Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Possibly new to Directv

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Blaze

Blaze

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:17 PM

What if you want to record from those channels?
This is the reason that I have an OTA Am21. (Grated the only channel on on Directv in my area in HD is MyTV30).

Just my opinion.

Michael.

True,that's if you have the DVR.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

I called Directv. They did NOT even try to haggle with me. I told them I've been a Dish customer for 10 years and was looking to change. Here's what they told me for equipment. I wanted 2 HDDVR's and 5 other HD receivers and 2 AM21's. That's going to cost me $199 for the extra HDDVR and $99 for each of 4 HD receivers and $50 for each of 2 AM21's. That a whopping $700 (rounded) in just equipment charges. WOW. That's even worse than Dish. They wouldn't haggle at all. Any suggesions? I'd love to switch, but not for that much. Now, they are saving me $275 in programming fees for 5 months with the promotion. So, that's $425 net. But, I have to pay $240 in ETF to Dish (I guess that's my own fault).

Also, the 1800 number guy told me that if I get 2 HDDVR's, the whole house thingy can only see one of them. I thought I had read threads that you could record and watch any of the 2 DVRs that you choose. Which is correct on the MRV concept. Talk to me guys. I'm close, but I've got some sticker shock here.

Thanks much!!!

Go on ebay or craigslist and you can buy your own receivers for less. Thats what I did for one of them. (The one I bring to tailgate with)

Edited by Kevin F, 17 August 2010 - 08:45 PM.
My tiredness at this time of night got the best of my typing abilities. Sorry for any typos. I tried to correct them...

#23 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

Also, the 1800 number guy told me that if I get 2 HDDVR's, the whole house thingy can only see one of them. I thought I had read threads that you could record and watch any of the 2 DVRs that you choose. Which is correct on the MRV concept. Talk to me guys. I'm close, but I've got some sticker shock here.

Thanks much!!!

Any of your HD-capable receivers (HD-DVRs and HD receivers) can view programming from either HD-DVR. However, each HD-DVR can only serve one stream at a time (plus the primary output to the TV connected to it), so, for example, only 2 of your H24s could be watching recorded shows from the HR24s at any given time, while you simultaneously watch recorded shows on the HR24's themselves, plus you could be recording two more shows on each HD-DVR.

#24 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:52 AM

The max numbers of DVR's that can be seen by the MRV network is 10. However until engineering fixes the display page only 5 actually show up. (There is no way to scroll down).

The CSR must have been confused.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#25 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:11 AM

The max numbers of DVR's that can be seen by the MRV network is 10. However until engineering fixes the display page only 5 actually show up. (There is no way to scroll down).

The CSR must have been confused.

A CSR confused?

#26 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:17 AM

DAVID, let me kindly disagree with Mr. Sweet here. He is absolutely right that most people just call 1(800) DIRECTV. Not only is that the place to get the best price, they certainly have people that can do the job. But when I did my house, I wanted it done my way. I hired a local company with which I'd previously had excellent experiences to sell to me and install my system. I got the same price on the gear but the install was no longer free. Fine, that's exactly what I didn't want: a free install. I've seen free installs.

I think one of the regulars here is an installer in Georgia, if not Atlanta. Let's see if he shows up in this thread.

Mr. Spock has a point. (No pun intended.) A local installer may be more willing to work with your specific needs.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#27 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:25 AM

If you buy your own HD receivers, don't buy a H20.. They don't have a network jack to see the DVRs.
my setup here

#28 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,919 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:10 AM

Go on ebay or craigslist and you can buy your own receivers for less. Thats what I did for one of them. (The one I bring to tailgate with)

A few words of caution with regard to this suggestion.
1. If you do try to purchase like this, get the receiver ID number (RID) and verify with DirecTV that the receiver is owned and not associated with an account in arrears. Otherwise you won't be able to activate it.
2. Leased receivers (that you get from DirecTV) are replaced for cost of shipping. Owned receivers have no such protection unless you pay for the additional equipment protection plan.
3. You will be responsible for installation of any owned receivers.
4. As noted above, the H20 receiver does not support MRV/whole home, as it has no network connection.

#29 OFFLINE   sarcasmo

sarcasmo

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

Any of your HD-capable receivers (HD-DVRs and HD receivers) can view programming from either HD-DVR. However, each HD-DVR can only serve one stream at a time (plus the primary output to the TV connected to it), so, for example, only 2 of your H24s could be watching recorded shows from the HR24s at any given time, while you simultaneously watch recorded shows on the HR24's themselves, plus you could be recording two more shows on each HD-DVR.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have an installation scheduled for Friday that I was thinking of cancelling based on some misinformation spread by my CSR. I was told the same thing, MVR could only handle one DVR. If I added a second it would be "tethered" to only one of my HD receivers (HD DVR 1 tied to TV3, and HD DVR tied to TV 4. TV 4 cannot see HD DVR 1, etc.). Sounds like this is not the case I can add a second DVR accessible by all non-DVR receivers.

I'm still confused regarding how many shows I can record at once and how many I can watch at once. If I stick with my current setup (1 HD DVR and 3 HD receivers) are you saying I can only watch one recorded program at a time on only one of the non-DVR receivers plus one program on the TV connected to the HD DVR?

