Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Autocorrect for power failure?

tcm

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rsteinfe

rsteinfe

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

We were away from home for 10 days, and returned to flashing digital clocks. Apparently there was a power failure while we were away.

I checked my list of recorded programs, and one looked unusual. I had 3 copies of the same episode of "Rizolli & Isles." When I looked more closely, I found that the first recording was of the initial 25 minutes, the second was the final 17 minutes. The third was the complete episode from the midnight showing. (I had set the 10 PM showing to record.)

Seems like my HR20-100 recognized that there was an interruption in the 10 PM recording, and recorded the midnight showing. Never saw this happen before. Is this a new feature, or have I missed it in the past?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

I've seen it break them up, but not record a third full. Thats pretty cool, if thats what happened.

I'm a nut, and have mine on battery backups :D
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#3 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:27 PM

We were away from home for 10 days, and returned to flashing digital clocks. Apparently there was a power failure while we were away.

I checked my list of recorded programs, and one looked unusual. I had 3 copies of the same episode of "Rizolli & Isles." When I looked more closely, I found that the first recording was of the initial 25 minutes, the second was the final 17 minutes. The third was the complete episode from the midnight showing. (I had set the 10 PM showing to record.)

Seems like my HR20-100 recognized that there was an interruption in the 10 PM recording, and recorded the midnight showing. Never saw this happen before. Is this a new feature, or have I missed it in the past?

They need to add auto bump as well so if the tuner are in use but the same show is on like 2-3 H later recode that one.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#4 ONLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:35 PM

It does do that. If you set your Series Manager up properly.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#5 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:41 PM

They need to add auto bump as well so if the tuner are in use but the same show is on like 2-3 H later recode that one.

It will do that. Just make sure you put the one that plays later as a lower priority, and it will record the later showing.

Edit: Oops, didn't see that it was answered already.
DogLover

My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   VARTV

VARTV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA, USA

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:50 AM

I'm a nut, and have mine on battery backups :D

Our HT has a UPS too. Just last week the power went out for about 20 seconds, we just continued watching TV. With no UPS, we would have to wait for the STB to power cycle back up...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

With DirecTV since October 2004. My complete setup on 1/1/2013...

#7 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:06 AM

Similar thing happened to me this weekend. Returned home to all blinking clocks, etc. Power apparently had been lost for about 13 hours. The HR20-700 was fine. The HR22-100 would not properly boot up. I had to run through the initial setup (telling the unit what sat dish I had, etc.). Had never had to do that before after other power outages.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#8 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:34 AM

My guess is that since the 10 PM showing had been interrupted and continued once power was restored that the reason the later showing recorded was that the program guide had flushed when the unit rebooted and was still rebuilding at midnight and that the program information was still at the 'No information available' stage. As such, it didn't recognize that it had already been recorded.

The DVR doesn't have the logic built in to record a full program showing later because the original had not recorded in it's entirety. ;)

#9 OFFLINE   rsteinfe

rsteinfe

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:58 AM

My guess is that since the 10 PM showing had been interrupted and continued once power was restored that the reason the later showing recorded was that the program guide had flushed when the unit rebooted and was still rebuilding at midnight and that the program information was still at the 'No information available' stage. As such, it didn't recognize that it had already been recorded.

The DVR doesn't have the logic built in to record a full program showing later because the original had not recorded in it's entirety. ;)

That makes sense to me. I thought that this would be a great new feature, but was suspicious since I would expect lots of bragging about this ability if it did exist.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...