Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Getting the Run Around

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Noyac

Noyac

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:21 PM

Why is DirectTV so hard to deal with? I have had a faulty receiver for over 2 yrs and they can't seem to fix the problem. I lose my HD channels every 2-4 months and when I call, they say they have no record of my issue. Their only solution is to switch the cables in the back of the receiver to see if that helps. It only helps for about 2 months and then the same problem recurs. I am fed up with Direct TV. I can never talk to anyone who has f'in clue what they are doing and the first time I called they stated that they were aware of the problem with my receiver and were working on a fix. Well that was 2 yrs ago and it still sucks. I would not recommend them to my worst enemy. I will have to find another service. :flaiming

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Justin85

Justin85

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:20 PM

It could be a number of issues you are having, but if you feel it is a receiver problem, play the game to get a new one.

The CSR is required to follow a troubleshooting script, and if that script ends with replace equipment, or service call, that is what happens. I'm not telling you to lie, but you are clearly upset, so YOU need to pick the script that ends in your desired solution. I will leave it at that.

#3 OFFLINE   Jeffro

Jeffro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:39 PM

Do you have the protection plan? If you do, call them and tell them about your ongoing problem and that you have switched the cables around and that still doesn't help. Then tell them that you have the protection plan and you would like to use it and exchange your receiver for a different receiver. If you don't have the protection plan, and hopefully you are leaseing the receiver, still tell them about your ongoing problem and that you would like to exchange your receiver for a different receiver. I hope this advice helps you.

#4 OFFLINE   whoray85

whoray85

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:58 AM

if swapping the cables helps for a couple months, then there's probably a cabling problem. Corrosion in the fittings/connectors is my guess.

#5 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:39 AM

Do you have the protection plan? If you do, call them and tell them about your ongoing problem and that you have switched the cables around and that still doesn't help. Then tell them that you have the protection plan and you would like to use it and exchange your receiver for a different receiver. If you don't have the protection plan, and hopefully you are leaseing the receiver, still tell them about your ongoing problem and that you would like to exchange your receiver for a different receiver. I hope this advice helps you.

Having the protection plan has nothing to do with getting defective equipment replaced, only whether or not you pay for the shipping of it.

Noyac, I assume the receiver is leased, yes? If so, call back and tell them it's dead, that it won't even boot up. They should then exchange it for you. Make sure they don't extend your commitment in any way since replacing defective leased equipment has nothing to do with the commitment.

#6 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:19 AM

I think I'd just go ahead and swap the cables without calling them and be good to go for another 2-4 months.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#7 OFFLINE   Noyac

Noyac

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:21 AM

I think I'd just go ahead and swap the cables without calling them and be good to go for another 2-4 months.

The problem with this approach is that when I set the DVR to record something I don't find out till after the fact that the program was not recorded because the issue has recurred.

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:25 AM

Noyac, what is the problem that you're having?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:04 AM

Noyac, I assume the receiver is leased, yes? If so, call back and tell them it's dead, that it won't even boot up. They should then exchange it for you.

Not a good idea since it doesn't sound like a hardware issue. He needs a service call to check out his wiring.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:24 AM

Not a good idea since it doesn't sound like a hardware issue. He needs a service call to check out his wiring.

At the least, it will get him another receiver that might fix the problem. If not, he has lost nothing.

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

At the least, it will get him another receiver that might fix the problem. If not, he has lost nothing.

He's lost time... If they send out a new DVR and that doesn't fix the issue he then has to spend more time on the phone to get a tech to come out. It's best to have them send out a tech the first time to figure out his apparent wiring problem.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,724 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:53 AM

I had similar issues with one of my HR20-700s that affected my wife's DVR and our "local" channels via the D* rebroadcast. (this on my old powered SPAUN 12 port multiswitch).

Holding the center element of the coax to discharge static build up didn't resolve, swapping the BBCs for other units seemed to work for a day or two, but switching ports would fix it absolutely. I was rotating 2 bedrooms and the 2 leads for that DVR back and forth when it would happen.

I noted that the center lead from the coax was longer on these leads than the others and trimmed them accordingly and never had the problem occur again. (this was on the multiswitch end in my case).

I now have that same DVR on a single lead from SWM (same as one of the old multiswitch cables with the other as an in place spare) and no issues.

Check the basics and make sure the fittings are properly secured and that the central line piece is within spec. Also if it's a clad core line (not solid copper) use a magnifier to see if it's copper coating is peeled off in spots. The cable still works but the connection may not properly maintain signal slope for all the channels. Cutting it back and putting a new end on it would fix that one.

Don "your problem may be completely different but this fixed mine" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#13 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:56 AM

I agree your not getting any ware with there system so why not try a receiver swap and even if it doesn't fix the problem
than at least that will eliminate the receiver.

#14 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

Eliminate the receiver as the culprit first, then schedule a service call if necessary.
DTV = Digital Television

#15 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

He's lost time... If they send out a new DVR and that doesn't fix the issue he then has to spend more time on the phone to get a tech to come out. It's best to have them send out a tech the first time to figure out his apparent wiring problem.

Time is money, but then again, all I have is time. It all depends upon your point of view I guess.

#16 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:16 AM

Time is money, but then again, all I have is time. It all depends upon your point of view I guess.

Not to mention if they send out a tech his odds of getting an HR24 are increased, if the unit is the issue. But if he has them send a replacement he gets whatever they send.

Kill 2 birds with one stone and save time, have a tech come out the first time.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#17 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:27 AM

Not to mention if they send out a tech his odds of getting an HR24 are increased, if the unit is the issue. But if he has them send a replacement he gets whatever they send.

You're right. That probably is the best option.
DTV = Digital Television

#18 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:47 AM

Good point! You win. ;)

#19 OFFLINE   Noyac

Noyac

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:01 AM

Yeah but the problem comes and goes. By the time the tech gets here the problem has resolved and the tech will not be able to do anything, am I right?

Stuart Sweet, the problem is that I continue to lose reception on my HD channels (Error 771) and the only thing DirecTV ever says is to swap the cables in the back. That's after 30 minutes on the phone with them getting nowhere at all.

#20 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,917 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

Stuart Sweet, the problem is that I continue to lose reception on my HD channels (Error 771) and the only thing DirecTV ever says is to swap the cables in the back. That's after 30 minutes on the phone with them getting nowhere at all.

There are a number of things (other than the receiver) that can be causing your problem. There are a lot of smart people here, and with some additional information, we can probably help you figure out what the next best step is in pursuing your problem.

The next time you have the problem, check your satellite signal strength readings for all satellites on both tuners. Make a note of what each transponder reads, and post the results. You should put them in a format something like this:
101:
1-8: 95 95 96 0 94 90 95 94
9-16:99 92 90 92 89 91 92 93
etc.
Then list satellite 99c, 99s, 103c, 103s, and if you get them 110 and 119.

It is possible you have more than one problem. Swapping your coax is one step in narrowing down a problem, but it is only one step.

From the information you have provided so far, there is no indication that replacing the DVR will fix your problem. More information is needed to help us give you further suggestions.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...