Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

new install saturday- think I have line of sight?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nick1817

nick1817

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

This is facing south(ish)

Edited by nick1817, 27 August 2010 - 07:34 AM.
removed large(ish) pic

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   slls

slls

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:22 PM

Hard to telling pix, do you own a chain saw?

#3 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

Put your info into dishpointer.com and there is a tool you can use to check. It will tell you how tall something has to be before it becomes an issue.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#4 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:26 PM

If it works this year, next year maybe different. Keep that chain saw handy!:D

#5 OFFLINE   TwoPhases

TwoPhases

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:38 PM

Looks like you have LOS if you install the dish in the front fascia area of your home. Better yet, pole mount it around the grass area in the front. Your elevation setting there is pretty steep so your dish should be able to look above those trees. Good luck.

#6 OFFLINE   nick1817

nick1817

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:42 PM

I'll find out one way or another Saturday...haven't had direct in 4 years (apartment), would love to get it back. I left right when the HR-20 came out. What box will they (likely) bring me Saturday? I ordered the whole home DVR thing

comcast boxes/service sucks.

#7 OFFLINE   seamonkeys1

seamonkeys1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:57 PM

Could be any of the H2x dvrs. Let us know what you get. I made a note in the install place and will see on Tuesday.

Thank You

#8 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:35 PM

Try for HR24s and H24s if the installer has them.

#9 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:49 PM

You're significantly further south than I am (which is good for you, as the satellite is higher in the sky), and I had a pretty similiar looking situation. It caused me to delay a year in going to D* as I thought it likely I *wouldn't* have LoS. . .and I was still hoping Comcast would get off their rear one day soon (they didn't).

So the next year I waited for peak foliage, determined D* would give me my money back if they determined there was no LoS when they came out to do the install. . . . and it turned out I do have LoS from the peak of the roof, and even a goodly amount of degrees clearance.

The bigger the roof area the more options it gives them.

Good luck.

#10 OFFLINE   Blaze

Blaze

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:35 PM

Put your info into dishpointer.com and there is a tool you can use to check. It will tell you how tall something has to be before it becomes an issue.

If i would go by Dishpointer i wouldn't have no signal but i get 98%.

#11 OFFLINE   nick1817

nick1817

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

They called about 9AM and cancelled my appointment- equipment never came in...

I called Direct to ask about two charges they have on my card for $35~, and was not able to get an answer. I was told by the guy who signed me up my card was only to be charged IF the guy came out and installed and those charges would be some miniscule state tax fees- not for equipment or the install.

The CS person on Saturday hung up on me eventually, all I could get from him is it was a service charge...for the convinence of processing my order for service.

#12 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,307 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:43 PM

They called about 9AM and cancelled my appointment- equipment never came in...

I called Direct to ask about two charges they have on my card for $35~, and was not able to get an answer. I was told by the guy who signed me up my card was only to be charged IF the guy came out and installed and those charges would be some miniscule state tax fees- not for equipment or the install.

The CS person on Saturday hung up on me eventually, all I could get from him is it was a service charge...for the convinence of processing my order for service.

Sounds like a pretty lame explanation to me. Cancel by supplier for lack of equipment should result in absolutely no charge.

Bill
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#13 OFFLINE   nick1817

nick1817

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

Guys here, and says I'm barely gonna get it. 10 degrees variance and I'm on 10

#14 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:52 PM

Cool, what boxes are you getting?
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#15 OFFLINE   nick1817

nick1817

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:06 PM

I got the new multiroom dvr. Sharp looking box. Much smaller than the one I had years ago (hr20?)

CSR screwed me though. Told me I didn't need another hd dvr, I could record more than two shows without it... So I'll be ordering another hd dvr but happy so far. Picture quality is noticeably better than comcast

Edited by nick1817, 27 August 2010 - 07:34 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   nick1817

nick1817

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:39 AM

Couple of questions:

*I can't edit/update original thread title?

* I have the whole home DVR- one HD DVR (where do I find model?) and a HD receiver. The installer said while the HDDVR is hooked up to the internet, the boxes can't "talk" to each other, and to unplug it after 24 hours. I unplugged the internet, but the boxes still won't "see" each other. Both have been named. Main box is set to share everything. Thoughts?

*I belive there's a thread on the no whole home DVR/no on-demand in here? Is the on demand even worth bothering with?

*How much is the second HD DVR going to run? Any chance I get it for free?

*What the hell do I do with the HD Tivo I have now? It doesn't work with D*. Ebay? Paperweight?

edit

*Can i use the Tivo wireless adapter for the HD receiver in the back room? Will this allow on demand on the rear box? Any point in networking it?

Edited by nick1817, 27 August 2010 - 07:53 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:02 AM

Couple of questions:

*I can't edit/update original thread title?

* I have the whole home DVR- one HD DVR (where do I find model?) and a HD receiver. The installer said while the HDDVR is hooked up to the internet, the boxes can't "talk" to each other, and to unplug it after 24 hours. I unplugged the internet, but the boxes still won't "see" each other. Both have been named. Main box is set to share everything. Thoughts?

*I belive there's a thread on the no whole home DVR/no on-demand in here? Is the on demand even worth bothering with?

*How much is the second HD DVR going to run? Any chance I get it for free?

*What the hell do I do with the HD Tivo I have now? It doesn't work with D*. Ebay? Paperweight?

edit

*Can i use the Tivo wireless adapter for the HD receiver in the back room? Will this allow on demand on the rear box? Any point in networking it?

Flip the door on the front where the access card is to see what kind of model you have. You can also hold the 'info' button down on your remote for a few seconds and it will show on the screen.
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#18 OFFLINE   nick1817

nick1817

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:52 AM

HR24-500 and a 24-500

The still won't "see" each other for whole home DVR.

edit:

Looks like the are on 0x4....something software, which might be the deal. I glanced at the H24 and it was on 0x3...is there a way to force it to upate? I did a soft reset

#19 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:04 PM

With Hx24 series, they use their internal decas. Plugging in an ethernet cable to either of them will disable it, thus the boxes won't see each other.

So, you will need to disconnect the ethernet cable and re-run the sat setup to re-enable the internal deca.

If you wish to have them connected to the internet, you will need to have them install a Broadband DECA aka Internet Connection Kit (ICK).

So, right now you can either have MRV or DOD, but not both without going into unsupported territory and using all ethernet.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#20 OFFLINE   nick1817

nick1817

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:11 PM

installer made it sound as though once the guide data was done downloading on the HR24 (via internet), I could just unplug it permanently and the WHDVR would work. So, not only do I need to permanently remove the connection, I should hard restart (red button?); or soft reset (via guide)?

Is the ICK worth investing in- ie is the on demand service worth the added costs/wires/headache, etc? (obviously a subjective answer, but still...)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...