Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Direct TV receiver to record antenna input?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Driver_1

Driver_1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:49 AM

Do any Direct TV receivers do this?

My Dish 625 is getting old, and when it goes, I don't want to lose my recordings. I'm thinking of going to Direct TV, and I'm looking at receivers on eBay (if they're clear).

What models will do this? Standard def or high def doesn't matter.

Thanks here...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:54 AM

Do any Direct TV receivers do this?

My Dish 625 is getting old, and when it goes, I don't want to lose my recordings. I'm thinking of going to Direct TV, and I'm looking at receivers on eBay (if they're clear).

What models will do this? Standard def or high def doesn't matter.

Thanks here...

Any DirecTV Branded Hx or HRx series receivers as well as the R22 have the ability to view and record off air local stations with the addition of an AM21 OTA module. The only exception is the HR20 which already has a built in tuner so it does not need the AM21 module.

However most receivers are leased, NOT owned. so if your looking to aquire one off someone else or ebay for that matter make sure to confirm with not only the seller (but direcTV by verifying the RID and serial number of the receiver), and that the unit is outright owned and available for your use in that regard.

*Also keep in mins that any previously used owned receiver will need a new access card for you to be able to subscribe with direcTV, as you can not use a previously used card from another account. The cost of a card is $20 and must be aquired directly from DirecTV.

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:04 AM

However.... what I think the OP is trying to do, is playback the recordings from his DISH receiver, into the DIRECTV one.

And in that case, no... none of them will do that.

The OTA recording that Yoda is referring to, is content that is already encoded in MPEG-2 DIGITAL format, which the output from your DISH recorder is not.

You would need to look at Video Capture device for your computer, or a DVD Recorder
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Driver_1

Driver_1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:19 AM

However.... what I think the OP is trying to do, is playback the recordings from his DISH receiver, into the DIRECTV one.

Yes - DishNW 625 'Line Out', through the coax, into the 'Antenna Input', on another Direct TV receiver, to re-record.

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:22 AM

Yes - DishNW 625 'Line Out', through the coax, into the 'Antenna Input', on another Direct TV receiver, to re-record.

Sorry to say, there is no DIRECTV DVR (old or new), that will do this.
The systems don't have ANALOG->DIGITAL encoders in them.

So unless you want to invest in the hardware to do OTA standard MPEG-2 encoding (Which is not cheap)... you will need to archive your old recordings to DVD or your computer.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   Driver_1

Driver_1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:36 AM

If they do not have analog -> digital encoders, then what is the AM21 OTA module to which Yoda refers?

And he says that the HR20 already has the AM21 tuner that allows viewing and recording OTA.

I'm confused here...

#7 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:49 AM

If they do not have analog -> digital encoders, then what is the AM21 OTA module to which Yoda refers?

And he says that the HR20 already has the AM21 tuner that allows viewing and recording OTA.

I'm confused here...

The tuners in the HR20 and the AM21 module are ATSC digital tuners. Your Dish 625 has an analog RF modulator. They will not talk to each other.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#8 OFFLINE   Driver_1

Driver_1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:00 AM

The tuners in the HR20 and the AM21 module are ATSC digital tuners. Your Dish 625 has an analog RF modulator. They will not talk to each other.

Ok - makes a little more sense here; I understand the 625 putting out RF.

And no receivers, Direct TV, or Dish, will record RF input?

#9 OFFLINE   Driver_1

Driver_1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:27 AM

Just got off the phone with a Dish CSR.

He said the 'Antenna' input, regardless of the signal, will play, BUT, it will not record, UNLESS the signal allows it to integrate into the broadcast programming, and show up in the guide display.

And RF input does not do this.

That sound right?

They make the system MORE complicated, and it loses capabilities???

#10 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:39 PM

Just got off the phone with a Dish CSR.

He said the 'Antenna' input, regardless of the signal, will play, BUT, it will not record, UNLESS the signal allows it to integrate into the broadcast programming, and show up in the guide display.

And RF input does not do this.

That sound right?

They make the system MORE complicated, and it loses capabilities???

Actually... they are making the systems less complicated (in this arena).
They are keeping JUST the digital tuners, since ANALOG broadcast signals for all intent and purpose are gone.

