Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No closed captioning?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:17 PM

My mom is undergoing Chemotherapy, and its really causing her hearing to deteriorate to the point she cannot understand anything on TV.

Her HR20 and HR21 (Kitchen and LR) both have closed captioning, but she asked me to turn it on for her in her bedroom (D11 I think, maybe D12?) SD receiver and 19" TV, and I could find no way to turn it on.

Is there no closed captioning on the SD receivers? If not, would DirecTv upgrade them to one that has CC, without a new contract?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:24 PM

With SD receivers, the CC data is outputted via the analog connections all the time, but you have to turn on the CC feature on the TV set itself to see them.

With HD (which is sourced digitally), closed captioning is encoded differently and the receiver has to decode them.

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

Ok, thanks, Ill check the TV.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

spam firewall