How many streams can I record at once? Can all four TVs record a program at the same time (like U-Verse advertises)?

Also, my CSR said I could pause live TV on my non-DVR receivers. Is this true? Reading through your forums it seems like this is not the case. Only TVs connected to a HD DVR have this capability.

So if I add a second HD DVR, each TV can watch a recorded show at the same time, correct (each HD DVR sending out 2 recordings, one local, one to a non-DVR)? Hopefully that all makes sense. TIA!

#30 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:18 AM

You can record two programs, per DVR, at once. You can have up to 10 DVRs in a multiroom setup (although using more than 5 creates issues.)

You can watch one program on a remote receiver, plus a different program (live or recorded) on the DVR. You can buffer two different live sources at the same time on the DVR.

You can't really pause live TV on a non-DVR. You can set the program to record on the DVR as it's on live, then pause the playback of that recording on the non-DVR.

If you have two DVRs, each can serve a different program to a different receiver, but both receivers cannot pull a different program from the same DVR. Basically one remote stream at a time.

#31 OFFLINE   sarcasmo

sarcasmo

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:30 AM

You can record two programs, per DVR, at once. You can have up to 10 DVRs in a multiroom setup (although using more than 5 creates issues.)

You can watch one program on a remote receiver, plus a different program (live or recorded) on the DVR. You can buffer two different live sources at the same time on the DVR.

You can't really pause live TV on a non-DVR. You can set the program to record on the DVR as it's on live, then pause the playback of that recording on the non-DVR.

If you have two DVRs, each can serve a different program to a different receiver, but both receivers cannot pull a different program from the same DVR. Basically one remote stream at a time.

Great, thanks. Sounds similar to our Comcast DVRs except that more than one TV can use it. I can watch live TV and record one channel -or- record two channels, but have to watch one of them. Can I watch On Demand when my DVR is at full capacity?

To pause "live" tv on my non-DVRs, would I have to physically choose to record it or is there a setting to buffer live TV if the DVR has capacity (i.e. hasn't hit it's max simultaneous recordings).

Might have to give DirecTV a call and talk them into upgrading my first HD receiver to an HD DVR for free due to CSR misleading me. :P

#32 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,101 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:37 AM

Also important to me is OTA access. Does Directv allow the OTA signal to be passed through the receiver like Dish Network?

The AM21 only passes OTA to one receiver/DVR. If you also want to connect the antenna to the TV so the TV's tuner can receive the signal, you'll need a splitter for that.

Also, DIRECTVs DVRs cannot record a third program using the OTA tuner. Assuming both tuners in the DVR are receiving a signal, the max number of simultaneous recordings per DVR is 2.

If you need to record more than 4 programs at once, you'll need a third DVR.

#33 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

Great, thanks. Sounds similar to our Comcast DVRs except that more than one TV can use it. I can watch live TV and record one channel -or- record two channels, but have to watch one of them. Can I watch On Demand when my DVR is at full capacity?

I think you need 5% free to watch On Demand. But you can pull an On Demand program while recording two things off the satellite. But you get about 100 hours of HD capacity, unlike most cable company DVRs.

To pause "live" tv on my non-DVRs, would I have to physically choose to record it or is there a setting to buffer live TV if the DVR has capacity (i.e. hasn't hit it's max simultaneous recordings).

The DVR is always buffering live TV, but the non-DVR is not. To pause live on the non-DVR you have to be recording the program you're watching.

#34 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:51 AM

Another word of warning about the ebay/craigslist suggestion - I don't know if DirecTV will set up a new account with previously owned equipment. I'm not sure how they are about mixed equipment - i.e., if you get some equipment from them and some from a private party, the installation related to the private equipment may cost you extra, too.

Others may have more definitive information on this, but if you get, for example, an HD DVR and an HD receiver from DirecTV, but have another HD DVR and a couple of extra HD receivers sitting there for the tech to install when he gets there, he may refuse to install the extra equipment, or may wind up charging extra for the installation.

I now defer to people more knowlegable than I on this subject...

#35 OFFLINE   sarcasmo

sarcasmo

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:10 PM

I think you need 5% free to watch On Demand. But you can pull an On Demand program while recording two things off the satellite. But you get about 100 hours of HD capacity, unlike most cable company DVRs.

The DVR is always buffering live TV, but the non-DVR is not. To pause live on the non-DVR you have to be recording the program you're watching.

Sorry, by "at full capcity" I meant recording two programs, but you did answer that as well. Thanks again!

#36 OFFLINE   DAVID A JOHNSON

DAVID A JOHNSON

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:32 PM

Thanks folks. You've all been great. I think I'm going to go to Costco and see what kind of deal they can strike for me. Sounds like they will be cheaper and you get the Costco gift card. I called Dish this morning about my issues with the 922, receiver fees, and missing ESPN HD channels. They did nothing to help me out. I do have the $240 ETF, but I can live with paying that if I get a big price break over the first few months with the Premier and ST. Thanks again. Any more suggestions.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...