Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Does everyone have problems credits and refunds?

youtube

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gitarzan

gitarzan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:30 PM

Is it just me or does everyone have these kinds of problems?

New account activated recently. First bill I was charged $10 twice for HD service. I called and had it resolved on my second bill. No big deal.

My father signed up a month later and got his first bill this week. He was also charged twice for HD access.

Returned a receiver on a previous account on June 26, 2010. Shipped on June 20th. I was charged $265 on August 13th for non return of a receiver. DirecTV acknowledges getting it and have now finally sent me a letter that tells me that my account has been credited. When I call and ask about it my account shows a $0 balance and that it will be another 6-8 weeks before a refund is issued. I finally was able to talk to a CSR supervisor to explain my problem on Thursday night. He said he would look into it. I haven't heard back yet.

I have had multiple issues with past new customer credits and referral credits that stopped after 5 months when they should have lasted 10 months. These had to be resolved through Ellens office. I am patient and polite with DirecTV when I talk. Do other people have billing and credit issues?
Almost there.
A few more seconds please...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:46 PM

Never had a problem with a credit, so no.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:56 PM

Customer for almost 2 years and never had a problem with any credits, and I have/had numerous ones. Also, never had any problem with any billing issues. Sometimes the 'timing' of doing things between billing periods look like they create billing issues but when I look at the details everything works out fine.
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#4 OFFLINE   eric_n_dfw

eric_n_dfw

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

I had several issues with my first couple of bills, but DTV resolved all of them after a few emails and Twitter post:

- missing HD for Life credit - will be in place for 2nd bill and credited for charge on first bill
- missing Referral credit - CSR screw up, they're crediting me and my referrer $100 each on the next bill.
- system wouldn't let me sign up for the rebate credit before the install so have to wait for 2nd bill for it to start.

#5 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:27 AM

Customer for 16+ years. No special problem with D*. You're lucky if you never spent time with Pegasus.

#6 OFFLINE   CTJon

CTJon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:04 AM

Never really had a problem until I was forced to cancel my service because I was moving. I returned my DVR's as required. The next month I had a $99 credit on my bill and was awaiting its return to me. Two months later I was changed on a credit card (not even sure where they got it) for my DVR's - still no return of my credit. Looked online and the next day the "reversed" the missing DVR charge on my account but not on my credit card. I called them 10 days later when I got my credit card bill. They acknowledged the credits I was due and "expedited" my credit on my credit card so I'd get it in 8-10 business days. I strongly suspect they were increasing their cash flow at my expense. If Congress really wants to reform things they'd required credits to be issued with the same speed as debits are issued.

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:12 AM

I had a FREE PPV gift. Bought a movie and it did not credit me. Had to call.
Also, when a free 3 months of some programming like the HD package runs out they start charging before the 3 months is up.
Had to call and get that fixed.

Having said that, they are pretty good at giving special things if you call and ask them "What can we do with my bill to lower it some" .

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:51 AM

Major billing problems can occur when DirecTV systems don't communicate. Twice I have returned failed equipment which DirecTV did not acknowledge and later billed the full amount. I learned early to keep copies of all documents and could prove FedEx delivered the receivers. What DirecTV did with them after than may still be a mystery. It took more than one billing cycle to straighten it out each time. Autopay would have resulted in about $500 of account credits rather than cash credits to my credit card. I would prefer the latter but this is not a option with DirecTV.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#9 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

Autopay would have resulted in about $500 of account credits rather than cash credits to my credit card. I would prefer the latter but this is not a option with DirecTV.

If I ever send back anything to them, it will be on the 17th, so I have a full month to get it resolved. I would be super pissed if they had a free loan for the 6 or 7 months it would take me to use that up.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,960 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:03 AM

We had issues when we came back to Directv about 4 years ago. We got the Free Premier if you buy ST deal. It was supposed to last 5 months, and they blew it by charging full price after 2 months. We had to call every month for months 3, 4, & 5. It was annoying, and they offered Premier for $50/month for an extra 3 months for the "error & trouble." Guess what? They botched those, too! :lol: Had to call again 2 times...They got the final month right. :rolleyes: Go figure.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:09 AM

The only issue I've had with billing was a few years back when I had to cancel NFLST twice.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:32 AM

Is it just me or does everyone have these kinds of problems?

New account activated recently. First bill I was charged $10 twice for HD service. I called and had it resolved on my second bill. No big deal.

My father signed up a month later and got his first bill this week. He was also charged twice for HD access.

Returned a receiver on a previous account on June 26, 2010.

Why would you have a previous acct if you are still a customer?

#13 OFFLINE   gitarzan

gitarzan

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:07 AM

Why would you have a previous acct if you are still a customer?

