Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722 DVR mod to combine HD and SD memory allocations?

setup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   archan2000

archan2000

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:43 AM

I only record HD programs in my vip722 DVR.

In the DVR interface I see that there is memory allocation for HD and SD. Wondering if there's a way I can use the SD memory for HD programming so that I can exceed the 55 hours of HD programming stored on my DVR.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:18 AM

That's numbers show approximate time for HD or SD recordings. It's not what you think.

#3 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,772 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:47 AM

You should also notice that both numbers will go down - i.e. the same storage is used for both. What the display is telling you is an approximation of how much space is left based on "all HD recording" or "all SD recording".
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,706 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:08 PM

As noted... those are estimates of available storage space if you record only HD or SD, respectively from this point forward. Any time you record anything you will see both estimates go down. Similarly, if you delete something both counts will go up.

It's not dedicated space for one format or the other.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

I have also found that it can actually hold nearly twice as much HD as it states. Most of the MPEG4 feeds take up half as much space as what I assume the counter is based on the old MPEG2 HD feeds.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,706 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:33 PM

I have also found that it can actually hold nearly twice as much HD as it states. Most of the MPEG4 feeds take up half as much space as what I assume the counter is based on the old MPEG2 HD feeds.

Yep.. it seems like the guestimate by the receiver is based on an average-to-worst-case MPEG2 SAT feed... which means MPEG4 SAT feeds usually take a lot less space BUT OTA recordings take a bit more.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...