These DVRS just record the already encoded DIGITAL versions of broadcasts.
No need for fairly expense (to encode in real time) encoders, for something that would be not used in probably 99.9% of the user base.

I don't know DISH's hardware very well... but from your post, I am guessing that it has an ANALOG pass through, that it just pushed back out any analog signal that it receives, and doesn't attempt to do any recording of any type.

And again, if it is designed anything like the DIRECTV receivers, it will only record DIGITAL over the air signals.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#11 OFFLINE   hidef2010

hidef2010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:00 PM

Ok since we are on the topic of OTA tuners....... how do I get my hands on an AM21 OTA tuner for my HR22-100? I know you can get them online, but does D* have to somehow activate them? Or is it as simple as getting one and plugging it in?
Also, I read you can call D* and they may send you one for Free or for a $50.00 fee. If this is the case, do they just courrier it to you or do they send an installer to deliver it & hook it up?

Thanks
Hidef2010

#12 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:02 PM

You can order it from the DirecTv website. You just unplug your HR22, plug the AM21 into the HR22 power plug, and plug the power cord into the AM21. Plug in the USB cable and your OTA antenna, run Antenna Setup, choose your DMA, and you are good to go.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#13 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:03 PM

To get an AM21 connected to your HR22 it's very simple:

- Remove the power cord from the HR22
- Connect the USB cable from the AM21 to the HR22
- Connect your antenna cable to the AM21
- Connect the power cord that's attached to the AM21 to your HR22
- Plug the power cord that was going to the HR22 into the AM21, the HR22 will start to boot up.
- Once it's up go into the setup menu and where there used to be just the Satellite selection it's not Sat & Antenna, select that and go through the setup process.

DirecTV won't send someone out, they'll just FedEx out the AM21.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#14 OFFLINE   hidef2010

hidef2010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:12 PM

Thanks Guys, for the fast responses!! I really appreciate it! All my questions answered..I love DBStalk

Sorry Guys, I forgot to ask..... can I take the AM21 and use it with my setup in NY, all I want to know is if these AM21 units are "rigged" to work only for specific locations, or if they can be used anywhere, so long as you have access to OTA signals from the towers? In short can the AM21 be used anywhere?

Thanks

Hidef2010

Edited by hidef2010, 23 August 2010 - 08:23 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   hidef2010

hidef2010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

Sorry Guys, I forgot to ask..... can I take the AM21 and use it with my setup in NY, all I want to know is if these AM21 units are "rigged" to work only for specific locations, or if they can be used anywhere, so long as you have access to OTA signals from the towers? In short can the AM21 be used anywhere?

Thanks

Hidef2010

#16 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:17 AM

It will work anywhere. The receiver asks for a zip code but that is about it for the unit knowing where it is.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#17 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:18 AM

Thanks

Hidef2010

It will work in NY, it's location is set by entering your zip code in the antenna setup in the receivers setup menu.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#18 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:18 AM

They can be used anywhere with an HR21/2/3/4 -- BUT you will need to rerun the antenna setup using your new ZIP code. Then the machine will determine which OTA signals to provide you with for your new location. If you can receive signals from two adjacent markets you will need to also add a "secondary local" to the setup.

They will not work as a standalone ATSC tuner, though. They need to be hooked up to a supported D* box.
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

#19 OFFLINE   hidef2010

hidef2010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:29 PM

Thanks guys for the responses.
I know that they don't work as stand alone units.... I also want to know if when I hook it up to my HR22 in Buffalo NY, if I will also be able to get some of the Canadian OTA stations which are pretty close to Buffalo (40 miles across lake Ontario).
I can pick up a few Canadian OTA HD stations as well as all the Major US networks now just using the Antenna I have in the attic plugged into the back of my Pioneer Kuro HDTV.

Thanks

Hidef2010

Edited by hidef2010, 23 August 2010 - 02:37 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

I also want to know if when I hook it up to my HR22 in Buffalo NY, if I will also be able to get some of the Canadian OTA stations which are pretty close to Buffalo (40 miles across lake Ontario)

I don't think that Canadian stations are included in D* OTA database. If not...then no.

You can search the OTA threads for a possible workaround...that, IMHO, is more of a PITA than its worth. YMMV.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

spam firewall