Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

College student wanting TV!!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CPN706

CPN706

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:47 PM

Hey I have been out on my own for almost 2 years now and I don't think I will be able to make it through this year without TV.. especially ESPN with football season coming up and all lol

My biggest concern about getting TV on my own is the darn contracts involved with them, 2 years might not sound like a long time but for me so much can happen in 2 years, I just dont feel safe in getting a contract.

Considering im extremely strapped on cash, Direct TV apparently has a deal where I only have to pay 34-40 bucks for 12 months depending on if I want Choice or Choice xtra. after the 12 months it will go back to regular pricing.

I was wondering if I cancel during the 12 months or after the 12 months will I be charged an outrageous cancellation fee. I know Dish has a 24 month agreement on all their packages..

I dont want anything special.. I just want to watch ESPN... thats all I ask for really and mabe a few other channels here and there.

Any help would be gladly apreciated, thank you.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:56 PM

It's a $20/month penalty for canceling early.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:59 PM

Any of the standard deals come with a 2-year commitment.

But, if you talk to DirecTV, and let them know you need a no-commitment plan, they have plans where you own the receivers and have no commitment. It's really a great deal, and though you pay up-front, you eliminate the commitment. And since you own the HD-DVR, you could sell it and recoup some money if you have to leave DirecTV later.

Likely you'll have to play a bit of CSR Roulette to get one who even knows about these deals (intended for folks with some cash to spend but horrible credit), but they are available.

• Customer can purchase equipment if:
  • Don't want to or can't provide a credit card number at point of sale.
  • Don't want to or can't provide a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN).
  • Prefer to own equipment and not lease it from DIRECTV.
Price/Credit:
  • Select only 1 of following equipment options: (Sales tax applies.)
    • 2 Standard Receivers:
      • $149 plus $50 activation.
    • 1 DVR and 1 Standard Receiver:
      • $249 plus $50activation.
      • AK/HI customers receive HD receiver instead of standard.
      • No additional cost.
  • 1 HD Receiver and 1 Standard Receiver:
    • $249 plus $50 activation.
  • 1 HD-DVR and 1 Standard Receiver:
    • $249 plus $50 activation.

#4 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 352 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:38 AM

I thought standard receivers only came with a 1 year commitment, even for new customers.

#5 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:24 AM

I thought standard receivers only came with a 1 year commitment, even for new customers.

That use to be the case a few years ago I think until 2007 or so, then it became an 18 month agreement for standard in 2008 or so, now its 24 months regardless if standard or advanced.

#6 OFFLINE   markfp

markfp

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:08 PM

I hate to say it, but with the OP's limited resources and desire not to have a two-year commitment, he might just be better going with cable. At least around here, they always have a couple of pretty cheap new customer offers without a commitment.

#7 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:12 PM

I hate to say it, but with the OP's limited resources and desire not to have a two-year commitment, he might just be better going with cable. At least around here, they always have a couple of pretty cheap new customer offers without a commitment.

Or just use the services from ESPN.COM and NFL.COM -- might be cheaper in the long run.

#8 OFFLINE   doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:50 PM

I think the best answer is putting a Slingbox in your folks place if that's possible.

5 - HR22-100 4 via regular ethernet, 1 via DECA, 2 HR21-700 networked via regular ethernet, HR21-100 networked via DECA, H25-500
R15-500 Inactive, H20-600 (ECO 2.0) inactive,D11 (Humax LD2060) inactive
Slimline 5 w/ SWM8 parallel w/ SWM16 w/DECA

#9 OFFLINE   caaarlo

caaarlo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

If you are on campus and going over a school network, you should be able to access ESPN3.com, perhaps it might be enough for you.

#10 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:00 PM

But, if you talk to DirecTV, and let them know you need a no-commitment plan, they have plans where you own the receivers and have no commitment. It's really a great deal, and though you pay up-front, you eliminate the commitment. And since you own the HD-DVR, you could sell it and recoup some money if you have to leave DirecTV later.

Many posters here have said that DirecTV will not activate a new account without a commitment. Do you know of anyone who actually did subscribe to DirecTV (as a new customer) without a commitment?

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#11 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:03 PM

Many posters here have said that DirecTV will not activate a new account without a commitment. Do you know of anyone who actually did subscribe to DirecTV (as a new customer) without a commitment?

Over on "the other site," one of the major contributors there said they were able to sign their grandma up with owned equipment on a new, non committed account.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#12 OFFLINE   CPN706

CPN706

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:37 PM

Thanks guys, alot of help here. Forget cable, those guys charge so much around here its ridiculous.

I am thinking about just going ahead and signing up for a 24 month commitment... Oh well hopefully ill make it through the next 2 years without ending up with bad credit lol.

I think the best answer is putting a Slingbox in your folks place if that's possible.

I use to be really big into FTA and stuff but those days are long gone, I never heard of a slingbox.

I'm not still able to get those special promotions with an owned box will I?

#13 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:13 PM

I'm not still able to get those special promotions with an owned box will I?

Probably not. Those "new customer" promotions are based on the cost of getting (and keeping) a new customer for 2 years. I'd be very happy just to get DirecTV service as a new customer at the regular price without a commitment.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#14 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:50 AM

I never heard of a slingbox.

For more info: http://www.slingbox.com/

#15 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

This is a DirecTV program, where you are buying (not LEASING) the equipment directly from DirecTV, so, yes, I'm sure.

As I stated, this program is rarely used and most CSRs are probably not familiar with it, given that 99.9% of customers want all the free-upfront deals that come with leased equipment. Some may tell you it doesn't exist because they've never done one, but it certainly does exist, and supervisors will usually set them straight and help them find the info they need to process the order in their Help System.

#16 OFFLINE   sunking

sunking

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:17 AM

I'm going to be the grumpy old man and say that if you get everything you want while you are in college where is the incentive to do well make yourself a better life?

#17 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:28 AM

sunking, where did you go to school? In a monastery?

The OP wants to watch ESPN. I never realized not watching sports was part of being a broke college student.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,519 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:11 AM

sunking, where did you go to school? In a monastery?

The OP wants to watch ESPN. I never realized not watching sports was part of being a broke college student.

The university I attended had cable in the dorms with certain channels unavailable due to content but ESPN was there. I didn't have a lot of time for TV anyways with all of the studying.

When I moved off campus I had TV but I don't remember watching it much. Either I didn't and found other things to do or the shows I "couldn't live without" ended up being just that memorable. There are a few shows that were on when I was in college that I have been able to see in reruns/DVDs.

People need some time to relax so I'm not knocking watching TV while at college completely, but perhaps you can save some money and watch ESPN and other programming with other people in an environment where you don't have to pay for your own subscription?

#19 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:50 AM

I didn't own a TV until I was 26. But I can hardly begrudge a student for saying that it is important to him. Part of college is learning to make choices. The OP has made two in that wants TV, and he'd like DirecTV. Great. It means he can go out drinking maybe three times a month less often. Sounds like a fine trade-off to me.

My only advice would be cable might make more sense if it is available. No commitment and no up front costs.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#20 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:59 AM

My only advice would be cable might make more sense if it is available. No commitment and no up front costs.

Agree. When I recently called TWC Support, one of the first prompts was "Press '1' if you're a college students. Otherwise, press '2'." It seems like they would make an offer to a college student who: a) was on a budget, and B) wasn't looking for a long term commitment. One of the advantages of cable, unlike satellite always looking for long-term customers.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

spam firewall