Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

3D Backlash Begins...

interstate 40

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,028 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:47 PM

Because I was buying a new plasma anyway this spring (and going top of the line) I wound up with a 3D-capable Panasonic and a couple of sets of glasses. I hated the world Cup in 3D and quickly switched to the regular coverage for games I cared about. Ditto for the All-Star game, where they had too few 3D cameras to adequately cover the game, and the announcers were pitching 3D so hard it was like a SNL satire. After a couple of forgettable 3D movies, the glasses went back in their cases and have been gathering dust ever since.

The best thing about 3D BluRays is that they play beautifully in 2D.

We should start a pool on how long it will be before DirecTv drops their 3D channels.

Was it just because you didn't like the content or was it a technical reason that you've stopped using 3D?

I do agree with the comment about 3D coverage not being up to par with the 2D coverage. Having two seperate feeds/crews is exactly what happened when HD first started rolling out, lack of cameras and the D announcing crew. I think we're still in the demo period for 3D and hope in the coming months things will pick up on the content side.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:07 PM

Because I was buying a new plasma anyway this spring (and going top of the line) I wound up with a 3D-capable Panasonic and a couple of sets of glasses. I hated the world Cup in 3D and quickly switched to the regular coverage for games I cared about. Ditto for the All-Star game, where they had too few 3D cameras to adequately cover the game, and the announcers were pitching 3D so hard it was like a SNL satire. After a couple of forgettable 3D movies, the glasses went back in their cases and have been gathering dust ever since.

The best thing about 3D BluRays is that they play beautifully in 2D.

We should start a pool on how long it will be before DirecTv drops their 3D channels.

3 months from today.

#23 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,204 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:36 PM

December 31, 2011

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#24 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

I have no clue what Cowboys & Aliens is, but I want to see it just because they remain true to their craft using film. It's nice to know that Hollywood still knows what's king. :D

Yeah, I know, I know, digital is great. Tape is cheap, SSD is the ultimate in non-lineararity, all that stuff but you'll never match that perfect natural "something" that film provides.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

Protected By... spam firewall...And...