Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24/H24 0x040D: Issues Only

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
93 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:03 AM

It is the 24-500.

What are people's "routine" to make sure both tuners are operating correctly before primetime?

I Reboot mine Prior to any Big Event which I will have to Record to Ensure that everything is working as well as possible.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   nick1817

nick1817

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:04 AM

Menu reboot seems to do it.

*sigh* guess I'll be rebooting every evening around 6; or ordering a second DVR.

Go Noles

#83 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:06 AM

Menu reboot seems to do it.

*sigh* guess I'll be rebooting every evening around 6; or ordering a second DVR.

Go Noles

Yes, GO NOLES!!!
Here's My Setup

#84 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:18 AM

I had a similar issue (no idea how to see "error report" last night. Channel 3 and 24 were recording simultaneously. 3 would not allow live manipulation or playback via list; 24 worked fine for manipulation and playback. All shows recorded on (call it tuner 2) appeared in the list, but would show up as a gray screen and "delete now" as soon as you selected it.

Did a restart through the menu and it solved it.

Is this an ongoing problem?

I had a problem last night where it said no information packet availavle and couldn't find it on the server ot something to that affect

#85 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:21 AM

I had a problem last night where it said no information packet availavle and couldn't find it on the server ot something to that affect

Sometimes the DVR can't fully lock onto the channel's signal when it is trying to record a requested recording so it Records an empty shell where there are No A/V Packets that have been transmitted for recording so you get that No A/V Packets Received because they just aren't there because the DVR didn't successfully tune to the channel.

GO NOLES!!!
Here's My Setup

#86 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:54 AM

Thanks and after all these years it is strange that this is the 1st time I have seen this.

Yes go Noles

#87 OFFLINE   metalmd

metalmd

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:19 PM

With HR24/100 and Denon AV1603, sound distorts after FF or rewind in Dolby Digital mode only (recorded or live programming). It is fine in non dolby.

#88 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:23 AM

I had a strange recording/playback problem with my HR24-500. A few nights ago we had a ~500ms power outage, the worse kind IMO. God knows what kind of transients this produces. The HR24 was recording a show on HGTV at the time. The box rebooted and over the next few days recorded a bunch of shows on various channels. Last night the wife wanted to watch some HGTV recordings. The playlist looked normal - all recordings were 30 mins, etc. However, none of the HGTV recordings played back. All other recorded programs were fine. A receiver restart corrected the problem.

2H/1J

#89 OFFLINE   tanasi

tanasi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:59 AM

I had my first failed AM21/HR24-500 recording yesterday under the newer release. It took a while as I am only recording one show now, Jeopardy, using OTA and it was repeats until two weeks ago. I'm recording everything else using Directv signal and have had no failures but I miss the crispness and clarity of the OTA signal. It seems to fail at least once every ten shows. If I could remember to pre-tune to 30-1 before the recording starts it would be nice.

#90 OFFLINE   GBFAN

GBFAN

Godfather

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:37 AM

I was watching Monday Night football and House was being recorded from 7:00 to 8:00. A message came up at 5 minutes before 8 stating it needed to change channels to record Two and a half men. It shouldn't need to change channels since that is the only program being recorded at 8:00. I selected to cancel the recording and then when House was finished recording at 8:00 I brought up the guide and selected to record Two and a half men from the guide. The DVR then immediately changed channels even though the other tuner was free. This of course wiped out the buffer for Monday night football.

#91 OFFLINE   bwclark

bwclark

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:51 PM

HR24-500
AM21

For a year and a half, I have had the KOD (Keep or Delete) menu show up randomly during playback of recorded shows on just one particular OTA channel. This occurred with my HR20-100 and is also occurring with my new HR24-500.

This problem was attributed to a signal issue with the station as it did not do it on any other OTA channels that I had recorded.

Well, now I am set to record the new season of OTA channel prime time shows. I have recorded Hawii Five-0 three times and not been able to watch one recording for more than 10 minutes before getting KOD. This is the notorious channel that was an issue before for 1.5 years. I was able to record and watch without interruption CSI Las Vegas last Thursday first show for the first time in a year! Why? no idea why it worked. NCIS LA worked for the first show also, but last nights recording gave me a KOD at about 25 minutes into the playback. ugh! This station is CBS.

Now the interesting part is that while the above failed playbacks were all on the "station that is bad", I tried to playback another recording Detroit 1-8-7 for the first time a recording on this OTA station (ABC) and it failed at about 10 minutes in giving me the KOD. This is a first.

This means that I have two stations that are sending out "bad" signals as if it were DTV there would be problems with all recordings via the OTA. Right

Of course I have checked the signal quality/strength via the menu and the stations signals are top notch at 95% or better. Not an strength issue, but something else, and now occurring on two OTA stations.

