Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Power LNB for single receiver?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wal_ags

wal_ags

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:35 PM

I have a SL3S4NR2-01 lnb on slimline dish. This will only be used at tailgates for a single hd receiver. Can I run a cable straight to the dish or do I need a power inserter?

tia

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   williammck

williammck

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

You have to have a PI. The receiver cannot power the dish by itself. But if the LNB is not SWiM capable, you need to have a SWiM5/SWiM8 or a multiswitch. Btw, the multiswitch does not need to be powered.

#3 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

Welcome to DBSTalk. :welcome_s

That's an SWiM LNB so you need the PI.

You'll need power for the HD receiver. Can you plug the PI in there too?

You could get a non-SWiM LNB and you'll be good to go.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#4 OFFLINE   wal_ags

wal_ags

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

thanks for the quick replies. guess i will go ahead and pickup another power injector for our tailgate setup. 3 weeks till kick off!

#5 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:07 PM

You have to have a PI. The receiver cannot power the dish by itself. But if the LNB is not SWiM capable, you need to have a SWiM5/SWiM8 or a multiswitch. Btw, the multiswitch does not need to be powered.

I'm not sure I undersatand this.

If it is a non-SWiM LNB then you won't need anything else. You can just terminate the unused connections, hook up the receiver, and you're good to go. You don't need any other switches or power cords...unless I'm not understanding what you meant. :scratchin

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#6 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:22 PM

Yeah, I'm as confused as Microbeta... :confused:

The OP is asking about connecting a single receiver to a SWM LNB. In that case the correct advice was given (they would need a PI.)

Should the OP want to hook that same receiver to a legacy LNB then he would NOT need a SWM5/SWM8 or legacy multiswitch. All that's necessary is to connect the receiver directly to the LNB. In this case the receiver DOES power the dish (or more correctly the LNB.)

And yes, if you utilize any kind of SWM switch it NEEDS to be powered.

Edited by dsw2112, 16 August 2010 - 07:29 PM.

SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#7 OFFLINE   williammck

williammck

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:46 PM

Sorry. I thought you needed all outputs from a non-SWiM LNB plugged into a multiswitch/SWM* to make it work. Mistake on my part. ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...