Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TV Provider price comparison

l545

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,858 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:46 AM

Maybe it will just be a matter of time in your area. AT&T actually offers U-verse standalone internet service in my area. Their website shows monthy pricing from $35-$65, depending on speed.

Previously, I heard of people getting the internet/TV bundle, getting the rebate, then cancelling the TV portion only, in order to get standalone U-verse internet.

The website in our area shows the same thing but when I try to order it I get a message saying my order is incomplete. After I called AT&T I found out I have to order the minimum TV package in order to get internet.

I've read about people getting the TV package and canceling but they have to come in to do the install. I just don't want them messing with my system.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Glen_D

Glen_D

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:42 PM

I've read about people getting the TV package and canceling but they have to come in to do the install. I just don't want them messing with my system.

I'm not aware of a self-install option for U-verse, even if all you want is internet. Before SBC became AT&T, they used to make a DSL self-install kit available for their POTS customers, but I don't know if DSL self-installs are still an option.

You can run your own cabling for U-verse, and have the technicians make the terminations, but they have to enter your premises to make the proper connections at your NID (or replace the NID if it is not up to current standards). They also have to verify SYNC, verify grounding continuity of the electrical outlet your gateway will be plugged into, and authorize your gateway. The gateway and set-top boxes remain property of AT&T.

The only additional work performed if you are getting U-verse TV service is to place a set-top box at each TV that you want to have service, and connect a cable from that box to the gateway.

#23 OFFLINE   dtvrillo

dtvrillo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:42 PM

U-verse has BBC HD
Top Gear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SBCA Lvl 2 Tech
Charleston, SC

#24 OFFLINE   kovach

kovach

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:41 AM

The savings with U-verse seem to come on the U-verse Voice side...basically VOIP. Unlimited long distance and just about every option known to man for $30/mo.

But they've had some significant issues with Voice in homes with alarms.

#25 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:52 AM

The thing to consider with U-Verse is how much you value PQ. If you aren't too picky, it may be the best deal.
DTV = Digital Television

#26 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,858 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:58 AM

The thing to consider with U-Verse is how much you value PQ. If you aren't too picky, it may be the best deal.

My friends PQ is pretty dang good.

Although, I have read that there can be a big difference from region to region.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#27 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:27 AM

My friends PQ is pretty dang good.

I'm not surprised. With the advances in compression algorithms over the past couple of years, the differences in HD PQ at normal viewing distances these days are often more theoretical than practical, IMHO. That said, I understand from what others are posting that AT&T PQ is not consistent across the country. I guess in areas where they lack sufficient bandwidth, they're upping the compression to compensate.

E.g., I have a calibrated 65" 1080p plasma, and when I critically compare 1080p PPV to standard 720p or 1080i HD sitting 10' away, I honestly don't see any difference, even though I want to. Unless I plan to sit a foot away from the screen, I think 1080p is more marketing hype than anything else, and generally a waste of the extra bandwidth it consumes. Just my .02.

Edited by Steve, 09 September 2010 - 06:07 AM.

/steve

#28 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:53 PM

I wonder how the folks with U-Verse are enjoying The Hallmark Channel lately? Oops, I guess they aren't since A T & T is having a dispute with the program provider and yanked those channels last week.

Of course, they lowered the package price due to this, right? :D

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#29 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,858 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:45 AM

I wonder how the folks with U-Verse are enjoying The Hallmark Channel lately? Oops, I guess they aren't since A T & T is having a dispute with the program provider and yanked those channels last week.

Of course, they lowered the package price due to this, right? :D

Umm...Yeah. :rolleyes:

My biggest problem with UVerse is when I try to price it out they refuse to give me a hardware configuration similar to what I have now. They will only give me a whole home DVR with 65 hours of HD space. They will not give me more than one DVR...only two standalone boxes connected to the DVR for the additional TVs. Plus, they want $7/mo for each of those boxes. :nono:

IMHO, a very limited configuration; it may be easy to support but not very flexible. When I told the guy that I have six tuners with about 400 hours and want the same, he told me there was no way I will get that from UVerse. :shrug:

It’s not even any cheaper for me after the six month intro rate and I also loose a lot of capability. There's no real way to compare apples to apples with UVerse. :shrug:

Mike

µß

#30 OFFLINE   Eskimo

Eskimo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:36 AM

I'm not surprised. With the advances in compression algorithms over the past couple of years, the differences in HD PQ at normal viewing distances these days are often more theoretical than practical, IMHO.

E.g., I have a calibrated 65" 1080p plasma, and when I critically compare 1080p PPV to standard 720p or 1080i HD sitting 10' away, I honestly don't see any difference, even though I want to. Unless I plan to sit a foot away from the screen, I think 1080p is more marketing hype than anything else, and generally a waste of the extra bandwidth it consumes. Just my .02.

Having just switched from Dish to DTV, I can say without a doubt that from 10' distance on 50" plasma (calibrated), the PQ is definitively better with DTV, both SD and HD.

The only time I would expect to see a difference between 1080i and 1080p is with fast-panning scenes.

I agree with you though - someone who rents a 1080p movie thinking they're going to get Blu-Ray quality will be quite let down.
Rich in PA...

H24-700 - MBR 32" Vizio
HR24-200 - Great Room 50" Panny plasma w/ sound bar
HR24-200 - Theater room 128" 2.35:1 screen, Emotiva UMC-1, Klipsch KLF/KSP 7.1 speakers / Fi subs (18" x2), 3300 watts RMS.
MRV, ICK..

#31 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:10 AM

Having just switched from Dish to DTV, I can say without a doubt that from 10' distance on 50" plasma (calibrated), the PQ is definitively better with DTV, both SD and HD.

Ya. If Dish is still broadcasting any channels in MPEG-2 "HD Lite", like DirecTV used to, I agree with you on that. I was thinking about channels that are strictly AVC/MPEG-4. I find SD is another kettle of fish and PQ is variable depending on the network.
/steve

#32 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:44 AM

They are heading my way with Uverse. I already have D* so from spreadsheet I would save a bit for the first year with Uverse otherwise pricing is about the same. I wouldn't jump for that unless I got a better combo price with internet or D* fails to catch up on core HD channels this year. Of course this is all a moot point to the hardcore sports guys. You have to spot D* sports dominance.

#33 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,681 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:50 AM

U-verse has BBC HD
Top Gear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DirecTV has Top Gear in HD too actually.

#34 OFFLINE   Justin85

Justin85

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:30 AM

I'm not surprised. With the advances in compression algorithms over the past couple of years, the differences in HD PQ at normal viewing distances these days are often more theoretical than practical, IMHO.

The HD Quality in the Indianapolis region for AT&T is terrible. I didn't realize how bad it was until DirecTV was installed... it's night and day. Sports programing is where it is most noticeable. I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma, at a normal viewing distance, and my wife mentioned that D* looks much crisper and more vivid (her words). Their is no comparison... for new customers D* wins in price, and quality.

#35 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:05 AM

The HD Quality in the Indianapolis region for AT&T is terrible. I didn't realize how bad it was until DirecTV was installed... it's night and day [...]

Ya. Yours is the second post I've read that indicates that AT&T is not sending the same signal to all customers across the U-verse footprint. I guess they're short on bandwidth in certain areas and are compensating with more compression.
/steve

#36 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:34 AM

nice work,
thanks
I have forwarded your handiwork to some family and friends

spam firewall