Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The DIRECTV HD DVR – 4 years long and going strong

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23113&stc=1&d=1281979400

The DIRECTV HD DVR – 4 years long and going strong

After 3 years of incremental steps, DIRECTV took a big leap with the 4th year of the HD DVR. DIRECTV not only added a second generation HD DVR platform, but they also introduced 3DTV for the first time and gave us a glimpse of the future with the demonstration of a Home Media Center platform based on a new technology. In addition to these broad sweeping changes, DIRECTV continued to improve the overall product making the 4th year of the DIRECTV HD DVR the best yet.

The Second Coming

In 2010, DIRECTV introduced its second generation HD DVR series with the release of the HR24-500 and followed later by the HR24-100 and HR24-200. DIRECTV really got one thing right with this new line of set top boxes: speed. While the earlier models may not have always been fleet of foot, the second generation models have proven to give a whole new meaning to the word speed. Another change is the appearance. The HR24 series sports a whole new look and can’t be easily confused with the first generation models.

http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23111&stc=1&d=1281979428

By all accounts, most people are getting the newer HR24 models as part of new installations today. While there are still some of the older models in the supply and support chains, there are now three manufacturers making HR24 DVRs. Look for the HR24 to become not only the most desired HD DVR, but also the most available HD DVR in the not-too-distant future.

I’m Seeing Double

No, that side-by-side vision that you may be getting doesn’t mean you need to tune your set. DIRECTV introduced it’s first 3D channels this year after adding support for 3D TVs into all of it’s HD DVRs with the exception of the HR20 series. There are currently 3 channels available in 3D: ESPN-3D, n3D and DIRECTV Cinema 3D. In addition, DIRECTV has made even more 3D content available on demand. The catch, of course, is that you need to have a 3D-capable TV. While DIRECTV takes precautions to prevent a non-3D capable TV from viewing 3D content, it won’t hurt your TV it it does come through. You’ll just see double like the image below:

http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23112&stc=1&d=1281979428

While 3D is still in it’s infancy, DIRECTV is committed to bringing 3D content into your your home using it’s HD DVR.

A glimpse into the future

This past January at CES 2010, DIRECTV showcased a new receiver dubbed the HMC30. This “Home Media Center” prototype sports a number of differences when compared to DIRECTV’s current line of HD DVRs. It would seem that HMC30 has more than two tuners and uses a new technology called RVU that extends the server to other rooms in your homes via a client device. Very little information was offered at CES other than an indication that the HMC30 would be available in late 2010 or early 2011. This new wave of technology looks to be the start of a new era in DIRECTV’s distribution of content to the home.

But wait — there’s more

Despite the introduction of a fresh new line of hardware, DIRECTV continued to develop new features for the HD DVR platform this year. The biggest of course is Whole Home DVR Service (or Multi-room Viewing) which allows you to watch programs from your HD DVR in another room. This is one of the most revolutionary features to come to a DIRECTV DVR in a long time and is available on all HR2x-series HD DVRs. Not only that, H21 and later receivers can act as remote clients for Whole Home DVR Service giving them almost all of the capabilities of a DVR.

DIRECTV revamped its search technology this past year to make searches faster and more relevant. Smart Search finds matches wherever they are, whether by title, actor, channel or keyword. Top Matches allows you to find programs quickly based on as few keystrokes as possible. It’s like having Google for your DVR.

New technology has created an opportunity for 3D TV to be beamed directly into your home. DIRECTV launched 3D this year as well and is available for all 1st and 2nd generation DVRs with the exception of the HR20 series. This new technology was launched with the World Cup competition this past summer.

Another new item this year is the introduction of cast & crew information. This information along with additional enriched guide data allows your DVR to help you to find information about the people in the shows you are watching as well as the ability to find programs that are similar by choosing “You Might Like” in the program information screen.

Conclusion

With 3DTV and faster second generation receivers here now plus the new RVU technology around the corner, DIRECTV has entered a new phase. The HD DVRs have moved past core functionality into advanced features and toward a completely immersive entertainment experience. In 2010 there’s no doubt that DIRECTV now delivers class-leading, solid performance. Who knows what’s next?

Doug Brott and Stuart Sweet

Attached Thumbnails

• HR24-200.jpg
  • non3dtv.jpg
  • HR2x-yr4.jpg

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

Here are earlier articles:

Year One

Year Two

Year Three

Edited by Doug Brott, 16 August 2010 - 11:34 AM.

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:19 PM

Who knows what’s next?

I'm sure someone knows what's next. The question is, when will they let us know!

:grin:

#4 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:24 PM

As always, great job Doug!!!

