Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Possibly new to Directv

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DAVID A JOHNSON

DAVID A JOHNSON

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

Folks,

I've been a Dish Network customer for 10 years. I just upgraded to the Vip922, and I've signed a 2 year commitment, but I'm very frustrated and unhappy with my current experience and fees / programming charges, etc.

Maybe you can help me to understand Directv better.

Here's what I currently have with Dish Network. Receivers and programming.

America's Everything Pack
Multi-Sport Package
Atlanta, GA Locals
HD Platinum
Vip 922
Vip 722
Vip 622 X 2
Vip 222 X 2
6 Total Receivers
Total Fees = Right at $200/month including a whopping $75 in extra receiver and DVR fees.

My parents live with me, and what I'd like to have are 2 independent DVR's that can be accessed from anywhere in the house.

Also important to me is OTA access. Does Directv allow the OTA signal to be passed through the receiver like Dish Network? From the website, I see that there's a produce to do this, but I can't find any price information.

I'm looking for a lot of help here, I know, but I'm getting greatly upsed at Dish Network.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

David

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,636 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:41 PM

With DIRECTV you can have as many DVRs as you want, in fact as many receivers as you want. All of them can see each other and so any room can get programming from any other room.

Any receiver that you want to use with OTA will require the AM21. This integrates the OTA data right into the guide and it looks and acts just like satellite-fed data.

As far as billing, you pay $6 or so for each receiver and a single fee for HD Access (might be waived as part of a promotion) and a single fee for as many DVRs as you want.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   DAVID A JOHNSON

DAVID A JOHNSON

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:50 PM

I know with Dish Network receivers, you have to have them plugged directly into the wall and not through a UPS so they can see each other. Is this required with Directv? Do you know of a retailer in the Atlanta, GA area that you'd recommend? I've got a pretty difficult setup in my house. I'm pretty advanced with Dish Network. Directv will take some getting used too. You willing to help a potentially new member to the world of Directv?

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,636 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:59 PM

No, you can use a UPS if you want, no problem.

I don't know anyone in Atlanta, I'm a West Coaster myself. But honestly most people just call 1-800-DIRECTV. I'll tell you, the install experience isn't always the best, but they're working on that. Just make sure when you call to order you mention you want

-Multi-room viewing (also called Whole-Home DVR)
-You want your receivers connected to the internet (they do this through a single coax-to-ethernet adapter at your router, this gives internet to all your receivers)

and there can be some negotiation involved as far as free equipment and services. If you're a haggler, don't be afraid to try.

You can post their offer here and the kind and generous members will happily critique it. When you do sign up, we can help you with installation questions and post-install support.

Personally I think this is a great site (sure we've got a bad apple or two but most of them are moderators :lol:) and we try real hard to help.

#5 OFFLINE   DAVID A JOHNSON

DAVID A JOHNSON

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

Hmmmm choices choices choices. Life is full of choices. I've emailed Dish Network to see if they can lessen my burden somewhat. I'm really unhappy with the 922's clunky behavior. It's been quite annoying. Has it happened before that Directv has agreed to pay the cancellation fee for Dish Network, or at least make other concessions. Is it CSR roulette over there just like at Dish Network?

#6 OFFLINE   DAVID A JOHNSON

DAVID A JOHNSON

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

Another question. Do the Directv receivers offer picture-in-picture like the Dish Network receivers? I rarely use this, but it would be nice for football season.

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,636 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

The DIRECTV receivers don't have PIP, sadly. You can dual-buffer (DIRECTV calls it DoublePlay and it is not on by default) but you can only output one video stream from the receiver to the TV.

I've never heard of DIRECTV offering to pay the ETF for Dish, but they can offer discounts that might amount to the same.

#8 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:20 PM

The DIRECTV receivers don't have PIP, sadly. You can dual-buffer (DIRECTV calls it DoublePlay and it is not on by default) but you can only output one video stream from the receiver to the TV.

I've never heard of DIRECTV offering to pay the ETF for Dish, but they can offer discounts that might amount to the same.

Do any companies still pay ETFs?

#9 OFFLINE   Blaze

Blaze

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:37 PM

Any receiver that you want to use with OTA will require the AM21. This integrates the OTA data right into the guide and it looks and acts just like satellite-fed data.

