadsheet. :)

I found it hard to do a comparison with UVerse for my setup. They are very limited in hardware configurations. I couldn’t get three DVRs and they could come close to matching my storage capacity.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,103 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:15 AM

Too bad he can't get the AAA discount and the referral discount. If your spreadsheet convinces him to go with DirecTV you deserve the referral.

#4 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,307 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:23 AM

I did a similar spreadsheet about 6 months ago and DirecTV was the least expensive on my wallet as well, in the St. Louis area. No UVerse available here though...but again, for the things I had and the addition of an HD receiver (for $99.00) the whole thing would have been nearly $100 less expensive for a two year commitment. :)
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#5 OFFLINE   nevea2be

nevea2be

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:03 AM

Here the Digital Preferred from Comcast cost's 78.40 a month and the cost for each HD-DVR is 14.95 a month and 8.70 a month for an HD receiver. Plus all the wonderful tax's. So here it would cost 108+ a month after the promotion period for Preferred and two HD-DVR's. Preferred only offers a 100+ digital channels.

#6 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:20 AM

Whole Home DVR comcast does have lighter ver of that rolling out now.

U-200 is way less then Choice Ultimate and it's less then choice extra.

to get near choice extra you need U-300 + sports (U-300 forces you to get movies Starz + movie channel + Showtime) and even then NO MLB network.

U-300 has and U-200 does not
CNNI (CNN International)
Fox Business Network
CNBC World
Investigation Discovery
NASA TV
qubo
PBS Kids Sprout
Planet Green
fit tv
ION Life
MTV Tr3s
MTV Jams
mtvU
Centric
BET Gospel
VH1 Soul
CMT Pure Country

need sports for

NHL Network
CBS College Sports Network
Sportsman Channel
The Tennis Channel
GolTV
TVG Network
HRTV
Outdoor Channel
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#7 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:26 AM

Nice work on the spreadsheet. Even without the AAA discount, DirecTV is cheapest by at least $100 over two years. That pays for at least 33 months of MRV! :)
/steve

#8 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:18 AM

Night want to check ATT for directv discounts also, at least here Directv is available through ATT with a discount

#9 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

^^^

Yep. If you're friend already has AT&T phone service, he can get another $5/month off DirecTV. OTOH, U-verse has about 30 more HD channels than DirecTV ATM, if that makes a difference. I plan to jump on U-verse as soon as possible for that very reason.

#10 OFFLINE   GoPokes43

GoPokes43

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:43 PM

Cool. Do you just need to add the upfront cost of the DTV box to the first month?

#11 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:59 PM

Here the Digital Preferred from Comcast cost's 78.40 a month and the cost for each HD-DVR is 14.95 a month and 8.70 a month for an HD receiver. Plus all the wonderful tax's. So here it would cost 108+ a month after the promotion period for Preferred and two HD-DVR's. Preferred only offers a 100+ digital channels.

and in Chicago land you need to add sports pack to get fox movie channle and speed (parts of the area)

#12 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:00 PM

Cool. Do you just need to add the upfront cost of the DTV box to the first month?

they are giving out a free HDDVR and HD box now.

#13 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

^^^

Yep. If you're friend already has AT&T phone service, he can get another $5/month off DirecTV. OTOH, U-verse has about 30 more HD channels than DirecTV ATM, if that makes a difference. I plan to jump on U-verse as soon as possible for that very reason.

doubt if I ever will, small drive on their dvr, no chance of external drive, limited HD streams (1HD/3SD, 2HD/2SD or in rare cases 3HD/1SD), 1 DVR allowed per hoursehold just will not work. Have 5 HD tv's already in use. A total of 4 streams at one time will not work either. Might d the due diligence on the Uverse system real close, the number of HD streams depends on how far you are from the vrad

#14 OFFLINE   BruceG

BruceG

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:50 PM

The uVerse figures are the same, with the same promos here in San Francisco Bay Area. By ordering online it's pretty common to get $150 rebate when ordering uVerse 200 package. If it's combined with their internet it's a $250 rebate.
Bruce

#15 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:35 PM

I have uverse and it's great for apartments and crappy televisions. For the HD/DVR/MRV with uverse it is cheaper than D* without the contract.

And if you don't have a great tv who cares about PQ.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#16 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:06 PM

doubt if I ever will, small drive on their dvr, no chance of external drive, limited HD streams (1HD/3SD, 2HD/2SD or in rare cases 3HD/1SD), 1 DVR allowed per hoursehold just will not work. Have 5 HD tv's already in use. A total of 4 streams at one time will not work either. Might d the due diligence on the Uverse system real close, the number of HD streams depends on how far you are from the vrad

Thanks for the heads up, but none of those are factors for me in my 1 DVR / 1 HDTV household with 80% free space most of the time. 2HD/2SD streams will suffice. I'm just tired of watching my favorite shows in D*'s lousy SD. So I'd rather have more HD channels and the nice snappy HD GUI. HD PQ isn't as good as D*, but it's close enough and much, much better than cable. D* has been lagging behind in HD choices for far too long.

#17 OFFLINE   CTJon

CTJon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:30 AM

Having HAD to go to uverse from DirecTV - forget about costs - DirecTV is a significantly better product in every way that I can think of. Making it cheaper in the long run is an even better deal. I wouldn't recommend anyone doing UVerse.

#18 ONLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,917 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:24 AM

Having HAD to go to uverse from DirecTV - forget about costs - DirecTV is a significantly better product in every way that I can think of. Making it cheaper in the long run is an even better deal. I wouldn't recommend anyone doing UVerse.

I just can’t understand the limitations on their equipment. I could not get the person over the phone to give me an identical setup to what I have now. It’s as if they a base configuration that they add on to and that’s it. I understand that it’s probably great from a tech support standpoint, but the configuration is very inflexible.

Here in Norwich we actually had a guy going door to door pushing UVerse when it became available. Now you’d thing someone whose sole job is to sell a single product would have a clue. Apparently not. :rolleyes:

All he had was a script he that was actually reading off of and a check list to determine what hardware I could get. I showed him what I had and he couldn’t even come close. At the time the max recording space he could give me was 65 hours.

From what I’ve seen, it’s decent for a basic setup...probably for the majority of people. Especially considering the bundling. But, I agree whole heartedly with you on this. Even if they were less money, I would be getting less capability for the dollar.

What really annoys me is I can’t get UVerse internet without getting TV. :shrug:

BTW, the door to door guy had DirecTV through AT&T. !rolling

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#19 OFFLINE   sarcasmo

sarcasmo

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for the spreadsheet! Using it now to compare my current Comcast setup to DirecTV and U-Verse. On the fence about U-Verse. They are finally available here, but limitations seem to big. Not a lot of space on that single DVR. We have three today and I imagine we would fill it up in no time.

FYI, U-Verse is offering $150-$350 back in my area (depending on your bundle) that I think you should include in your decision.

#20 OFFLINE   Glen_D

Glen_D

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:39 PM

What really annoys me is I can’t get UVerse internet without getting TV.

Maybe it will just be a matter of time in your area. AT&T actually offers U-verse standalone internet service in my area. Their website shows monthy pricing from $35-$65, depending on speed.

Previously, I heard of people getting the internet/TV bundle, getting the rebate, then cancelling the TV portion only, in order to get standalone U-verse internet.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...