Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Netflix on iPad

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:19 PM

Now that I'm a happy new owner of an iPad... I'm looking into things that I didn't have interest in before.

I can live without renting movies on disc, though I'd view it as a "perk" and pick some movies in a queue anyway since I'd be paying for the service... but of most interest would be using the free iPad app and streaming content immediately to my new iPad.

Anyone have any recent experience with this? Is the app relatively stable? Is there a decent selection of TV shows (recent or old) available for streaming via Netflix?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:04 AM

The Netflix streaming app for the iPad works well, it's basically just like the website. They have pretty good TV content, but it's not necessarily that recent. But, it's complete. Usually, you'll find entire seasons of a show, but not necessarily a show that aired last night. Depends on what show and how Netflix must have worked out a contract with the content owners.

The app is free, so download it. If you already have a netflix account, it won't cost you anything to start streaming. Netflix also just signed a deal with Epix that starts Sept 1, that will bring a bunch more streaming titles (things like the entire indiana jones series, star trek, and more)
Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:15 AM

Thanks for the info..

I was wondering if their streaming content was essentially limited to things already released on DVD, as opposed to current TV shows that aren't yet released.

There are some older shows I haven't seen and don't own on DVD... so that would still be a good thing.

I was tempted to try the free 1 month trial... but I kind of wanted to solicit some feedback first so I had a better idea of what to expect before diving in.

#4 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:54 PM

There are several shows that are day after broadcast, just most are not. Some TV shows aren't available on streaming at all, but those you can still get the DVD for, which kind of makes up for it.

Overall, for $9/month, it's a great deal. When Epix comes on line on Sept 1, it will be even better. And with the free start, it's easy to try out.
Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#5 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:31 PM

I use the Netflix streaming app all the time when I'm walking on the treadmill. It works great and the PQ is very good.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:16 PM

I am being tempted... I never cared (still don't really) for watching things on my computer when I can watch on my big TV... but I can take the iPad with me to places where my TV isn't... and then it becomes nice to think about watching stuff on that.

#7 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:48 PM

netflix streaming accounts for over half of our TV watching @ home. I say you should definitely try it; after you get hooked, you can get yourself a roku box or HTPC hooked to the big tv.

#8 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:21 PM

Stewart, I use and love the Netfix app for iPad. If you got the 3G model you will find it works good there too.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...