Pretty worthless when you can't record and playback most anything....bet a cable DVR could.

PS In order to watch CSI Las Vegas last season, I had to wait until the repeats occurred the next year and then record and watch them and they actually played back in most cases.....why? Looks like it will be watching repeats (first time in my case) next year to see some of shows for the new season.

Edited by bwclark, 29 September 2010 - 05:57 PM.

#92 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:11 AM

HR24-500
AM21

For a year and a half, I have had the KOD (Keep or Delete) menu show up randomly during playback of recorded shows on just one particular OTA channel. This occurred with my HR20-100 and is also occurring with my new HR24-500.

This problem was attributed to a signal issue with the station as it did not do it on any other OTA channels that I had recorded.

Well, now I am set to record the new season of OTA channel prime time shows. I have recorded Hawii Five-0 three times and not been able to watch one recording for more than 10 minutes before getting KOD. This is the notorious channel that was an issue before for 1.5 years. I was able to record and watch without interruption CSI Las Vegas last Thursday first show for the first time in a year! Why? no idea why it worked. NCIS LA worked for the first show also, but last nights recording gave me a KOD at about 25 minutes into the playback. ugh! This station is CBS.

Now the interesting part is that while the above failed playbacks were all on the "station that is bad", I tried to playback another recording Detroit 1-8-7 for the first time a recording on this OTA station (ABC) and it failed at about 10 minutes in giving me the KOD. This is a first.

This means that I have two stations that are sending out "bad" signals as if it were DTV there would be problems with all recordings via the OTA. Right

Of course I have checked the signal quality/strength via the menu and the stations signals are top notch at 95% or better. Not an strength issue, but something else, and now occurring on two OTA stations.

Pretty worthless when you can't record and playback most anything....bet a cable DVR could.

PS In order to watch CSI Las Vegas last season, I had to wait until the repeats occurred the next year and then record and watch them and they actually played back in most cases.....why? Looks like it will be watching repeats (first time in my case) next year to see some of shows for the new season.

While there is a definite problem with the HR24s and AM21s, the fact that you are getting part way into the recording makes me suspect that what you're seeing really is an OTA signal quality issue. Perhaps a wind gust, airplane, or something else is causing multipath interference leading to momentary signal loss.

What I and others have experienced is immediate Keep or Delete with random OTA recordings (no apparent pattern as to station, etc.) and also finding the box stuck on a frame when tuned to an OTA station. In my case, about 1/3 of OTA recordings are black screens that go immediately to KoD.

The good news in this is that if it is is a signal issue in your case, a change in antenna or antenna location may help. Just expect some OTA recordings to fail entirely until the software is fixed.

#93 OFFLINE   bwclark

bwclark

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:02 AM

While there is a definite problem with the HR24s and AM21s, the fact that you are getting part way into the recording makes me suspect that what you're seeing really is an OTA signal quality issue. Perhaps a wind gust, airplane, or something else is causing multipath interference leading to momentary signal loss.

What I and others have experienced is immediate Keep or Delete with random OTA recordings (no apparent pattern as to station, etc.) and also finding the box stuck on a frame when tuned to an OTA station. In my case, about 1/3 of OTA recordings are black screens that go immediately to KoD.

The good news in this is that if it is is a signal issue in your case, a change in antenna or antenna location may help. Just expect some OTA recordings to fail entirely until the software is fixed.

The only signal indication I have is Signal Strength via the DTV receiver readouts in the antenna menu. It shows the two stations in question to have 95%+ signal strength. Another station that records w/o any issues has signal strength of 75%.

I have talked to the CBS station engineer and they are not aware of any issues. All transmitters are within 5 degrees to the East of my antenna at 2000 feet el. and within 10 miles. This started in May of 2009 and there has been no change since even with a different DVR. Antenna w/amplifier remains working fine with excellent video & audio in realtime via the AM21. The AM21 was an improvement over the tuners in the HR20-100.

Looks like another year of watching the new shows via repeats in the Winter. ugh :mad:

I also had the issue on non recording while it shows recording with KOD immediate. Have not seen that happen for several weeks however. So, I have that issue plus "my" issue with recording playback or a double wammy of lack of useability of my DVR.

Edited by bwclark, 30 September 2010 - 10:10 AM.

#94 OFFLINE   GBFAN

GBFAN

Godfather

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

HR24-500 was unresponsive on 9/30/2010. We went to watch TV last Thursday night and the box was completely dark. I was expecting to see the record light on since we have multiple shows recording on Thursday night. The unit would not respond to the remote or the front panel. I had to pull the plug to restart it. It appears to be working ok since then.

spam firewall