Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV with only Wireless Internet

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   druwhall

druwhall

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:44 PM

I am getting my system installed tomorrow. I am supposed to be able to get MRV and On Demand through my wireless internet. I do NOT have a router. I explained this to the Directv Representative and they guaranteed me that I would be able to get MRV and On Demand just through a wireless adapter the installer would install free of charge. Does this seem right? I've tried to reading about MRV and the Wireless adapters but I'm having a hard time understanding. :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:28 PM

Without a router, nothing in your house can connect to the internet besides the PC your modem is directly connected to. Take the free wireless adapter by all means, but I'm very surprised that's being offered at all as it's an unsupported connection method for MRV since SWM and DECA came on the scene. If I were you, I'd push for a SWM/DECA install and the ICK (internet connection kit). But before they show up, I'd buy myself a router.

I'm 99.9% certain they won't install in a way that you'd have to use wireless for MRV.

Are you certain you don't have a router and that nothing else in your house has wired or wireless internet access at all? Who is your internet provider and what model modem do you have?

Edited by mdavej, 16 August 2010 - 01:45 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   druwhall

druwhall

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:53 PM

I pick up wireless internet in my house. I just don't have a router in my house. My computers and my PS3 pick up a great signal. I stream movies on my PS3 excellent.

#4 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:02 PM

In that case a wireless adapter will work with MRV and OnDemand just like your other wireless devices. You'll have call DirecTV and have them activate MRV on your receivers. MRV is $3/month and OnDemand is free (except for PPV). If they're willing to give you a wireless adapter, that's a great deal since they can run about $100.

BTW, you have some awesome neighbors.

Edited by mdavej, 16 August 2010 - 02:36 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:11 PM

druwhall, it sounds like what you're saying is that you're using someone else's internet. You use wireless adapters in your home to connect to someone else's router. Clearly you've had some success with this, and I make no judgment except to say that I presume the person providing the internet service knows what you're doing, right?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

druwhall, it sounds like what you're saying is that you're using someone else's internet. You use wireless adapters in your home to connect to someone else's router. Clearly you've had some success with this, and I make no judgment except to say that I presume the person providing the internet service knows what you're doing, right?

I could be wrong, but I assumed that he/she is talking about wireless service from one of the mobile phone carriers, such as Verizon, AT&T, etc. If that is the case, I have no idea how MRV would be possible without having the DVRs networked with each other via a router.

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:45 PM

That is also certainly a possibility, via a microcell or 3G adapters.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   camattin

camattin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:56 PM

If the OP's PS3 is picking up the signal w/o an external adapter, then it's almost certain we're talking 802.11x here.

As others have said, I sure hope your neighbor knows about this (and that you have good security on your own equipment).

#9 OFFLINE   capecodsooner

capecodsooner

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:03 PM

And the ISP might become interested if the data xmission usage increases dramatically.

but +1 on the nice neighbors:)
Boston Market
Sony KW-5140HW proj. TV
VIZIO 32" HD
OLEVIA 27" HD
VISCO 37" HD
2 x H20-100
2 x H20-600
Hughes SD reciever - Directors Model
Samsung SD reciever
AU-9 Dish/AT-9 Dish/3LNB w/tripod
Sling Boxes(2)
Whole house prewire CAT5/Dual RG-6/5.1 SS

#10 OFFLINE   Justin85

Justin85

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:28 PM

They won't be so nice once they get a letter from their ISP letting them know they went over the "acceptable" data usage amount!

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:16 AM

I pick up wireless internet in my house. I just don't have a router in my house. My computers and my PS3 pick up a great signal. I stream movies on my PS3 excellent.

Which neighbor are you stealing your Internet from?

#12 OFFLINE   slo_dave

slo_dave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:25 AM

Which neighbor are you stealing your Internet from?

Let's not jump to conclusions. There are several cities now offering free wireless internet. Or he could possibly live next to a coffee shop or fast food joint offering free wifi.
However, unsuspecting neighbor sounds more like it ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...