Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

30 Skip on R15s?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,156 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

One of my trusted, old HDVR2 DirecTIVOs finally kicked the bucket, so DirecTV sent me a free replacement, an R15, to take its place. Yuck.

OK, the fact that I hate this model aside, how does one activate 30 skip? I thought it's by entering "30SKIP" in the search function, but that isn't working.

BTW, did I mention that I really hate this crappy model #?

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:31 PM

To activate 30skip on a R15 is trade it in on a R22 or HR2X and then do a keyword search for 30skip. Sorry, the R15/R16 don't do 30skip/slip AFAIK.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,156 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:33 PM

Well, THAT doesn't help my dilemma!

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#4 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:52 PM

Well, THAT doesn't help my dilemma!

"30 skip" on an R15 doesn't look like it's EVER going to happen. But I've become pretty good at using forward advance speed 3 at zooming over commercials!! Practice some yourself and you'll get the hang of it.

Remember, even the HD DVR's and R22's come with "30 slip" enabled and probably 90% of DirecTV customers have no idea that "skip" can be enabled.

This is probably so that new "RULES" don't come out (like the one where you can only watch a PPV movie on your DVR for 24 hours) FORCING you to watch the commercials. I'm still surprised that there hasn't been some sort of legislation banning skipping commercials with a DVR...

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#5 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:59 PM

I have 30 skip and still get a good dose of commercials. No rules are needed, we are always going to see some of them.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

spam firewall