Six months ago I suspended my account and switched to cable to save some money and also I was unhappy with the audio dropouts discussed in another place here. At the end of the 6 months I cancelled and sent my HR21 back. A couple of weeks later I received an offer in the mail to come back for half off for a year. That was an impulse buy as I hadn't planned on coming back so soon.
Almost there.
A few more seconds please...

#14 OFFLINE   Av8r

Av8r

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:12 PM

I became a new customer a few weeks ago, and just had my first disappointment with them. I have a 3D tv so I paid for "Imax under the sea" and have yet to watch the whole thing. I've had various friends coming over and I use it to show off how great the 3d is. I didn't realize that I get charged every time I turn it on. I was charged 5 times last month. When I called I was told that even though I'm a new customer, I have to eat the charges. They were willing to give me 1 per lifetime credit, but I thought I should save that for a bigger problem.

Anyway I understand that all cable/satellite companies have that policy due to an FCC directive. It just took the bloom off my happiness with D*. It seems they would have a policy of crediting new customers for these kinds of mistakes.

I have yet to see the whole show, and I'm not willing to pay yet another $5 to see it.

#15 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:25 PM

I became a new customer a few weeks ago, and just had my first disappointment with them. I have a 3D tv so I paid for "Imax under the sea" and have yet to watch the whole thing. I've had various friends coming over and I use it to show off how great the 3d is. I didn't realize that I get charged every time I turn it on. I was charged 5 times last month. When I called I was told that even though I'm a new customer, I have to eat the charges. They were willing to give me 1 per lifetime credit, but I thought I should save that for a bigger problem.

Anyway I understand that all cable/satellite companies have that policy due to an FCC directive. It just took the bloom off my happiness with D*. It seems they would have a policy of crediting new customers for these kinds of mistakes.

I have yet to see the whole show, and I'm not willing to pay yet another $5 to see it.

You don't get charged "every time you turn it on." You have 24hrs from the time you start watching it before it goes away and you get charged again. After that 24 hrs THEN you correctly get charged again. You can watch it as many times as you want during that 24hrs.

All providers do this and it is stated you have 24hrs when you purchase each and every movie. Why should they credit you for not reading/understanding the same rules all TV providers have? That would create a LOT of abuse if they just credited everyone who watched a movie 5 times.

#16 OFFLINE   Blaze

Blaze

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:31 PM

Also, when a free 3 months of some programming like the HD package runs out they start charging before the 3 months is up.
Had to call and get that fixed.

They will start charging on the second month bill you get charged a month ahead.

IF ANYONE RETURNS RECEIVERS SHIP IT BY POST OFFICE GET INSURANCE ON THEM $500 A PIECE.;)

Edited by Blaze, 24 August 2010 - 12:39 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   Av8r

Av8r

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:16 AM

You don't get charged "every time you turn it on." You have 24hrs from the time you start watching it before it goes away and you get charged again. After that 24 hrs THEN you correctly get charged again. You can watch it as many times as you want during that 24hrs.

All providers do this and it is stated you have 24hrs when you purchase each and every movie. Why should they credit you for not reading/understanding the same rules all TV providers have? That would create a LOT of abuse if they just credited everyone who watched a movie 5 times.

I certainly didn't say, nor would I expect them to "credit everyone who watched a movie 5 times" That would be ludicrous. There is a lot to read and learn when one first becomes a satellite customer. I just said it took the bloom off my happiness at being at D* customer. It would be a simple matter to credit customers in their first 30 days for some simple mistakes. It would hardly cost them anything. The CSR I talked to agreed with me.

#18 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:54 AM

"I've watched 30 PPV's in my 1st 30 days, you're charging me for each one? I thought PPV was a flat monthly rate like Netflix? "

"Since I'm new and didnt know the rules can't you just credit me the $150+ in charges I racked up?"

You can see by my example that it could potentially cost lots for them to give everyone a free pass for making new customer mistakes...

#19 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:02 AM

I just said it took the bloom off my happiness at being at D* customer. It would be a simple matter to credit customers in their first 30 days for some simple mistakes. It would hardly cost them anything. The CSR I talked to agreed with me.

Sorry, I disagree, at least on your specific example of your PPV issue. That is a non-issue because that information is clearly available. I am glad for you that they gave you the refund, I just disagree with the "they should give us a break when we do a dumb thing because we're new." I wish cops followed that rule ..... "Officer, I just got my license and didn't realize that driving drunk could kill someone. Yes, I've seen it on TV and in driving school but still, give me a break." <written with tongue in cheek of course> :)

#20 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:09 AM

I'm more sympathetic to Av8r. An unoffical thirty day grace period could go a long ways toward building customer loyalty. You'd have to leave it up to CSRs to make sure this policy wasn't being abused but as an old retailer, I instantly knew the difference between a customer screw-up and someone trying to cheat me.

It goes back to my favorite salesman's phrase: You can kill the calf once. You can fleece a sheep many times.

:D
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: youtube

Protected By... spam firewall...And...