You could do that, however can you just use the Coax on the back of the HDTV for (OTA) and HD for HDMI?

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,516 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:38 PM

You could do that, however can you just use the Coax on the back of the HDTV for (OTA) and HD for HDMI?

:confused:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   Blaze

Blaze

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

:confused:

Sigma , you know on the back of your HDTV where you have the Coax input, can you use that for OTA and when you want to use HD use HDMI without using the AM21?

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,888 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:45 PM

Do any companies still pay ETFs?

My phone company offered to get me to leave DirecTV. Yet it's because of my phone company that I get a monthly discount on DirecTV service.

To the OP: You can get a discount if you're a AAA member, if you know someone with DirecTV and do a referral (they get a credit as well), or a few more options. With the AAA or referral, be careful, it only works if you call the right phone number.

#13 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,516 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:47 PM

Sigma , you know on the back of your HDTV where you have the Coax input, can you use that for OTA and when you want to use HD use HDMI without using the AM21?

Yeah, but what would be the point? If you want to switch inputs every time you want to watch OTA, then go ahead...it makes no sense since the AM21 integrates OTA to your DVR or HD receiver.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#14 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:55 PM

DAVID, let me kindly disagree with Mr. Sweet here. He is absolutely right that most people just call 1(800) DIRECTV. Not only is that the place to get the best price, they certainly have people that can do the job. But when I did my house, I wanted it done my way. I hired a local company with which I'd previously had excellent experiences to sell to me and install my system. I got the same price on the gear but the install was no longer free. Fine, that's exactly what I didn't want: a free install. I've seen free installs.

I think one of the regulars here is an installer in Georgia, if not Atlanta. Let's see if he shows up in this thread.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#15 OFFLINE   DAVID A JOHNSON

DAVID A JOHNSON

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

I am certainly open to suggestions. I just want to beat the crap out of my Dish Network Deal after the promo period with ST ends. I think with the premium everything package + HD + 7 total receivers, I should be at around $170/month. That's $30 less than I pay Dish for the same channels, roughly the same (gain some lose some, but I get ESPNU in HD).

#16 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:04 PM

Get it in writing. DirecTV is better at hidden charges than Delta Airlines, and that's saying a lot.

One charge that hasn't been mentioned: Whole House DVR costs $3 a month.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#17 OFFLINE   Blaze

Blaze

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:06 PM

Yeah, but what would be the point? If you want to switch inputs every time you want to watch OTA, then go ahead...it makes no sense since the AM21 integrates OTA to your DVR or HD receiver.

The point would be is not to have the AM21, just shut off your receiver like i do now to watch OTA,Just turn it back on for DTV.

#18 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,768 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:24 PM

The point would be is not to have the AM21, just shut off your receiver like i do now to watch OTA,Just turn it back on for DTV.

Unless you're physically unplugging the power cord the box is always on, when you 'shut off your receiver' really all it's doing is turning off the outputs and the front panel lights.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#19 OFFLINE   mstanka

mstanka

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:37 PM

What if you want to record from those channels?
This is the reason that I have an OTA Am21. (Grated the only channel on on Directv in my area in HD is MyTV30).

Just my opinion.

Michael.

#20 OFFLINE   DAVID A JOHNSON

DAVID A JOHNSON

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:44 PM

I called Directv. They did NOT even try to haggle with me. I told them I've been a Dish customer for 10 years and was looking to change. Here's what they told me for equipment. I wanted 2 HDDVR's and 5 other HD receivers and 2 AM21's. That's going to cost me $199 for the extra HDDVR and $99 for each of 4 HD receivers and $50 for each of 2 AM21's. That a whopping $700 (rounded) in just equipment charges. WOW. That's even worse than Dish. They wouldn't haggle at all. Any suggesions? I'd love to switch, but not for that much. Now, they are saving me $275 in programming fees for 5 months with the promotion. So, that's $425 net. But, I have to pay $240 in ETF to Dish (I guess that's my own fault).

Also, the 1800 number guy told me that if I get 2 HDDVR's, the whole house thingy can only see one of them. I thought I had read threads that you could record and watch any of the 2 DVRs that you choose. Which is correct on the MRV concept. Talk to me guys. I'm close, but I've got some sticker shock here.

Thanks much!!!

spam firewall