Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Most career 5-hit games?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

A friend and I have been Googling to no avail to try to find which MLB player holds the record for most career 5-hit games. Wondering if anyone here knows? TIA.

And if you did find it by Googling, please let me know what search term found it for you! :lol:
/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,243 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

See if this helps Steve

http://www.baseball-...ooks/hits.shtml

JACK,

#3 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:22 AM

See if this helps Steve

Thanks, Jack. I saw that page. That site lists 9-inning 6-hit games (and a couple of 7 hit games, IIRC), but not most 5-hit games.
/steve

#4 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,243 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:27 AM

Steve call the WFAN ask Mike :lol:

JACK,

#5 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:32 AM

Steve call the WFAN ask Mike :lol:

I may have to! :lol:
/steve

#6 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,112 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

Google search: career 5-hit games

Ty Cobb with 14. (looks like one of those was a 6-hit game)

http://www.thebaseba...s/gwynnto01.php

#7 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

Thanks David! :) I saw that page on Gwynn earlier today, but didn't read it all the way through. D'oh!
/steve

#8 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,112 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

Thanks David! :) I saw that page on Gwynn earlier today, but didn't read it all the way through. D'oh!

Go Yankees!

#9 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:28 PM

Go Yankees!

They're 11-0 without ARod in the line-up this year, and he just went on the 15-day disabled list. Woo-hoo! :lol:
/steve

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:32 PM

XX-hit games is one of those weird stats that you're not sure how to read it. Admittedly I'm not big into baseball... but given the way it works, you can't get to 5 hits unless everyone else in your roster (exceptions made for pinch hitter/designated hitters) hits at least 4 times in the game.

So I'm inclined to think this is a stat that comes in clumps... by which I mean, if one guy gets a 5th hit I bet most times that happens others on the team also get there because it's probably an offense marathon unless we are talking extra innings where they get to bat just because the game gets played that long.

Also... it's not necessarily a testament to anything is it? I mean, you only get there IF everyone on your team is batting lights out and you're scoring a bazillion runs OR both teams are pitching a shutout and no one is really playing very well on offense.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#11 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:28 AM

Interesting. Both Gwynn and Rose came to mind when I first saw this thread. I didn't think of Cobb but now, that's the obvious answer.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:50 AM

XX-hit games is one of those weird stats that you're not sure how to read it. Admittedly I'm not big into baseball... but given the way it works, you can't get to 5 hits unless everyone else in your roster (exceptions made for pinch hitter/designated hitters) comes to the plate at least 4 times in the game.

Changed your post to the proper wording. Hope you don't mind.

So I'm inclined to think this is a stat that comes in clumps... by which I mean, if one guy gets a 5th hit I bet most times that happens others on the team also get there because it's probably an offense marathon unless we are talking extra innings where they get to bat just because the game gets played that long.

Also... it's not necessarily a testament to anything is it? I mean, you only get there IF everyone on your team is batting lights out and you're scoring a bazillion runs OR both teams are pitching a shutout and no one is really playing very well on offense.

Is it a testament to anything? Isn't the fact that the (arguably) best hitter of all time (can't argue with that .367 batting average) has the most five hit or more games in the long history of baseball enough?

Put simply, it's a huge accomplishment to get five hits in a game. Huge.

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,015 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:52 AM

Not necessarily. Every slot will bat at least 3 times in a 9 inning game. For the leadoff hitter to get to bat a 5th time, then there needs to be a combination of 10 hits/walks/errors/HBP etc over 8 2/3 innings. That is just a little bit over an on-base average of 1.15 per inning. So you could get a 5th at bat in a 0-0 game.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:59 AM

Interesting. Both Gwynn and Rose came to mind when I first saw this thread. I didn't think of Cobb but now, that's the obvious answer.

Cobb's always the first person I think of when it comes to hits. Just as the Babe is the first one that comes to mind when speaking of HRs.

Think of what it was like when Cobb was playing: Not really a hardball by today's standards. More like a small, soft ball. (Note that I did not mean "softball".) Not that many ballplayers stand out from those days. None of us saw Cobb play (well, maybe Cholly :)), or any of his cohorts. They got paid next to nothing and played the game for the love of it. And Cobb stood head and shoulders above them all.

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:20 AM

[...] Put simply, it's a huge accomplishment to get five hits in a game. Huge.

Agree. And what about six hits in a 9-inning game? A few have done that as well, and four players actually did it twice!

http://www.baseball-...ts_1_game.shtml

Also came across another stat while searching for this. Johnny Damon is one of 5 players who's had 3 hits in an inning!

/steve

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:32 AM

Agree. And what about six hits in a 9-inning game? A few have done that as well, and four players actually did it twice!

Also came across another stat while searching for this. Johnny Damon is one of 5 players who's had 3 hits in an inning!

6 hits in a game is hard to believe. When I was forty, I had fourteen hits in a row over about three games in one league. Started to take notice of what I was doing when I got into my late 30s. Up until then, I just kept my batting averages. Up until then, baseball in any form was easy for me. After that, the pain...

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:36 AM

One of Cashmen's big mistakes was letting JD go. Hope he has the sense to get us Carl Crawford next year, I hope, I hope, I hope. Before anyone says Damon's not having a good year, put him back hitting second on the Yankees and his stats would be much better this year.

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

I was omitting something in my thought process there, so thanks for the catch/corrections...

I was somehow equating hits with at bats a whole more than I should have... since at least 3 of those at bats would have to result in an out per inning or they'd never finish the game :) Also, I guess walks and hit-batters just count as on-base and not hits either.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:22 PM

I was omitting something in my thought process there, so thanks for the catch/corrections...

I was somehow equating hits with at bats a whole more than I should have... since at least 3 of those at bats would have to result in an out per inning or they'd never finish the game :) Also, I guess walks and hit-batters just count as on-base and not hits either.

Right. It's not that unusual for a player to get up five times a game, but as you can see, getting hits each time is pretty difficult.

Rich

#20 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:02 PM

[...] Also, I guess walks and hit-batters just count as on-base and not hits either.

Nor do they count as "at bats".
/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...