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#5 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 855 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:30 PM

Not bad too bad! :D

I can tell you whats needed:

1. The ability to watch your recorded and live shows via ANY computer platform (or at least win and mac) on your home network and possibly any mobile platform ala Sling Box (Dish has this now).

2. Homer Sever which is coming. Main sever should have 4-8 SAT tuners and 2 OTA tuners feeding at least 4-6 clients via TV or computer

3. Integrated Internet and Apps, maybe with Apple? Since DISH has partnered with Google, DIRECTV should get with Apple or Microsoft and do a joint thing.

Dish has/will these capabilities soon as will AT&T UVERSE and Comcast very soon. I am tempted to go with AT&T if they get computer up and running soon like I have been told by insiders that they will.

in my area. PQ and channels that I want are there. There DVR are good enough and will get as good as DIRECTV soon.

I love what D* had done over the years and I am happy. I will wait to see what AT&T does before I go get a few HR24s.

#6 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,459 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

Thanks Doug for putting us through memory lane! It is great to have someone capture the essence of what has transpired. You've done that quite well with this latest installment.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#7 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,431 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:40 PM

Dougs thanks for the info. Wow 4 years it seems like I have my HR20-700 silver bullet for longer than that

JACK,

#8 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,099 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:44 PM

A great piece that reminds us all of not only how far we've come in 4 short years...but all the the improvements/enhancements during that same timeframe. It seems like only a short time ago we were all learning about the HR20's for the first time...

Having used many other providers' HD DVRs over the past year, including more than one model from TWC, Comcast, and UVerse to name a few...I've learned to really appreciate just how great the HR24's work in contrast to those other units.

Super summary and nice photos.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#9 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

The HR2x line shares the same birthday as my daughter, who is also 4 years old today, so I should always be able to remember when the HR2x was first launched.
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#10 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,300 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:00 PM

Ahhh, the memories. I still have my first two HR20-700s and an HR20-100. They have a lot of hours on them but still perform great. The 700s are from September and October of 2006. Thanks for the reminder, Doug and Stuart. :D

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#11 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:14 AM

Thanks Doug that was great.

I would have never guessed 14 years ago when I signed up that we would be where we are today D* really has done a great job looking at the big picture

#12 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:27 PM

I would like to tell my situation, and why DirecTv fits so well into my life. I am partially disabled. I get along quite well with a walker, and am active in the CE program. I need to spend a certain # of hours in bed, so I have a computer monitor on a swing arm on wall over my bed.

This makes DIRECTV2PC worth its weight in gold! Of course my kids get around the DVRs, finding new features all the time,.and my wife refuses to give up her tivo. So there's something for everybody.

I worked for a special company, USSB, and once that was acquired, just never left. To the future!
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#13 OFFLINE   Sartori

Sartori

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:59 PM

Two years with two HR21-Pros and zero issues:)

#14 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:38 PM

Nice summary. Brings back memories of getting the first HR20's, had three of them. But one is still going strong and hope it continues.

Looking forward to 2011 CES to see what else Directv shows. Already registered and waiting to go.

#15 OFFLINE   mliebman

mliebman

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:27 PM

Will Directv ever come out with tivo brand (mpeg4) DVR . They been stringing us along for 2-3 years I believe.

#16 OFFLINE   Sartori

Sartori

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:28 PM

Will Directv ever come out with tivo brand (mpeg4) DVR . They been stringing us along for 2-3 years I believe.

Don't really care myself:)

#17 OFFLINE   narcolept

narcolept

Godfather

• Registered
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:02 PM

Not the place to discuss it.

Try this thread.

#18 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:23 AM

Wait, what's the difference between the HR24-500 and HR24-200?

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:46 AM

Wait, what's the difference between the HR24-500 and HR24-200?

Not positive about this, but a couple members have told me that the 200 has a more advanced processor than the 500. I have both and the 200 does seem to be less buggy than the 500. Both have WD EVDS 2TB externals on them in Thermaltake docking stations.

Don't take this as Gospel, both members weren't positive about the processors. But the 200 I have is definitely less buggy than the 500.

Rich

#20 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:37 AM

Not positive about this, but a couple members have told me that the 200 has a more advanced processor than the 500. I have both and the 200 does seem to be less buggy than the 500. Both have WD EVDS 2TB externals on them in Thermaltake docking stations.

Don't take this as Gospel, both members weren't positive about the processors. But the 200 I have is definitely less buggy than the 500.

Rich

Ok, I have the 200. I guess in this case the higher the number doesn't always mean the better. I was hoping I had the latest (the installer said I did).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...