Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fox widescreen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   John79605

John79605

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:32 PM

I have strictly SD service, nothing HD in the house.
I'm in the Abilene/Sweetwater DMA.
Since our Fox affiliate, KXVA, went digital at the changeover deadline I've been watching widescreen programs OTA, letterboxed, through a converter, and switching to Dish for the 4:3 programs to get a fullscreen picture. The Sunday cartoons are not all widescreen yet. Last week I noticed the widescreen programs were letterboxed on Dish and the 4:3 programs were still fullscreen. Friday at the beginning of the football game an announcer was saying "the black bars are normal" when I tuned in, so I think Fox has changed a feed or a flag or something. What has changed?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,785 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:18 PM

I can't say, since I'm tuning to HD feeds even on my SD TV... but there has been mention this season, at least with FOX sports broadcasts, of them sending everything in letterbox format so 4:3 TVs would get that in letterbox supposedly now instead of a 4:3 feed.

Not sure it applies to anything but sports though.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   John79605

John79605

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:45 PM

Letterbox sure makes sense for sports. It might apply to all of the network feeds since Simpsons on Dish was letterboxed last week. Maybe this year there won't be any 4:3 programs on Fox. It's like the switch from B/W to color.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:41 PM

Folks are slowly being weaned off of 4:3 for new content. Previously, even the 16x9 HD feed had to keep all of the information in the "4:3-safe" box in the center. Now that Fox is letterboxing the 4:3 feed, they can use all of the 16x9 real estate.

As old SDTVs die and are replaced by 16:9 TVs, this is a win for everyone. Of course, in the meantime, 4:3 TV owners will complain, but time stands still for no one.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...