Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Lousy picture on locals

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ragmopp

ragmopp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:19 AM

I recently moved to Oregon and now receive the Eugene local stations. I have noticed on all of them pixelation that is consistent and terrible. This does NOT happen on any of the 'cable' channels. When I got the Sacramento Ca. locals at my old house I had no problems whatsoever. I checked my signal strength and all three tuners are in the low 90's. My Tivo is (I think a R10 SD). Any ideas why the locals are so bad?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,871 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:24 AM

Sounds to me like the encoders might need some tweaking. If you report the problem in the correct thread for your market here: http://www.dbstalk.c...splay.php?f=154 an engineer might pick up on it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   ragmopp

ragmopp

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:31 AM

Thanks...didn't know I was in the wrong area. However, I went to that link and firstly they state HD locals (I don't have HD), also the Eugene locals does not have a link it is grayed out. ???

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,871 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:36 AM

Ah, I see. Does your area have HD Locals? If so I can add a thread and you can post there even though your issues are SD-only.

#5 OFFLINE   ragmopp

ragmopp

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:52 AM

From what I gather. No HD locals. I could be wrong, but it appears only one of the stations even broadcasts in HD. I guess this market isn't interested, or the stations just don't want to spend the $$$.. Maybe my best bet would be to contact D* and see what they say about the louse reception.

Ironically, there is nothing on the locals that interest me, just the local news...but it sure is frustrating to watch the picture stutter, even on the news...

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,871 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:54 AM

Yes, I would contact them. The next upgrade they would make for your market would be to add HD locals; I'm not sure they'd do much more than maintenance until then.

#7 OFFLINE   ragmopp

ragmopp

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

Thanks...I appreciate your feedback...

#8 OFFLINE   JackBauer112

JackBauer112

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:43 AM

My parents live out near the Tracy Triangle (Manteca) and get the Sacramento, CA locals but also can recieve SF Bay Area locals OTA. I live out near Paso Robles and although I'm near Camp Roberts, I get the SLO/Santa Barbara stations with HD locals though I could have gotten Salinas/Monterey, but I get one station out of Salinas/Monterey OTA The NBC station there. BTW, where did you use to live before you moved out to Eugene?

#9 OFFLINE   ragmopp

ragmopp

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:55 PM

Lived in Blairsden (Highway 70 in the Sierras)...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...