Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

No Description Available

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   prestone683

prestone683

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:01 AM

I've posted once before, but didn't really hear much back.

Is anyone else having a whole mess of programs with 'No Description Available, or is it just me?

A lot of the first run info is affected, but the show's title will be available, it just doesn't give the 'synopsis of the show'. So FREAKING ANNOYING...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:23 AM

Is anyone else having a whole mess of programs with 'No Description Available, or is it just me?

You could try refreshing the guide data. To do this, restart the DVR two straight times (2 restarts within a 30-minute period).

:)

#3 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

I'm getting this as well, but I've likened more to the networks not providing it to tribune than anything else. The timings seem to be correct as I've not missed recording anything.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:04 PM

I've had this problem with my H20 receiver. I use it periodically and unplug it when I'm not using it. When I first reboot it, I have about two hours worth of the program guide, some with no program descriptions. I assume this is the boot-up load and more will be added later, but about the time the two hour list gets close to running out, the issue you described has happened. All the program lists revert to "no description" (including the music channels), and you can't even tell what show is on next or what music channel you're tuned to (unless you know its channel number). This lasts anywhere from a few minutes to an hour and then the list repopulates with new information and all the descriptors. It is then usually listed out to about a 24 hour period. This seems like a normal sequence to go from a short boot-up list to the extended one, except for the annoyance of having the list clear itself out during the transition, since it makes program navigating impossible during that time. Haven't tried rebooting, but I assume this would launch the short list again. It may be something that just has to be accepted if one wants to power down the receiver.
I've never observed the list clearing itself once the long list pops up.

#5 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,858 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

I'm getting this as well, but I've likened more to the networks not providing it to tribune than anything else. The timings seem to be correct as I've not missed recording anything.

I'm seeing it a lot on new runs of new series, way more than I used to. I have the same theory as you, Doug....they aren't getting current info from the networks, for whatever reason.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#6 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

I've noticed more of that too... My girlfriend has FiOS, and we've had a lot of recent discussions like, "Where is Man v. Food tonight? My guide says 'No Description Available.'" She will then say, "It says right here on my guide that he's in Austin, trying to eat tacos."

So I don't think it's an issue with the networks not providing descriptions. There's something going on with our DirecTV guides.

#7 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

A lot of the first run info is affected, but the show's title will be available, it just doesn't give the 'synopsis of the show'. So FREAKING ANNOYING...

Yes Im also seeing this

JACK,

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,610 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:59 AM

I get them all the time. Doesn't matter, I never miss recordings. Just out of curiosity, why do you find it so annoying? It's such a small thing...

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   prestone683

prestone683

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

Well, I tried the double reset thing, and it doesn't seem to have fixed. It's just annoying because I have a premium TV, premium receiver, premium service, and a fast baked guide.

Just tonight, I get the White Collar new episode to show up, but with NO DESCRIPTION AVAILABLE.

Sometimes it includes the actors' names, sometimes not. Sometimes it'll show first air date, sometimes not (and I understand that based on the age of the program, they don't know it, but come on...)

It's JUST SO ANNOYING...

#10 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:26 PM

I get them all the time. Doesn't matter, I never miss recordings. Just out of curiosity, why do you find it so annoying? It's such a small thing...

Rich

I find it annoying because I want to know if it's a show I want to watch! For instance, if House Hunters is in a city I want to live in, I will tune in or set it to record... If it's in Detroit or Buffalo, I won't. (No offense to those of you in Detroit of Buffalo.)

Just out of curiosity, why would you be curious to find out why it annoys me? It's such a big thing.

#11 OFFLINE   prestone683

prestone683

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:29 PM

I find it annoying because I want to know if it's a show I want to watch! For instance, if House Hunters is in a city I want to live in, I will tune in or set it to record... If it's in Detroit or Buffalo, I won't. (No offense to those of you in Detroit of Buffalo.)

Just out of curiosity, why would you be curious to find out why it annoys me? It's such a big thing.

Completely agree. I'm glad its not just me. I thought maybe I had a problem or something.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...